Re: H.R.H.

OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote: March 1st, 2024, 7:41 pm
Stan A. Einstein wrote: March 1st, 2024, 7:31 pm
OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote: March 1st, 2024, 7:20 pm
That's correct. First place I ever got served despite being underage. Old cider barrels with a piece of cloth on top as seats, Pints of rough Cider straight from the barrel. If you was lucky you didn't have any bits of straw in it. Convivial conservation with the likes of 'starky'. An iconic 'tramp', if that's still an acceptable word, nowadays.
Do you remember when Starky wore a chefs hat? I doubt I've thought of that in 50 years. When I was sixteen I used to work in J Sexty & Son fruit wholesale merchant and banana salesman, in Market St. Starky would come along most mornings to bum a shilling. I don't think I ever said no. Mermories of times long gone. We're getting to the end of the day old chum.
Bloody hell yes. A Torque Blanche, I seem to recall, 'acquired' from the TA , on the corner of Cambrian Road. Forgotten all about that until you triggered my memory.
Bloody hell, the TA. That was the first pub I took my then girlfriend (now my wife) to in Newport when she got off the train when I met her. Lovely place. It was right across from the old station entrance.

pembsexile wrote: March 2nd, 2024, 12:13 am
That's correct. First place I ever got served despite being underage. Old cider barrels with a piece of cloth on top as seats, Pints of rough Cider straight from the barrel. If you was lucky you didn't have any bits of straw in it. Convivial conservation with the likes of 'starky'. An iconic 'tramp', if that's still an acceptable word, nowadays.
Do you remember when Starky wore a chefs hat? I doubt I've thought of that in 50 years. When I was sixteen I used to work in J Sexty & Son fruit wholesale merchant and banana salesman, in Market St. Starky would come along most mornings to bum a shilling. I don't think I ever said no. Mermories of times long gone. We're getting to the end of the day old chum.
Bloody hell yes. A Torque Blanche, I seem to recall, 'acquired' from the TA , on the corner of Cambrian Road. Forgotten all about that until you triggered my memory.
Bloody hell, the TA. That was the first pub I took my then girlfriend (now my wife) to in Newport when she got off the train when I met her. Lovely place. It was right across from the old station entrance.
Yes indeed, up market from the NFO of course I sometimes frequented in the early 70's when actually old enough to be legitimately served. Large establishment with upstairs and downstairs bars and restaurant's. Believe it may have been part of the 'Bernie Inn' franchise as has been suggested. Remember Starky sometimes creeping around there trying to 'scrounge' a few pennies before being thrown out.

lowandhard wrote: March 2nd, 2024, 8:19 am It wasn’t one of my haunts but how about inviting him to the Robin Hood where he could be robbed of his entire royal fortune and the spoils distributed to the local needy.
They only go into Pizza Express in Windsor apparently as its no sweat to get in there......

True story about The Lamb. About 6 years ago I brought some friends to Newport for the weekend, six of us altogether. Quite topical as we were playing Mansfield that day and it was the same day that Status Quo were playing Caldicot castle.

Decided to go the the Lamb for some pre game drinks. I had my County top on. I didn’t realise that at the time the Lamb was used for away fans only. I was getting some strange looks and gestures from some fans outside and didn’t know why. Eventually the landlord at the time came up to me and asked us all to leave. We did so. My friends thought it was hilarious that I had been telling them all about Newport and didn’t know about the Lamb. 🙈 Very embarrassing.

pembsexile wrote: March 2nd, 2024, 10:15 am True story about The Lamb. About 6 years ago I brought some friends to Newport for the weekend, six of us altogether. Quite topical as we were playing Mansfield that day and it was the same day that Status Quo were playing Caldicot castle.

Decided to go the the Lamb for some pre game drinks. I had my County top on. I didn’t realise that at the time the Lamb was used for away fans only. I was getting some strange looks and gestures from some fans outside and didn’t know why. Eventually the landlord at the time came up to me and asked us all to leave. We did so. My friends thought it was hilarious that I had been telling them all about Newport and didn’t know about the Lamb. 🙈 Very embarrassing.
Don't worry. I've been asked to leave lots of Newport pubs In my time 😬

pembsexile wrote: March 2nd, 2024, 12:13 am
Mrs UPTHEPORT and myself had our wedding reception in the TA in 87

I remember taking a friend to the NFO. I told him he was about to see the world's roughest pub. Being from Chester and both of us studying in Liverpool until we were actually inside he didn't believe me. I think it was the silver foil attached to chewing gum hanging from the ceiling which finally convinced him.

What was the very dodgy pub in the corner of the 'old' John Frost Square by the bus station steps which seemed to be raided/closed down every other week? I would have been too young or too scared to venture in there at the time - seem to remember it had cheap tinsel 'curtains' in the windows?

G Guest wrote: March 11th, 2024, 2:20 pm I remember the one you mean I think. I can't remember the name but think the name was taken from the building's shape. Was it the "Bridge Bar" or something like that?
I think it was, although I remember going more into the Robin Hood and Conti's in Llanarth Street, and the Sovereign downstairs in the Kingsway Centre.

Bangitintrnet wrote: March 11th, 2024, 3:27 pm
G Guest wrote: March 11th, 2024, 2:20 pm I remember the one you mean I think. I can't remember the name but think the name was taken from the building's shape. Was it the "Bridge Bar" or something like that?
I think it was, although I remember going more into the Robin Hood and Conti's in Llanarth Street, and the Sovereign downstairs in the Kingsway Centre.
The Bridge Bar was in Emlyn Walk, where Wilks was.
The one by the bus station steps I think was Oscars