Re: H.R.H.

Chris Davis wrote: March 1st, 2024, 4:13 pm Pity the New Found Out has closed.
I only went in there once, on a lunchtime when I'd not long been legal to drink. I think they'd been some trouble the night before because they was about two chairs to sit on and no baize on the pool table.

In those days we used to call them pubs 'with character'...

wattsville_boy wrote: March 1st, 2024, 6:04 pm
I only went in there once, on a lunchtime when I'd not long been legal to drink. I think they'd been some trouble the night before because they was about two chairs to sit on and no baize on the pool table.

No that was the normal decor. They also had an absolute necessity that you don't often see these days. - a spittoon.

Chris Davis wrote: March 1st, 2024, 6:19 pm

No that was the normal decor. They also had an absolute necessity that you don't often see these days. - a spittoon.
That's correct. First place I ever got served despite being underage. Old cider barrels with a piece of cloth on top as seats, Pints of rough Cider straight from the barrel. If you was lucky you didn't have any bits of straw in it. Convivial conservation with the likes of 'starky'. An iconic 'tramp', if that's still an acceptable word, nowadays.

Chris Davis wrote: March 1st, 2024, 6:19 pm

That's correct. First place I ever got served despite being underage. Old cider barrels with a piece of cloth on top as seats, Pints of rough Cider straight from the barrel. If you was lucky you didn't have any bits of straw in it. Convivial conservation with the likes of 'starky'. An iconic 'tramp', if that's still an acceptable word, nowadays.

OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote: March 1st, 2024, 7:20 pm
Do you remember when Starky wore a chefs hat? I doubt I've thought of that in 50 years. When I was sixteen I used to work in J Sexty & Son fruit wholesale merchant and banana salesman, in Market St. Starky would come along most mornings to bum a shilling. I don't think I ever said no. Mermories of times long gone. We're getting to the end of the day old chum.

Stan A. Einstein wrote: March 1st, 2024, 7:31 pm
OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote: March 1st, 2024, 7:20 pm
Do you remember when Starky wore a chefs hat? I doubt I've thought of that in 50 years. When I was sixteen I used to work in J Sexty & Son fruit wholesale merchant and banana salesman, in Market St. Starky would come along most mornings to bum a shilling. I don't think I ever said no. Mermories of times long gone. We're getting to the end of the day old chum.
Bloody hell yes. A Torque Blanche, I seem to recall, 'acquired' from the TA , on the corner of Cambrian Road. Forgotten all about that until you triggered my memory.