Re: Bar Amber closed?

Exile 1976 wrote: March 11th, 2024, 6:52 pm
I'd like to know how big the 'surrounding area' is. I was in town yesterday evening from approx 19.20 to 20.30. I parked by the Civic centre and walking into town. There was a police car by the Lamb and an officer talking to a few men outside, there was a van with at least two young boys inside outside McDonalds and another police car up the top of high street. I think the altercation took part on the corner of high street and bridge street but my guess is it comes under the 'surrounding area' the police are using.

I got the bus home from the Market bus station. While I was waiting two drunks started a fight.

Neither fight were the cause of drinking in pubs The two young boys are part of the contingent that hang outside McDonalds, making a nuisance of themselves. The drunks are regular faces hanging around the Market bus station. Both incidents may have been prevented if the police occasionally turned up and moved those people on...

[tin hat on and previous rabbit holes avoided] - surely this has a lot to do with the 'othering' of football fans and perhaps a bit of classism? - I go to a few rugby internationals in Cardiff every year and while generally friendly and fun I still see a LOT of trouble (nothing truly awful but some iffy behaviors certainly) - the demon drink is an issue across UK towns a cities but I do feel the police have too much Carte Blanche on this.
Last edited by CathedralCounty on March 13th, 2024, 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

wattsville_boy wrote: March 11th, 2024, 4:29 pm Probably the same reasons that Tiny Rebel is closing at the end of March. Not financially viable anymore. But Newport City Council refuse to accept that the city centre is in terminal decline....
Issue for lots of towns and cities sadly even far 'nicer' towns have empty shops - after sticking up for it for so long I have to say I do feel a bit depressed at Newport now, admittedly not at its best in the wet and cold anyway, think councils, commercial landlords, planners, 'powers that be' need to rethink the high street and maybe look to convert shops into community spaces or flats or even knock down shops altogether and have small urban parks in their place?

Why not use the old Debenhams as a learning space (say a hospitality training academy?) - easier said than done of course but a bit of ambition and drive could make a huge difference.

CathedralCounty wrote: March 13th, 2024, 9:45 am [tin hat on and previous rabbit holes avoided] - surely this has a lot to do with the 'othering' of football fans and perhaps a bit of classism? - I go to a few rugby internationals in Cardiff every year and while generally friendly and fun I still see a LOT of trouble (nothing truly awful but some iffy behaviors certainly) - the demon drink is an issue across UK towns a cities but I do feel the police have too much Carte Blanche on this.
You’re right on that, victimised already under the alcohol and sports grounds act. Often I’d like to pocket my whisky flask on a winters night to keep me bright and cheerful but have no wish to be prosecuted. You can drink all the way through rugby games ( which is a good thing usually if you’re watching Wales 😂)

CathedralCounty wrote: March 13th, 2024, 9:53 am
wattsville_boy wrote: March 11th, 2024, 4:29 pm Probably the same reasons that Tiny Rebel is closing at the end of March. Not financially viable anymore. But Newport City Council refuse to accept that the city centre is in terminal decline....
Issue for lots of towns and cities sadly even far 'nicer' towns have empty shops - after sticking up for it for so long I have to say I do feel a bit depressed at Newport now, admittedly not at its best in the wet and cold anyway, think councils, commercial landlords, planners, 'powers that be' need to rethink the high street and maybe look to convert shops into community spaces or flats or even knock down shops altogether and have small urban parks in their place?

Why not use the old Debenhams as a learning space (say a hospitality training academy?) - easier said than done of course but a bit of ambition and drive could make a huge difference.
Well said, within 10 minutes my wife and I came up with many ideas to revitalise the city centre. I sent a few of them to the council but of course - sweet fa.

CathedralCounty wrote: March 13th, 2024, 9:45 am [tin hat on and previous rabbit holes avoided] - surely this has a lot to do with the 'othering' of football fans and perhaps a bit of classism? - I go to a few rugby internationals in Cardiff every year and while generally friendly and fun I still see a LOT of trouble (nothing truly awful but some iffy behaviors certainly) - the demon drink is an issue across UK towns a cities but I do feel the police have too much Carte Blanche on this.
I didn't suggest that neither incident wasn't the result of alcohol, merely that the source of the alcohol almost certainly wasn't bought in any of the pubs in that area. The McDonalds youngsters usually get someone older to buy them alcohol, possibly from the shop opposite McDonalds. The drunks get their alcohol in the shop on the corner of Upper Dock Street and Griffin Street. Dispersal notices for both groups may not stop similar incidents, merely move the problem on, but does make the enjoyment of going into town for a few beers a less enjoyable experience.

However at the risk of sounding like a conspiracy theorist I don't think drunkenness, antisocial behaviour and the increasing restrictions on licenced premises are accidental. It's all part of the policies designed to move alcohol consumption from town centres to homes. It's why the Government allow increasing numbers of pubs to go out of business without offering any tax breaks for the industry. You force people to drink at home, and therefore in smaller groups, the anti-social effects of drunkenness and the ensuing violence that sometimes comes from it is much easier for the police to manage. And who cares about aggressive beggers or alcoholics in the town centres if no-one goes there in night time hours anymore...

I wonder how long before they outlaw the attendance at football matches? It does concern me slightly about the soft moves towards a totalitarian society. The 1984 that Orwell wrote about is definitely coming, but possibly not in my lifetime...

wattsville_boy wrote: March 13th, 2024, 6:57 pm
I didn't suggest that neither incident wasn't the result of alcohol, merely that the source of the alcohol almost certainly wasn't bought in any of the pubs in that area. The McDonalds youngsters usually get someone older to buy them alcohol, possibly from the shop opposite McDonalds. The drunks get their alcohol in the shop on the corner of Upper Dock Street and Griffin Street. Dispersal notices for both groups may not stop similar incidents, merely move the problem on, but does make the enjoyment of going into town for a few beers a less enjoyable experience.

However at the risk of sounding like a conspiracy theorist I don't think drunkenness, antisocial behaviour and the increasing restrictions on licenced premises are accidental. It's all part of the policies designed to move alcohol consumption from town centres to homes. It's why the Government allow increasing numbers of pubs to go out of business without offering any tax breaks for the industry. You force people to drink at home, and therefore in smaller groups, the anti-social effects of drunkenness and the ensuing violence that sometimes comes from it is much easier for the police to manage. And who cares about aggressive beggers or alcoholics in the town centres if no-one goes there in night time hours anymore...

I wonder how long before they outlaw the attendance at football matches? It does concern me slightly about the soft moves towards a totalitarian society. The 1984 that Orwell wrote about is definitely coming, but possibly not in my lifetime...
I don't think there is any conspiracy but it is easier to manage people if they aren't out and about, the licensed trade has changed so much even in my short lifetime the police/council far prefer pubs serving food than 'wet' pubs - I don't go 'out out' so wouldn't know if its still a 'thing' to go out and get hammered I tend to get mildly drunk on meals out with Mrs Cathedral and have a few pints around football days but rarely if ever get smashed out or at home.

CathedralCounty wrote: March 14th, 2024, 9:13 am
wattsville_boy wrote: March 13th, 2024, 6:57 pm

I don't think there is any conspiracy but it is easier to manage people if they aren't out and about, the licensed trade has changed so much even in my short lifetime the police/council far prefer pubs serving food than 'wet' pubs - I don't go 'out out' so wouldn't know if its still a 'thing' to go out and get hammered I tend to get mildly drunk on meals out with Mrs Cathedral and have a few pints around football days but rarely if ever get smashed out or at home.
Up until the early 80's all pubs were wet only, with pies and rolls the only food on offer. Then came meals in a basket which were a favourite of country pubs, and in town centres wine bars. The Windsor Castle was a wine bar for a time, and opposite was Ziggys Bar downstairs ,which was a former restaurant but didn't sell food.

At the time the pub crawl was king. I know from my daughters that meeting up to have pre drinks in someone's house is the thing these days, before venturing out around 9.30 pm.

I think the bus restrictions due to covid curtailed that a bit, but the early evening wet trade only has almost disappeared, along with all day drinking.

Tiny Rebel offered food but obviously not the choice and range of the market adjacent. In Cardiff it is among a number of real ale offerings, and still part of a type of pub crawl, although since covid and late night transport issues, Saturday afternoons are now more popular in Cardiff for drinking only.

So IMO drinking has changed away from the pub crawl and thus easy money for the licensed trade.

Society has changed over the decades. When I was a youngster nearly every night would be spent in a pub. I was never a heavy drinker, probably 3 or 4 pints week nights and possibly approaching double figures on a Friday or Saturday night. I rarely drank in the afternoons. If you didn't go out then you didn't get to see people. Nowadays there is less need to go out because everyone is on social media. But social cohesion has been destroyed. The best way to get along with people in your community is to meet them in a social setting and talk to them. That has largely been lost because few people go out for a couple of pints anymore.

Of course some of that is also due to the erosion of wages and profiteering in almost every business setting you care to look at. When I was young you could actually run a house on one wage and still go out a few times a week. Nowadays it takes two full time wages and still struggling...