Wales Rugby - state of play...

Is it just a bit 'meh' right now? There certainly doesn't seem to be a buzz about it as in past years maybe because we aren't winning? Had it not been for it being George North's last game it would not have been a sell out v Italy (it may not be in any case).

Feasibly Wales could win on Saturday and still get the 'wooden spoon' - I'll be going and unlike football where I absolutely go to see a County/Wales win with rugby I enjoy it more as a game not in a 'day tripper' way but I can appreciate it as a sporting spectacle - I wont be gutted if we lose to Italy and think its 'good for rugby' (c) to have a competitive Italy team BUT what does all this mean for Welsh rugby? Do we need to accept t that we are not that great and to build back up with the young crop? - as France have demonstrated rugby is a fickle beast and teams can soon dip.

Re: Wales Rugby - state of play...

From yesterday’s performance a LONG road ahead, a few players just completely lost it and bless him Sammy C had an appalling game, I was pleased for the Italians to be honest although far easier to be magnanimous towards them than the English or the snooty public school Irish fans (in all other codes I shout for Ireland) hey ho we have to accept that the diet will be more Greggs than the ivy for a while…

CathedralCounty wrote: March 17th, 2024, 2:02 pm From yesterday’s performance a LONG road ahead, a few players just completely lost it and bless him Sammy C had an appalling game, I was pleased for the Italians to be honest although far easier to be magnanimous towards them than the English or the snooty public school Irish fans (in all other codes I shout for Ireland) hey ho we have to accept that the diet will be more Greggs than the ivy for a while…
I think things will look a little better after the summer tour. Hopefully all squad members will have notes to take away and work on. There should be some injured back and able to play and Joe Schmidt looks to have a similar job to Gatland in trying to resuscitate Australia's fortunes.

South Africa in Twickenham before the tour is not going to be pretty though...

Exile 1976 wrote: March 18th, 2024, 3:58 pm Unfortunately, at the moment, the WRU has made Welsh rugby an absolute shambles.
I think it's easy to give the regions an easier ride. But the truth is that they wasted money on some bang-average players and there were still instances of players coming into a Wales camp (pre-World Cup) having ignored 'advice' given regarding fitness levels. If you're paid to be a professional sportsman they you need to act like one...

But generally the WRU have not managed the game well for a number of years. It just wasn't seen as a big problem while the national side were doing okay...