Re: Wales C ( I refuse to call it Cymru) v England C

neilcork68 wrote: March 20th, 2024, 11:41 am I wonder if G Coughlin was in attendance last night to watch the game to see if there were any potential signings he could make ?

Wales won the game 1 - 0
On your post name 'Wales C ( I refuse to call it Cymru) v England C1' I agree albeit am less militant we are 'Wales' - the 're brand' is crass and an attempt to jump on the fashionista bandwagon of Cool Cymru MKII - 70% of people in Wales cannot speak/read/understand Welsh and that is after 20 years of compulsory Welsh in schools - not a loaded statement just a fact - am fully behind the 30% who do and no doubt we do need to support minority languages but why rename stuff into Welsh when it suited everyone perfectly well for 100+ years? it smacks of bandwagonism rather than authenticity.

On the substance agreed we have/could do worse than scanning the WPL for players ditto the Irish and [lower] Scottish leagues.

Exile 1976 wrote: March 20th, 2024, 3:00 pm For some reason the use of Welsh in Wales really triggers some people. Heaven forbid we have an identity of our own instead of being swallowed into an all encompassing United Kingdom ( obviously by United Kingdom, we all know that means England)

Anyhoo though, back to the game, I thought it was a good little performance from Cymru C šŸ‘
Without getting side-tracked into a wider and more complex debate in this particular case the Welsh FA name change just seems un authentic and gimmicky partly as we managed for 100+ years with the ā€˜oldā€™ name (albeit with a welsh motto) and partly that the constituency is a broadly majority English speaking one and we donā€™t need a re-brand to feel any more 'Welsh' - Itā€™s just rather jarring and a bit like 'siop coffi' popping up in Chepstow (a 95%+ English speaking town).

Being Welsh means many things to many people and isnā€™t just about the language/team supported/political party voted for/location or even heritage of a person itā€™s a feeling sometimes generational via blood or often by adoption or bit of all those things. There are a lot of people who feel very Welsh but not don't have any Welsh blood or having been born here - some of those people have/will/may yet play for Wales.

...or de waffled - We were no less Welsh before the name change - so... C'mon Wales!

CathedralCounty wrote: March 20th, 2024, 4:26 pm
Exile 1976 wrote: March 20th, 2024, 3:00 pm For some reason the use of Welsh in Wales really triggers some people. Heaven forbid we have an identity of our own instead of being swallowed into an all encompassing United Kingdom ( obviously by United Kingdom, we all know that means England)

Anyhoo though, back to the game, I thought it was a good little performance from Cymru C šŸ‘
Without getting side-tracked into a wider and more complex debate in this particular case the Welsh FA name change just seems un authentic and gimmicky partly as we managed for 100+ years with the ā€˜oldā€™ name (albeit with a welsh motto) and partly that the constituency is a broadly majority English speaking one and we donā€™t need a re-brand to feel any more 'Welsh' - Itā€™s just rather jarring and a bit like 'siop coffi' popping up in Chepstow (a 95%+ English speaking town).

Being Welsh means many things to many people and isnā€™t just about the language/team supported/political party voted for/location or even heritage of a person itā€™s a feeling sometimes generational via blood or often by adoption or bit of all those things. There are a lot of people who feel very Welsh but not don't have any Welsh blood or having been born here - some of those people have/will/may yet play for Wales.

...or de waffled - We were no less Welsh before the name change - so... C'mon Wales!
Cymraeg is an equal language to English in Wales. Calling the national side Cymru instead of Wales is merely reverting to what the side would have been called if football had been invented circa 15th century. Cymraeg is the original language of Wales, English a later interloper. I don't speak Cymraeg myself but think calling the national side Cymru strengthens the national identity. But others are allowed to disagree...

wattsville_boy wrote: March 20th, 2024, 4:49 pm

Cymraeg is an equal language to English in Wales. Calling the national side Cymru instead of Wales is merely reverting to what the side would have been called if football had been invented circa 15th century. Cymraeg is the original language of Wales, English a later interloper. I don't speak Cymraeg myself but think calling the national side Cymru strengthens the national identity. But others are allowed to disagree...

I agree mate. Always frustrates me when people say ā€œ70% of people donā€™t speak itā€ , conveniently omitting the fact that many generations of Welsh kids (myself included) were not taught Welsh.
Iā€™m very happy that four of my children can speak Welsh. Itā€™s very important that we do not let our language die.

Exile 1976 wrote: March 20th, 2024, 4:54 pm

I agree mate. Always frustrates me when people say ā€œ70% of people donā€™t speak itā€ , conveniently omitting the fact that many generations of Welsh kids (myself included) were not taught Welsh.
Iā€™m very happy that four of my children can speak Welsh. Itā€™s very important that we do not let our language die.
Surely it's the same argument as whether TĆ¼rkiye can use that name internationally or has to go by the English Turkey...?

Slight tangent, but I found out the other day that Cornwall was known as West Wales.

Newport was at this time in North Wales...........

Copied from Wikipedia:

In pre-Roman times, Cornwall was part of the kingdom of Dumnonia. Later, it was known to the Anglo-Saxons as West Wales, to distinguish it from North Wales, that is, modern-day Wales.[3] The name Cornwall is a combination of two elements. The second derives from the Anglo-Saxon word wealh, meaning "Celt", "Roman", "Briton", which also survives in the words Wales and Welsh.[4] The first element "Corn", indicating the shape of the peninsula, is descended from Celtic kernou, an Indo-European word related to English horn and Latin cornu.[5]

So be thankful that the minority language you love and want to protect (rightfully in my view) is heavily subsidised by those of us who have little need for it and is supported by robust legislation-many other indigenous/minority languages have died out having no such protection.

*you are right to an extent to point out that only one or 2 generations of Welsh residents have had compulsory Welsh at school but with the expected level of inward migration, the sad but inexorable hollowing out of many Welsh speaking coastal/rural communities and the ever reaching tentacles of Anglo hegemony (worldwide) I can see the 30% figure getting smaller, I donā€™t wish for that but itā€™s a worldwide trend albeit as above the Welsh language is propped up by great largesse and patronage so perhaps it is safer than most [minority languages]? time will tell.

ā€œEqualā€ only under law as most of donā€™t speak/read/understand it, Iā€™m not arguing against the former but neither can anyone dispute the latter.

CathedralCounty wrote: March 20th, 2024, 7:09 pm

So be thankful that the minority language you love and want to protect (rightfully in my view) is heavily subsidised by those of us who have little need for it and is supported by robust legislation-many other indigenous/minority languages have died out having no such protection.

*you are right to an extent to point out that only one or 2 generations of Welsh residents have had compulsory Welsh at school but with the expected level of inward migration, the sad but inexorable hollowing out of many Welsh speaking coastal/rural communities and the ever reaching tentacles of Anglo hegemony (worldwide) I can see the 30% figure getting smaller, I donā€™t wish for that but itā€™s a worldwide trend albeit as above the Welsh language is propped up by great largesse and patronage so perhaps it is safer than most [minority languages]? time will tell.

No, not thankful, as it should be a ā€˜gimmeā€™ that Welsh is ā€˜heavily subsidised by people who have little or no interest in itā€™ .. There are many things my taxes go towards that I have zero interest in, but hey ho, thatā€™s life.
The teaching of Welsh in Wales SHOULD be a given right, regardlessā€¦.. that there are so many Welsh people that couldnā€™t give a shite about it , is, to me anyway, extremely disappointing.

Exile 1976 wrote: March 20th, 2024, 7:39 pm
CathedralCounty wrote: March 20th, 2024, 7:09 pm

No, not thankful, as it should be a ā€˜gimmeā€™ that Welsh is ā€˜heavily subsidised by people who have little or no interest in itā€™ .. There are many things my taxes go towards that I have zero interest in, but hey ho, thatā€™s life.
The teaching of Welsh in Wales SHOULD be a given right, regardlessā€¦.. that there are so many Welsh people that couldnā€™t give a shite about it , is, to me anyway, extremely disappointing.
I donā€™t think itā€™s quite that blunt just that people in many parts of Wales simply have no use for Welsh (as well as that most new immigrants have neither English nor Welsh as their first language) while at the same time I donā€™t believe there is any serious opposition to the propping up of the Welsh language by taxpayer's those two things can be true at the same time it is for me anyway.