Re: Wales v Poland

wattsville_boy wrote: March 26th, 2024, 2:07 pm Thoughts before the game? Same again or changes to personnel?
I think it depends on the ref. If we have one who isn't a n0nce, then Moore should start for me. We look a much better side with him in it.

I think I'd be tempted to squeeze James in too. I know he has his faults, but he always puts a shift in for us and looks dangerous in the red shirt.

Looking forward to getting down there, if only work would hurry up and finish.

I think we'll do it, but it will be a close one.

rncfc wrote: March 26th, 2024, 2:36 pm
wattsville_boy wrote: March 26th, 2024, 2:07 pm Thoughts before the game? Same again or changes to personnel?
I think it depends on the ref. If we have one who isn't a n0nce, then Moore should start for me. We look a much better side with him in it.

I think I'd be tempted to squeeze James in too. I know he has his faults, but he always puts a shift in for us and looks dangerous in the red shirt.

Looking forward to getting down there, if only work would hurry up and finish.

I think we'll do it, but it will be a close one.
seconded - I think we'll do it, but it will be a close one 2:1 to Wales (can't see Poland not scoring).

I think that the result proves once again that you can never rely on the lottery of the play-offs. You have to do it in the group stage matches. Wales did well to resurrect themselves into the play-offs but that was only because of 2 or 3 astonishingly poor performances in the group stage.

Chris Davis wrote: March 27th, 2024, 8:44 am I think that the result proves once again that you can never rely on the lottery of the play-offs. You have to do it in the group stage matches. Wales did well to resurrect themselves into the play-offs but that was only because of 2 or 3 astonishingly poor performances in the group stage.
Totally agree - Wales had enough [potentially] to qualify as of right and enough to beat Poland last night in fact, we just didn't do it at crucial times.

Cyrmru had more than enough to beat Polski last night. We just didn't take our chances when they came and ultimately got punished for profligacy in front of goal.

The atmosphere inside the ground was as good as anything I can remember in 50 years of watching football.

Incredible, spine-tingling renditions of Canon Lan, Yma O Hyd and Mae Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau throughout the match. Not much of a voice today as a result.

Awn eto am Gwpan y Byd!

Jonesy3 wrote: March 27th, 2024, 3:16 pm Cyrmru had more than enough to beat Polski last night. We just didn't take our chances when they came and ultimately got punished for profligacy in front of goal.

The atmosphere inside the ground was as good as anything I can remember in 50 years of watching football.

Incredible, spine-tingling renditions of Canon Lan, Yma O Hyd and Mae Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau throughout the match. Not much of a voice today as a result.

Awn eto am Gwpan y Byd!
Yn union

DT1892 wrote: March 27th, 2024, 3:53 pm Time for Page to go. Osian in for me.
Rob Page is building something - we're a small football nation with a small player pool (many of whom are exiled/diaspora) with a poor domestic league and a not too brilliant co efficient, yes we failed to grasp the nettle last night but it happens - far better teams fail to qualify for tournaments (Germany & Holland in recent years for example).

I don't feel Page should go but it he did feel Osian Roberts would be a very regressive appointment - could think of any number of better suited/younger/inspiring managers to go for and I don't even feel we need a Welsh manager although it helps.

CathedralCounty wrote: March 27th, 2024, 4:05 pm
Rob Page is building something - we're a small football nation with a small player pool (many of whom are exiled/diaspora) with a poor domestic league and a not too brilliant co efficient, yes we failed to grasp the nettle last night but it happens - far better teams fail to qualify for tournaments (Germany & Holland in recent years for example).

I don't feel Page should go but it he did feel Osian Roberts would be a very regressive appointment - could think of any number of better suited/younger/inspiring managers to go for and I don't even feel we need a Welsh manager although it helps.
Genuinely what is he building? Giggs got us to the Euros in 2020, where Page got us out of the group before being tactically outclassed by Denmark. In fairness, he got us to Qatar, but the less said about the performance out there the better, and now we've missed out on Euro 2024. We've won 5 games in the last 20 and missing out has potentially cost the FAW around £7 million. There are 24 spots up for grabs for the Euros, if we aren't in the top 24 nations then we're really struggling. There's only 16 for the World Cup! We should show some actual ambition and expect to qualify for each European Championship.

I'm not buying the 'small' nation excuse. So is Croatia and they've only missed 2 tournaments since their first campaign in 1996. We've got a team packed full of players playing in the Premier League & the Championship. I'd argue that most of the clubs in the Championship are better than most of the top-tier leagues around Europe. Most of them have been developed at some of the richest clubs, in the best domestic league system in the world, with some of the best coaches and facilities. They should be good enough to take more than 1 point from Armenia - as ultimately, that's what has cost us. In my opinion, he should've gone after the 4-2 defeat.

DT1892 wrote: March 27th, 2024, 11:09 pm
CathedralCounty wrote: March 27th, 2024, 4:05 pm

Genuinely what is he building? Giggs got us to the Euros in 2020, where Page got us out of the group before being tactically outclassed by Denmark. In fairness, he got us to Qatar, but the less said about the performance out there the better, and now we've missed out on Euro 2024. We've won 5 games in the last 20 and missing out has potentially cost the FAW around £7 million. There are 24 spots up for grabs for the Euros, if we aren't in the top 24 nations then we're really struggling. There's only 16 for the World Cup! We should show some actual ambition and expect to qualify for each European Championship.

I'm not buying the 'small' nation excuse. So is Croatia and they've only missed 2 tournaments since their first campaign in 1996. We've got a team packed full of players playing in the Premier League & the Championship. I'd argue that most of the clubs in the Championship are better than most of the top-tier leagues around Europe. Most of them have been developed at some of the richest clubs, in the best domestic league system in the world, with some of the best coaches and facilities. They should be good enough to take more than 1 point from Armenia - as ultimately, that's what has cost us. In my opinion, he should've gone after the 4-2 defeat.
I think the major problem is that Cymru do not have a consistent goalscorer. Sure Keiffer Moore scored 20 goals for Cardiff one season, but most seasons does he get into double figures? The other attacking players are essentially wingers or midfielders pushed forward. And they do okay, but they lack the ruthlessness that a proper striker has. Jason Koumas looks promising but he's just broken into the U21's and is 18 so possibly is still growing into his body. Other 'strikers' at U21 level seem to be similar to what we already have, so unless someone kicks on it's going to be a problem for a number of years...