Re: Squad 24/25

Stan A. Einstein wrote: April 7th, 2024, 6:59 pm Regardless of interest in this season being about play-offs as opposed to relegation the truth is our present squad is destined to finish lower mid table.
If Huw Jenkins is serious about making money out of Newport County and I believe he is, that can only be done with essentially a big clear out of the present playing staff. I think the likelihood is that there will be six or seven new faces in the team that kicks off next season.
Morning Brendan. I do agree that Huw Jenkins seems to be an astute businessman. However, I don’t think his main priority is making money out of Newport County. That will be in his plans but I suspect it is a lower priority than some think. I think the driving factor behind his presence here is to show people that he did it once and he can do it again. Kudos if you like. I think he has a short term, medium term and long term plan.

I think his overwhelming concern is club finance, no surprise there. I agree that we will probably need to see new faces at the club if we are doing to progress. However, it would be financially foolish to progress too far in that respect until GC (staying or not) is sorted. The Manager at the start of the season will want his own players. I hope he stays, he deserves it, but HJ is his own man. The month or so after the season finish will be quite eventful. I just hope that this time next season we are in a more advantageous position both financially and football wise.

I believe these are under contract at start of 2024/5 season

Townsend
McLoughlin
Jameson
Delaney
Seberry
Clarke
Morris
Evans (1 year extension?)
Jephcott
Wood

So obviously we will keep them.
All loan players not interested.
Always injured not interested Zanzala, Wildig & Drysdale.
Offer new contracts Bogle, Needham (G), Delaney, Rai & Charsley, lose the rest.
Youngsters (apprentices?) Sanca (D), Norris, Evans, Young (all M) Keep as that's the future policy under HJ.

We had 25 full time pros in 2023/4 so we need another 12 players. 5 loanees & 7 permanent. If we replace by position we need one goalkeeper, 4 wing backs, 2 centre backs, 3 midfield & 2 strikers.

The trick is signing decent players who are not injury prone.

Bonson&Hunt wrote: April 8th, 2024, 10:24 am I believe these are under contract at start of 2024/5 season

Townsend
McLoughlin
Jameson
Delaney
Seberry
Clarke
Morris
Jephcott
Wood

Youngsters (apprentices?) Sanca (D), Norris, Evans, Young (all M) Keep as that's the future policy under HJ.

We had 25 full time pros in 2023/4 so we need another 12 players. 5 loanees & 7 permanent. If we replace by position we need one goalkeeper, 4 wing backs, 2 centre backs, 3 midfield & 2 strikers.

Great post. Agree with all of that. It'll be tough to see injury prone pros leave the club because they've all been incredibly professional in my opinion but it's a tough business....

Bonson&Hunt wrote: April 8th, 2024, 10:24 am I believe these are under contract at start of 2024/5 season

Townsend
McLoughlin
Jameson
Delaney
Seberry
Clarke
Morris
Jephcott
Wood

Good summary, though don't believe Delany is under contract for next season, and am doubtful he would accept a new offer.
What cannot be ignored, is the belief that the club can afford/ attract 12 new signings within our budget, which will almost certainly be one of the lowest in League 2 again. Think therefore the budget restrictions, will compel the risk of offering new contracts to at least some of the 'injury prone' as the cheaper option.

Not a fan of GC never have been, I prefer managers who act responsibily not mouth off to the press. Since HJ has arrived GC has been less vocal but it seems to be his nature. Fed up of hearing excuses of low budget, it happens in all walks of life and we have to adapt. The midfield has been left short of depth, to many forwards, defence is just emergency ward 10. GC is the manager it's responsibilty, he could have tried youngsters instead of the forlon hope of the play offs, but that wouldn't suit his CV. I would like to see a manager who looks long term at building a squad to gain a promotion and stay there. In the next few weeks a good number of young players will be released by clubs, many who will be good enough to develop, league two journeymen are just looking for a wage. We need a new manager one that will develop the club

OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote: April 8th, 2024, 12:08 pm

Townsend
McLoughlin
Jameson
Delaney
Seberry
Clarke
Morris
Jephcott
Wood

Good summary, though don't believe Delany is under contract for next season, and am doubtful he would accept a new offer.
What cannot be ignored, is the belief that the club can afford/ attract 12 new signings within our budget, which will almost certainly be one of the lowest in League 2 again. Think therefore the budget restrictions, will compel the risk of offering new contracts to at least some of the 'injury prone' as the cheaper option.
Even if more money was available there is such a gap in budgets between us and the top 15 budgets, that IMO it would be unlikely to significantly change things.

All clubs take risks on players, County have had injuries to young loan players with no previous history, so nothing is guaranteed.

I accept that those players with a history will have less options, and thus may come up as an option for us for that reason.

ajs wrote: April 8th, 2024, 12:12 pm Not a fan of GC never have been, I prefer managers who act responsibily not mouth off to the press. Since HJ has arrived GC has been less vocal but it seems to be his nature. Fed up of hearing excuses of low budget, it happens in all walks of life and we have to adapt. The midfield has been left short of depth, to many forwards, defence is just emergency ward 10. GC is the manager it's responsibilty, he could have tried youngsters instead of the forlon hope of the play offs, but that wouldn't suit his CV. I would like to see a manager who looks long term at building a squad to gain a promotion and stay there. In the next few weeks a good number of young players will be released by clubs, many who will be good enough to develop, league two journeymen are just looking for a wage. We need a new manager one that will develop the club
It strikes me that ever since Rowberry got sacked that you have had the knife out for GC, now I agree that sometimes he can overstep the mark by publicly criticising players, but on that score he still has lot to learn from Flynn, who was frankly disgraceful in the way he hung players out to dry.
Going back to what I think was your preferred option of retaining Rowberry, do you honestly think that under his continued stewardship we would not now be in FGR’s position or worse, because I do?

Bangitintrnet wrote: April 8th, 2024, 12:16 pm

Townsend
McLoughlin
Jameson
Delaney
Seberry
Clarke
Morris
Jephcott
Wood

Even if more money was available there is such a gap in budgets between us and the top 15 budgets, that IMO it would be unlikely to significantly change things.

All clubs take risks on players, County have had injuries to young loan players with no previous history, so nothing is guaranteed.

I accept that those players with a history will have less options, and thus may come up as an option for us for that reason.
However, didn't Morecambe get promoted with a budget about 75% of ours at the time, let alone matching the top clubs? Maybe it is more about how you use the budget you have

Amberexile wrote: April 8th, 2024, 1:18 pm

Townsend
McLoughlin
Jameson
Delaney
Seberry
Clarke
Morris
Jephcott
Wood

However, didn't Morecambe get promoted with a budget about 75% of ours at the time, let alone matching the top clubs? Maybe it is more about how you use the budget you have
During covid, when the top clubs probably struggled due to no income from ticket sales and outside income more than most. Those that didn't rely so much on those things found life easier rather than harder.

Agree it's how the budget is used, but obviously those with more, will have more choice, and more chances to get it wrong, as well as right.

Taking over from Alex Furgusson - who knew precisely when to replace his squads - and being given a similar budget, has resulted in very different conclusions since.

ajs wrote: April 8th, 2024, 12:12 pm Not a fan of GC never have been, I prefer managers who act responsibily not mouth off to the press. Since HJ has arrived GC has been less vocal but it seems to be his nature. Fed up of hearing excuses of low budget, it happens in all walks of life and we have to adapt. The midfield has been left short of depth, to many forwards, defence is just emergency ward 10. GC is the manager it's responsibilty, he could have tried youngsters instead of the forlon hope of the play offs, but that wouldn't suit his CV. I would like to see a manager who looks long term at building a squad to gain a promotion and stay there. In the next few weeks a good number of young players will be released by clubs, many who will be good enough to develop, league two journeymen are just looking for a wage. We need a new manager one that will develop the club
"many who will be good enough to develop" if it was that easy every club would do it. The fact is owing the largeness of academies there are huge numbers of young players who will not make it. Look at the disaster that is our academy, I think the former stars warm the bench at Merthyr now.

Within our budget we will always need to take chances on injury prone players and journeymen - look at Morris all Grimsby fans will be surprised at his performances for us this season. The managers job is to sign players he can get a tune out of and GC has done a pretty good job of that. The one area they need to look at is training / recovery regime we have too many injuries but this in part will be due to a small squad and the number of minutes the decent players have to play.
Going back to youngsters no doubt Lewis, Baker, Bondswell and Payne were seen to have potential but I would be surprised to see any be anything more than a journeyman - SPH may play at Championship level. Same last year the Bournemouth lad has gone off to Scotland so yest really easy to spot these youngsters!

Bangitintrnet wrote: April 8th, 2024, 1:28 pm
Amberexile wrote: April 8th, 2024, 1:18 pm

Townsend
McLoughlin
Jameson
Delaney
Seberry
Clarke
Morris
Jephcott
Wood

During covid, when the top clubs probably struggled due to no income from ticket sales and outside income more than most. Those that didn't rely so much on those things found life easier rather than harder.

Agree it's how the budget is used, but obviously those with more, will have more choice, and more chances to get it wrong, as well as right.

Taking over from Alex Furgusson - who knew precisely when to replace his squads - and being given a similar budget, has resulted in very different conclusions since.
I think the clubs with the highest player budget rely less on gate money and more on so called investment. Take FGR as an example. Morecambe still had the lowest player budget in the League that season. As a general rule, the more money you have the better your chances of being successful but teams do buck that trend in both directions, FGR this season at the bottom and Morecambe in 20/21. The trick is working out how to do a Morecambe because I don't see HJ funding us like an FGR.

pembsexile wrote: April 8th, 2024, 10:16 am

Morning Brendan. I do agree that Huw Jenkins seems to be an astute businessman. However, I don’t think his main priority is making money out of Newport County. That will be in his plans but I suspect it is a lower priority than some think. I think the driving factor behind his presence here is to show people that he did it once and he can do it again. Kudos if you like. I think he has a short term, medium term and long term plan.

I think his overwhelming concern is club finance, no surprise there. I agree that we will probably need to see new faces at the club if we are doing to progress. However, it would be financially foolish to progress too far in that respect until GC (staying or not) is sorted. The Manager at the start of the season will want his own players. I hope he stays, he deserves it, but HJ is his own man. The month or so after the season finish will be quite eventful. I just hope that this time next season we are in a more advantageous position both financially and football wise.
Afternoon Mike, hope all's good with you.

For me there are two ways a club like Newport County can be financed. Either being non profit and owned by supporters or being owned by business people who seek to make a profit. As I have often said I would much prefer the former but that ship left a long time ago.

When football clubs are owned by private business there are two ways these people can make a profit. The first is to screw every last penny they can. Forget about investing for the long term, cashing in and then buggering off leaving the supporters to pick up the pieces. I don't think that Huw Jenkins falls into that category.

The second way to make money is to build a successful club, offer value for money, and take normal profits. That takes time and effort and can work out well for all involved. The economics of this are most clearly seen in supermarkets. For years Tescos and Sainsburys et al screwed their customers. Then Aldi and Lidl came along.

Now it seems to me that Huw Jenkins wants to build a club and make money by taking a reasonable share of the profits that will be made if County are successful. I hope it works. The early indications are encouraging.

I think we agree on that. Where I disagree with your analysis, and I say this as no criticism of Huw Jenkins, is that his priority is making a profit not a love of our club.

Stan A. Einstein wrote: April 8th, 2024, 3:13 pm
pembsexile wrote: April 8th, 2024, 10:16 am

Afternoon Mike, hope all's good with you.

For me there are two ways a club like Newport County can be financed. Either being non profit and owned by supporters or being owned by business people who seek to make a profit. As I have often said I would much prefer the former but that ship left a long time ago.

When football clubs are owned by private business there are two ways these people can make a profit. The first is to screw every last penny they can. Forget about investing for the long term, cashing in and then buggering off leaving the supporters to pick up the pieces. I don't think that Huw Jenkins falls into that category.

The second way to make money is to build a successful club, offer value for money, and take normal profits. That takes time and effort and can work out well for all involved. The economics of this are most clearly seen in supermarkets. For years Tescos and Sainsburys et al screwed their customers. Then Aldi and Lidl came along.

Now it seems to me that Huw Jenkins wants to build a club and make money by taking a reasonable share of the profits that will be made if County are successful. I hope it works. The early indications are encouraging.

I think we agree on that. Where I disagree with your analysis, and I say this as no criticism of Huw Jenkins, is that his priority is making a profit not a love of our club.
From HJ new onership and business model

The Future

33. To make the club successful, sustainable and profitable over the medium-term

34. To build a close partnership with the Dragons for the use and development of Rodney Parade as our current and future home

35. The club will be in a position where it could be passed back to the Trust as a viable and attractive proposition at some point in the future

I wasn't a fan of Coughlan last season. The football was terrible and the only direction I saw in the club was downwards. My opinion changed this season when he could bring in some of his own players and develop a different footballing philosophy. Generally it's been an okay season that has only really turned to sh1t in the past fortnight or so. He has a tendency to express how he feels at that time and so has made a few ill-advised comments along the way, but also showed humour when the injury list was at it's worst. My concerns about Coughlan is that I suspect he's still working the players too hard in training, and that perhaps he could have looked at some youngsters along the way to lighten the load. The season with cup games will be 57 games and there are a few that will be close to being 'ever-presents'. I think that's too big a workload.

County still are conceding too many, but that has been saved for much of the season by appearing to score more than in an 'usual' season. My views on where the problems lie in the defence have been expressed countless times and I hope they will be addressed in the close season whomever is Manager next year. Offensively the team need to create more from midfield, and my preference would be to employ wingers (if such things exist anymore) to stress opposition defences with running at them or putting decent crosses in. If Evans doesn't stay then either Jephcott needs to find his mojo again or county need to find that elusive 20 goals a season striker that every club is seeking.

I think Coughlan has earned the right to sculpt a squad for next season but I can understand Jenkins pulling the trigger if results (and performances) don't improve in the remaining games. I think his better signings have outweighed the poorer ones and it gives me sufficient confidence that County will be better again next season...