Re: Squad 24/25

lowandhard wrote: April 7th, 2024, 4:54 pm
Exile 1976 wrote: April 6th, 2024, 6:18 pm Jephcott was completely anonymous. Rai, whilst not being anywhere near the finished article, would have put in more of a shift that he did. Jephcott has been a big ol’ waste of money.
It appears the same to me. How can you be on a pitch for so long with so little involvement?
As regards the squad, I happen to think that Coughlan has done miracles with a poor team and it needs a bigger re-build than is immediately apparent. I think repeating this season’s relative success will be impossible with this group. No strength in depth and too many average or “ made of glass “ personnel. Also a total lack of creativity imo. Sadly, that means a bigger clearout than what is normally regarded as healthy.
That probably means an interesting summer but as the Chinese say, “ pity the child born in interesting times! “
Of course only time will tell about the size of re-build before next season, and don't disagree with your comments, but simply cannot forsee sufficient money being made available for a large re-build. Anyone who thinks HJ will be digging deep into his personal pocket, will I believe, be sadly disillusioned. For a start he doesn't possess deep pockets. Remember his success at Swansea started with financial backing from a consortium, not just himself; plus considerable backing from the local council. As far as I'm aware, there's no prospect of that in the short term. Maybe some, but certainly not all, of this years cup monies may be added to the budget for next season.
For those reasons I'm not expecting what I would count as a major rebuild. Foresee the biggest changes coming from 5 different loanees, rather than players contracted to Newport County.

OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote: April 7th, 2024, 5:10 pm
Exile 1976 wrote: April 6th, 2024, 6:18 pm Jephcott was completely anonymous. Rai, whilst not being anywhere near the finished article, would have put in more of a shift that he did. Jephcott has been a big ol’ waste of money.
It appears the same to me. How can you be on a pitch for so long with so little involvement?
As regards the squad, I happen to think that Coughlan has done miracles with a poor team and it needs a bigger re-build than is immediately apparent. I think repeating this season’s relative success will be impossible with this group. No strength in depth and too many average or “ made of glass “ personnel. Also a total lack of creativity imo. Sadly, that means a bigger clearout than what is normally regarded as healthy.
That probably means an interesting summer but as the Chinese say, “ pity the child born in interesting times! “
Of course only time will tell about the size of re-build before next season, and don't disagree with your comments, but simply cannot forsee sufficient money being made available for a large re-build. Anyone who thinks HJ will be digging deep into his personal pocket, will I believe, be sadly disillusioned. For a start he doesn't possess deep pockets. Remember his success at Swansea started with financial backing from a consortium, not just himself; plus considerable backing from the local council. As far as I'm aware, there's no prospect of that in the short term. Maybe some, but certainly not all, of this years cup monies may be added to the budget for next season.
For those reasons I'm not expecting what I would count as a major rebuild. Foresee the biggest changes coming from 5 different loanees, rather than players contracted to Newport County.
If you watch one of GC’s most recent interviews, his response to Rob Phillip's question about an improved playing budget for next season was less than convincing. In fact he seemed deflated and still does.

Taunton Iron Cider wrote: April 7th, 2024, 5:21 pm
If you watch one of GC’s most recent interviews, his response to Rob Phillip's question about an improved playing budget for next season was less than convincing. In fact he seemed deflated and still does.
Didn't catch that, but I'm not surprised. He's previously said his success at Swansea was achieved with one of the lower budgets in their respective leagues. Despite GC hinting that some players recent performances will been they have spoilt their chances of a new offer, think his previous statements about not many changes to the current squad is the more likely. Not withstanding the possibility of players turning down a new offer, of course.

Regardless of interest in this season being about play-offs as opposed to relegation the truth is our present squad is destined to finish lower mid table.
If Huw Jenkins is serious about making money out of Newport County and I believe he is, that can only be done with essentially a big clear out of the present playing staff. I think the likelihood is that there will be six or seven new faces in the team that kicks off next season.

Hazel wrote: April 7th, 2024, 7:39 pm Yes agree with that statement. At least 7 if you include 5 new loanees so maybe more than 7 in total.
Don't disagree either. I guess it comes down to numbers and what number you describe as a major re-build.
Perhaps another point to remember is it took 3 years for HJ to oversee Swansea's first promotion, and that with the financial aid of a consortium of at least 3 others. Don't think HJ sees 'making money out of Newport County' as anything less than a 5 year project.

Hazel wrote: April 7th, 2024, 5:01 pm Sadly Rob Sants players fund was given to the club to buy Jephcott. Appreciate hindsight but what a waste of £20K plus.
Think you may have missed this on the club news page......

The 23-year-old Welshman joins the Exiles from the Scottish side on a free transfer......

excessbee wrote: April 7th, 2024, 11:34 pm
Hazel wrote: April 7th, 2024, 5:01 pm Sadly Rob Sants players fund was given to the club to buy Jephcott. Appreciate hindsight but what a waste of £20K plus.

The 23-year-old Welshman joins the Exiles from the Scottish side on a free transfer......
When was the last time we actually paid a transfer fee? I don't but perhaps the £20,000 simply paid the wages.

It might have had to be used for 'relocation costs', agent's fees etc.

Chris Davis wrote: April 8th, 2024, 8:31 am

It might have had to be used for 'relocation costs', agent's fees etc.
Cue the comments about a collection to send him back :lol:

I think people are being too hasty on Jephcott. I want to see what he's like with a preseason under his belt. 4 shots and 2 on target from the entire team means we're not creating anything. Peak Aguero wouldn't have been able to do anything in that team either.

I think we will have a major rebuild in the summer. I agree we're not going to spend money on transfer fees but you don't need to do that at our level. 5 new loanees, keep the players we want to keep and be (relatively) competitive with wages for free agents and I think we can build something useful that doesn't rely on injury prone punts.

Chepstow'sFine wrote: April 8th, 2024, 9:16 am I think people are being too hasty on Jephcott. I want to see what he's like with a preseason under his belt. 4 shots and 2 on target from the entire team means we're not creating anything. Peak Aguero wouldn't have been able to do anything in that team either.
I take your point to a certain degree.
However, I don't buy into the preseason under his belt theory: for 2 reasons:
(1) Although he didn't get much game time at St Johnstone we was still training with them.
(2) He has been with us for nearly 3 months.
So in my opinion he should be fit.

From the sentiments on here (a small but dare I say knowledgeable sample) people seem to have abandoned the idea that Rai could 'make it' which seems unfair - the kid is 18 - yes he's a 'unit' and seems older but give him a chance - ditto with Waite for different reasons, although he is still only 24, the guy is an angry terrier who would die for the shirt - a great squad player who, if he is happy in that utility role, is an asset to the club.

I know time is money in this business but for the [relatively] small amounts for this bracket of players we might want to exercise some patience, we need 'steady eddy' players such as Waite for example sometimes, and again I mean this as not disrespect to any player, we just need a body and a willing Waite or a hungry Rai are the sort of players I'd rather have than some 'rick who thinks they are the dog wot-sits (we do need those type of players too of course).