Flynn to return?!

Have it on bad authority that Mike Flynn may be returning to manage Newport county...mmmm

2 play off finals (yes losses) perhaps he has the alchemy we need? (we certainly don't have the money).

[edit] not a p take someone did mention to me that someone had said 'Flynnys coming back' - likely a silly rumor of course.

Re: Flynn to return?!

Whilst I believe GC should be given a chance with a stronger squad next season, after doing so well until recently with an understrength squad, I don't get why so many supporters are so negative towards Mike Flynn. He saved our league status when all looked lost. He took us to 2 Wembley play-offs. His team became only the 3rd County side to beat a top tier team. His team also drew with Spurs, earning a replay at Wembley. What great memories he gave us.

Blackandamber wrote: April 15th, 2024, 7:13 pm Whilst I believe GC should be given a chance with a stronger squad next season, after doing so well until recently with an understrength squad, I don't get why so many supporters are so negative towards Mike Flynn. He saved our league status when all looked lost. He took us to 2 Wembley play-offs. His team became only the 3rd County side to beat a top tier team. His team also drew with Spurs, earning a replay at Wembley. What great memories he gave us.
Oh yes, he also played in our play-off win against Wrexham to get us back to the Football League. The only time we've won at Wembley.

Blackandamber wrote: April 15th, 2024, 7:13 pm Whilst I believe GC should be given a chance with a stronger squad next season, after doing so well until recently with an understrength squad, I don't get why so many supporters are so negative towards Mike Flynn. He saved our league status when all looked lost. He took us to 2 Wembley play-offs. His team became only the 3rd County side to beat a top tier team. His team also drew with Spurs, earning a replay at Wembley. What great memories he gave us.
Because he over spent that's why

countymadbel wrote: April 15th, 2024, 8:13 pm
And he has been an abject failure at every other Club he has been to since walking out on Newport. Not to mention his dubious link with Elite.

But not by as much as the club has since, if you believe our filed accounts.

OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote: April 16th, 2024, 7:33 am
In Flynn's first full season as manager (17/18) the club spent £2.7million in total, this figure rose steadily while he was at the club and in his last full season (20/21) it had reached £4million when we played the season behind closed doors due to Covid. Total expenditure increased again in 21/22 to £4.5 million a season we played mainly with the squad Flynn had assembled in the Summer of 2021 (It is those accounts for 2021 that also show a £1.2million loss), before the Board managed to cut expenditure by a little under 3% in the 22/23 season coming in at £4.4 million when our break even budget resulted in a loss of £913k.

Amberexile wrote: April 16th, 2024, 10:55 am
In Flynn's first full season as manager (17/18) the club spent £2.7million in total, this figure rose steadily while he was at the club and in his last full season (20/21) it had reached £4million when we played the season behind closed doors due to Covid. Total expenditure increased again in 21/22 to £4.5 million a season we played mainly with the squad Flynn had assembled in the Summer of 2021 (It is those accounts for 2021 that also show a £1.2million loss), before the Board managed to cut expenditure by a little under 3% in the 22/23 season coming in at £4.4 million when our break even budget resulted in a loss of £913k.

Which assumes all the spending didn't relate to covid etc etc.

On another thread we have the other teams accounts to compare, and of course Flynn wasn't managing ALL of them at the time.

That's not to say that Flynn wasn't a big spender, just that other things have to be ballanced against it.

Oh gawd what have I started?!

My feeling, although not my wish as such, is that GC will go at the end of this season but likely it won't be Flynn replacing him. I know we've tried it before now but I feel a young up and coming manager or a not so young but nor big name (like the guy who was at MK now Bristol City - not him but of his type for example) - we need to build here.

Amberexile wrote: April 16th, 2024, 10:55 am
Thanks for those facts