Re: Full capasity grounds from july 19th

I live not far from the site of the August bank holiday Reading festival which is scheduled to be held as usual and is a sellout with last year's tickets still valid. The town is always rammed.

Attendance is just over 100,000 per day, huge numbers camp and it's a youngish audience - much younger than Glastonbury - so many attending will be too young to have had even one vaccination. The same acts play Leeds the same weekend with a slightly smaller crowd.

It looks like a recipe for disaster. These kids will likely seed a big outbreak locally and disperse all over the country and among things attend unrestricted football matches. The promoter was on the radio this morning and couldn't see what the fuss was about, because obviously he's going to make pots of money from taking a punt on it going ahead or at least recoup losses. :evil:

I have a suspicion that the first of the soon to be lifted restrictions to be revoked will be the one about full capacity crowds in stadiums. The publicity stunt of the Euro final at Wembley will have been and gone and the assumption will be made, maybe correctly, that after a season behind closed doors, fans will be grateful for 50% capacity allowance.

No point in second guessing what may happen - multiple scenarios could form, I can say what I have seen recently with regards to football fans.

Spent the weekend in London, used public transport, went in pubs and obeyed all the current rules on social distancing, hand washing, masks etc. Can’t say the same for all others though. I think there has been a mental relaxation of the rules prior to Boris statement yesterday already.

We watched the Ukraine game in a pub in Peckham. Went in there with our masks on. Not one other person in the pub was wearing a mask, not even on entry/exit. People were stood up going to the bar, toilet etc without a mask. The owners didn’t seem to give two hoots, they were all wrapped up in the game.

I sincerely hope that when fans attend stadiums at full capacity (if that happens), then they will still have a sense of social responsibility to others, distance, handwash, mask etc. We are not out of it yet. Vaccine or no vaccine.

pembsexile wrote:No point in second guessing what may happen - multiple scenarios could form, I can say what I have seen recently with regards to football fans.

Spent the weekend in London, used public transport, went in pubs and obeyed all the current rules on social distancing, hand washing, masks etc. Can’t say the same for all others though. I think there has been a mental relaxation of the rules prior to Boris statement yesterday already.

We watched the Ukraine game in a pub in Peckham. Went in there with our masks on. Not one other person in the pub was wearing a mask, not even on entry/exit. People were stood up going to the bar, toilet etc without a mask. The owners didn’t seem to give two hoots, they were all wrapped up in the game.

I sincerely hope that when fans attend stadiums at full capacity (if that happens), then they will still have a sense of social responsibility to others, distance, handwash, mask etc. We are not out of it yet. Vaccine or no vaccine.
Hi Mike,

You are quite right in that the pandemic is far from over. My own take is that the balancing act at some stage has to be a return to normal. Life does contain risk. Again, and this is just my personal opinion is that once the entire population has had the opportunity to be fully vaccinated then restrictions should go.

That said, I would hope that hand-sanitizers remain the norm. And I don't see why the minor inconvenience of masks in shops and public transport should be dispensed with.

It is about risk. Every time I drive I risk killing myself and others. By driving sober, within speed limits etc, that risk becomes acceptable. I think once we have everyone double vaccinated so is the risk of Covid.

Kairdiff Exile wrote:You really do see Marxists everywhere, don’t you?
To be honest, if the opposite of Marxism is what we see around us every day at the moment:

- Footballers having to feed poor kids because the government won't
- Record foodbank usage
- Endless QE pumping more wealth to the richest
- Senior MPs pumping their secretaries on the sly
- PM with a moral compass similar to that of a rabid dog
- Billions of pounds in COVID contracts awarded to friends of Tory MPs with no prior experience in the field

Then, in fact, Marxism sounds quite appealing to me. Not sure why people use it as an insult when the current shit-show is the alternative.

rncfc wrote:
To be honest, if the opposite of Marxism is what we see around us every day at the moment:

- Record foodbank usage
- Billions of pounds in COVID contracts awarded to friends of Tory MPs with no prior experience in the field

Then, in fact, Marxism sounds quite appealing to me. Not sure why people use it as an insult when the current shit-show is the alternative.
Good post

mad norm wrote:
rncfc wrote:

- Record foodbank usage

Good post
I don't disagree with the thrust. (Pun intended) I have to say though that Marxist's have affairs too. Where I detest Hancock's liaison is that some of us stuck to the rules which hurt as we saw loved ones die. If he had broken the rules to visit a sick loved one he would have been a hypocrite. Hancock broke the rules to have a shag. Contemptable beyond belief.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
mad norm wrote:
rncfc wrote:

- Record foodbank usage

Good post
I don't disagree with the thrust. (Pun intended) I have to say though that Marxist's have affairs too. Where I detest Hancock's liaison is that some of us stuck to the rules which hurt as we saw loved ones die. If he had broken the rules to visit a sick loved one he would have been a hypocrite. Hancock broke the rules to have a shag. Contemptable beyond belief.
Sorry I've dragged this thread down the political rabbit hole again...

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
pembsexile wrote:No point in second guessing what may happen - multiple scenarios could form, I can say what I have seen recently with regards to football fans.

Hi Mike,

You are quite right in that the pandemic is far from over. My own take is that the balancing act at some stage has to be a return to normal. Life does contain risk. Again, and this is just my personal opinion is that once the entire population has had the opportunity to be fully vaccinated then restrictions should go.

That said, I would hope that hand-sanitizers remain the norm. And I don't see why the minor inconvenience of masks in shops and public transport should be dispensed with.

It is about risk. Every time I drive I risk killing myself and others. By driving sober, within speed limits etc, that risk becomes acceptable. I think once we have everyone double vaccinated so is the risk of Covid.
Afternoon Brendan. My take is this:

This time last week I was of the view that ffs, come on, we have to get used to living with this Covid sometime. With vaccine rates continually going up and the link with vaccines and hospital admissions severely curtailed, it is time to remove restrictions. I have changed my mind slightly. No wonderCovid rates are going up in some areas.

Sorry London, but what I viewed there was pretty bad. Not many tourists around but certainly only about 50%of those I saw on buses wearing masks. As I previously mentioned, no-one in the pub I saw wore a mask although most did in Central London. Odd that. In fact, some places you cannot enter without a mask. Good. However, other entertainment places, hm…..

I hope that when Mr Drakeford makes his statement for Wales next week, that he makes the wearing of masks in public places compulsory. Allow free movement of people including in pubs and restaurants but keep the hand gel washing and wearing of masks a requirement in public places. My understanding at the moment is that you enter a pub wearing a mask, take it off when you are seated at your table and put it in again when you go to the lav. Similar scenario for food. This doesn’t happen at all places in London. It does happen where I drink locally.

I think this mask/gel requirement is most important in sporting venues where people are in close proximity. Football doesn’t need any negative news. It would be a total disaster if we go to 100% capacity and then at some time in the future we go back to some sort of crowd size control.

I'm with you, Pembs. I don't think it's unreasonable to ask people to continue to wear face masks on public transport or in shops (although I do feel sorry for people working in those environments who'd have to keep them on all day). Likewise, asking football fans to wear them in concourses, toilets etc (and enforcing it) would be a sensible precaution given the potential for mixing. I guess it means we couldn't sell food or drink in the ground - but again, that's a minor inconvenience rather than a major hardship.
Last edited by Kairdiff Exile on July 6th, 2021, 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Find myself agreeing with Kardiff,& Pems exiles and Stan's posts.
The logical time would have been to wait 'til Sept when hopefully everyone would have had the opportunity to have a 2nd jab, to relax the regulations on social distancing and mask wearing. Believe that the PM is shirking his responsibilities and behaving recklessly by scrapping them this month. Besides the obvious lobbying of his backbenchers, it would appear he is giving up on continuing to try and enforce the rules, against an ever increasing tide of ignorant and negligent people flouting them.
I too hope that the Welsh government maintain some legal requirements on social distancing and mask wearing in the highest risk areas, whilst cases, but more crucially hospitalizations and deaths continue to rise. Of course that will inevitably mean some reduction in crowd capacity at RP, when matches start again. Still await confirmation of when that will be though.

OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote:Find myself agreeing with Kardiff,& Pems exiles and Stan's posts.
The logical time would have been to wait 'til Sept when hopefully everyone would have had the opportunity to have a 2nd jab, to relax the regulations on social distancing and mask wearing. Believe that the PM is shirking his responsibilities and behaving recklessly by scrapping them this month. Besides the obvious lobbying of his backbenchers, it would appear he is giving up on continuing to try and enforce the rules, against an ever increasing tide of ignorant and negligent people flouting them.
I too hope that the Welsh government maintain some legal requirements on social distancing and mask wearing in the highest risk areas, whilst cases, but more crucially hospitalizations and deaths continue to rise. Of course that will inevitably mean some reduction in crowd capacity at RP, when matches start again. Still await confirmation of when that will be though.
Look at the actual numbers. Single digit deaths and increases in hospitalisations. I bet we have more people dying from road traffic accidents in Wales on a daily basis than COVID at present. The vaccine has broken the link between testing positive and hospitalisation & death.

https://coronaviruscymru.wales/hospital-data