Just a thought

On another thread in passing mention was made about statements on club websites. I think it deserves a thread of its own. So if websites, newspapers and the like actually told the truth do you think we'd all be happier. Now I'm not suggesting they lie, rather that the banal comments we read become so tiresome that these days I don't even bother.

Joe Bigboots signs for County. You can bet your life both the Argus and the Official County website will have him say.

"I have been very impressed with the way County play football and have always respected the philosophy of the club. The fans have a tremendous reputation and I'm looking forward to showing them what I can do. I have always been a big fan of the Gaffer and he sold me completely on the club. Having met the chairman and had a look around it really was a no brainer".

Now would a more informative interview read.

"It was a great disappointment that Barnsley let me go. I thought I'd done enough but they felt I wasn't quite up to Championship standard. I've signed for Newport County because they offered me the best deal my agent could find. I can assure the fans that I will always give 100% on the field. My intention now is to score 20 plus goals next season and show Barnsley that they made a mistake. If that happens it's a win/win."

The truth with every player County sign and what would be fine by me if they'd only say; "This is the best gig I could get. I promise only that I will give of my best.

Re: Just a thought

I don't think you'll get rid of the bland statements made by player and club when signing. The truth is that both are simple templates used by both parties where the name of the player and club are added into spaces provided. I'm not bothered about it. I judge the player on what he does for the club, not what his agent writes for him when signing up. The world is full of PR bluff, everyone knows it's bullshit, why give it even a moment's thought?