Re: Cardiff City vs County

Exile 1976 wrote:Day is a much better keeper than Townsend IMO. The only edge Townsend has is distribution, and for me that’s not even in the top three of traits of a goalkeeper I want
How about coming for crosses,Townsend is always confident whereas Day sometimes comes or sometimes stays.Townsend also does a bit of sweeper keeper.

A notable incident that seems to have ended up on the cutting room floor and is not shown in the brief highlights was a chance that fell to Ellison late on. The ball came to him in front of goal from our number 5 but seemed to take him by surprise and he failed to convert. This incident is shown 18 minutes into the extended highlights now up on Cardiff City TV.[/quote]

I think you'll find that incident occured at 7 mins. on my edited highlights....

Glyn.

Percy plunkett wrote:Looking at the highlights,Flynny still seems to favour Benno as a AM,surely his best role is DM or in a back three.He hasn’t got any pace to play there.
He played in the back 3 first half and was then pushed up into midfield after the break when Dolan came on into the defence and we switched to a back 4.

Blackandamber wrote:From the highlights it looks like Robbie is being played central midfield again :(
He was played in central midfield. For the first 10 minutes or so I thought he looked poor as we struggled to get out from the back but after that he found space and was a good link picking up the ball off the back three and getting us moving forward. He played a similar role to Sheehan last season and while he doesn't have the vision or accuracy of passing, he didn't constantly look like he was going to get tackled on the edge of the box by taking another unnecessary touch either.

Les wrote:
Exile 1976 wrote:Day is a much better keeper than Townsend IMO. The only edge Townsend has is distribution, and for me that’s not even in the top three of traits of a goalkeeper I want
So what are your top 3 traits..
In his autobiography Pat Jennings had a dig at Brian Clough for calling Jan Tomaszewski a clown. For those of you under fifty look up the October 1973 England v Poland World Cup qualifier. Jennings, who for those of you under fifty was a truly great goalkeeper, said the following.

If a goalkeeper has good distribution, that is a bonus. The only job of a goalkeeper was to stop the ball going into the net. It didn't matter whether he used his legs, arms, body or head, whether he looked good or not. His only job was to stop the opposition scoring.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Les wrote:
So what are your top 3 traits..
In his autobiography Pat Jennings had a dig at Brian Clough for calling Jan Tomaszewski a clown. For those of you under fifty look up the October 1973 England v Poland World Cup qualifier. Jennings, who for those of you under fifty was a truly great goalkeeper, said the following.

If a goalkeeper has good distribution, that is a bonus. The only job of a goalkeeper was to stop the ball going into the net. It didn't matter whether he used his legs, arms, body or head, whether he looked good or not. His only job was to stop the opposition scoring.

Totally agree with the following comment: If a goalkeeper has good distribution, that is a bonus. The only job of a goalkeeper was to stop the ball from going into the net. It didn't matter whether he used his legs, arms, body or head, whether he looked good or not. His only job was to stop the opposition from scoring.

Football has evolved since 1973.

Distribution is more important now for any number of reasons. Less physical contact allowed, pitches are better, technical ability is better due to more full time players, and so on.

Comparing football in the early 70s to the game we see today is not a comparison worth pondering over.

rncfc wrote:Football has evolved since 1973.

Distribution is more important now for any number of reasons. Less physical contact allowed, pitches are better, technical ability is better due to more full time players, and so on.

Comparing football in the early 70s to the game we see today is not a comparison worth pondering over.
Yes, and obviously in 1973, Goalies were allowed to pick the ball up from a back pass. Distribution is one of the key skills a GK can have in today's game. Unfortunately it is why Joe Day is back in League 2. A great shot stopper but unlike in 1973 that is not enough.

Ugo. wrote:

Yes, and obviously in 1973, Goalies were allowed to pick the ball up from a back pass. Distribution is one of the key skills a GK can have in today's game. Unfortunately it is why Joe Day is back in League 2. A great shot stopper but unlike in 1973 that is not enough.
He'd still be my number 1 on Saturday. A tough call on Townsend who has been excellent, but Day is too good for this division - indifferent distribution or not.

Such fine margins. If you’re the hundredth best midfielder in Britain, you’ll be earning a decent living as a league footballer; if you’re the hundredth best goalie, you’ll be playing part-time football in a league sponsored by an adhesive company and working part-time as a PT.

For me, Day’s distribution is ever-so-slightly below the goalies in Div 1 or Div 2, but he’s easily one of the best ‘keepers in Div 4 and we’re lucky to have him.

rncfc wrote:
Ugo. wrote:

He'd still be my number 1 on Saturday. A tough call on Townsend who has been excellent, but Day is too good for this division - indifferent distribution or not.
I agree that he will be number 1 and he is a fine goalkeeper but for people to suggest distribution isn't important are clearly wrong.