Re: Cardiff City vs County

Balanced review of the season ahead by Gabriel Sutton on his BetVictor blog, predicts County will finish third -

Newport might be in the same division now as they were when Michael Flynn took the reigns in March 2017, but they are in a completely different place.

Having looked like relegation certainties back then prior to the Great Escape, the Exiles have since reached two Play-Off Finals in four seasons and, against both Tranmere in 2019 and Morecambe this year, were unfortunate to be on the losing side.

Flynn will ensure his team are quick to bounce back, though and while it will be hard to replace Bolton-bound creator Josh Sheehan man-for-man, all-action midfielder Christopher Missilou could prove a more athletic equivalent of stalwart Joss Labadie, now at Walsall.

Control will come from Matt Dolan, now a half-back in Flynn’s 3-5-2 and midfielder Ed Upson, who can run games at this level understatedly, while utility man Scot Bennett remains to maintain continuity in key defensive areas.

Also signing a new deal is attacking livewire Lewis Collins, the obvious strike-partner for whom being persistent poacher Padraig Amond, though Newport may require a physical alternative: it could be Courtney Baker-Richardson if the former Swansea striker stays fit, while trialist Jordan Greenidge is the wildcard option.

Then again, the absence of a target man was exposed in the winter months of last season, when muddy Rodney Parade conditions forced a change of style, but Flynn hopes summer pitch renovations can allow for football on the deck for the full 10 months.

They will also help dribbler Courtney Senior, who is hoping to rediscover the exciting performances he enjoyed at Colchester prior to a tough couple of seasons, as either an attacking midfielder or a wide forward in a front-three.

Overcoming the loss of Sheehan will be tough but, if Newport can find alternative creativity, then they – and returning goalkeeping cult hero Joe Day – could achieve third-tier football for the first time in the club’s current incarnation.

Free beer wrote:Well played Day, Hylton and Wilmott. The regulars looking a tad ring rusty with none of the trialists advancing their cause.
Ex loanee Mark Harris looking sharp for City.
While Day made some good stops I feel Townsend is the better fit. He’s willing to act as an emergency defender and play out from the back. Just my opinion but Day appears reluctant to do either. Not much opportunity to gauge us going forward as City on top for long periods especially second half. Hylton, Missilou and Abrahams showed some nice touches.
By the way was Azas there yesterday? I didn’t notice him.

Although Day made some good saves yesterday and looked fit and athletic, I feel less nervous with Townsend in goal than with Day. It would be interesting to know what the experienced defenders such as Mickey D think.

For much of the game yesterday County were concentrating on keeping the ball down and passing it on the floor. Townsend played a full part in this with his rolling out of the ball rather than kicking. Cardiff were kept quiet for look periods by this tactic and it took an outstanding effort by Ralls to break the deadlock. If this is the policy for the new season I can see Townsend getting the nod over Day.

A notable incident that seems to have ended up on the cutting room floor and is not shown in the brief highlights was a chance that fell to Ellison late on. The ball came to him in front of goal from our number 5 but seemed to take him by surprise and he failed to convert. This incident is shown 18 minutes into the extended highlights now up on Cardiff City TV.
Last edited by G Guest on August 1st, 2021, 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.