Re: Jimmy Greaves

It will always be one of my most treasured football memories seeing Jimmy almost single handedly taking Arsenal apart at Highbury in November 1960?, while Vic Groves vainly tried to hang onto his shirt. I think the score was 4-1.

Jimmy Greaves was one of the [Ted] Drake Ducklings that emerged in the wake of Chelsea's solitary Championship win in 1955. Within 10 years the Pensioners became associated with Kings Road trendiness and shortly afterwards went into a 20 year decline.

For the record: Chelsea 157 Appearances 125 Goals
AC Milan 12 Appearances 9 Goals
Tottenham 321 Appearances 220 Goals
West Ham 38 Appearances 13 Goals
England 57 Appearances 44 Goals

It will be an emotional occasion at Spurs this afternoon.

RIP Jimmy

UPTHEPORT wrote:Did Jimmy ever play against us
I don't think so. County played Spurs in 1959 and 1960 but Greaves didn't join them until 1961.

When you get to my age you start thinking that what you thought were memories were really imaginings. I either really saw or imagine I saw Greavsie play for Spurs against Liverpool at White Hat Lane. Spurs were awarded a free kick within shooting distance. Greaves placed the ball down. stepped back. pointed at the crowd and when the Liverpool wall all turned their heads to look at what he was pointing at, kicked the ball into the net. A goal was allowed.

UPTHEPORT wrote:Did Jimmy ever play against us

I don't believe he did. He played against wales on the following dates:

17 October Ninian Park, Cardiff, 1–1 1959–60 British Home Championship (Goals 1).

23 November Wembley Stadium, London, 5–1 1960–61 British Home Championship (Goals 2).

21 November Wembley Stadium, London, 4–0 1962–63 British Home Championship (Goals 1).

12 October Ninian Park, Cardiff, 4–0 1963–64 British Home Championship (Goals 1).

2 October Ninian Park, Cardiff, 0–0 1965–66 British Home Championship

Jimmy Greaves MBE

North London Exile wrote:It will always be one of my most treasured football memories seeing Jimmy almost single handedly taking Arsenal apart at Highbury in November 1960?, while Vic Groves vainly tried to hang onto his shirt. I think the score was 4-1.

Jimmy Greaves was one of the [Ted] Drake Ducklings that emerged in the wake of Chelsea's solitary Championship win in 1955. Within 10 years the Pensioners became associated with Kings Road trendiness and shortly afterwards went into a 20 year decline.

For the record: Chelsea 157 Appearances 125 Goals
AC Milan 12 Appearances 9 Goals
Tottenham 321 Appearances 220 Goals
West Ham 38 Appearances 13 Goals
England 57 Appearances 44 Goals

It will be an emotional occasion at Spurs this afternoon.

RIP Jimmy
With stats like that imagine how much he would be worth in today's crazy transfer market
R.I.P Jimmy