Re: Barrow Fri 24th 7:45

llanwern exile wrote:Is there any reason for this game being switched to friday?
Not a sudden switch. Four away fixture changes were announced a while back. Harrogate, Barrow, Hartlepool and Colchester. It was never stated why, but it's obviously something to do with travelling distance. I guess it avoids an overnight stop on the Friday before a Saturday fixture and the late return in the early hours of Saturday morning for the players is compensated by a free Saturday to recover. No consolation for travelling supporters though.

excessbee wrote:
llanwern exile wrote:Is there any reason for this game being switched to friday?
Not a sudden switch. Four away fixture changes were announced a while back. Harrogate, Barrow, Hartlepool and Colchester. It was never stated why, but it's obviously something to do with travelling distance. I guess it avoids an overnight stop on the Friday before a Saturday fixture and the late return in the early hours of Saturday morning for the players is compensated by a free Saturday to recover. No consolation for travelling supporters though.
When we did it for the Harrogate game, it was stated that it was to avoid an overnight stay and to give players more rest before the midweek game the following Tuesday. On this occasion there is no midweek match the following week.

Amberexile wrote:
excessbee wrote:
When we did it for the Harrogate game, it was stated that it was to avoid an overnight stay and to give players more rest before the midweek game the following Tuesday. On this occasion there is no midweek match the following week.
All four rearranged away fixtures were announced at the same time. At that point, I think the match scheduled for the Tuesday after Harrogate was the EFL Trophy match against Plymouth. The Northampton match was a later switch with the Plymouth match moving to an earlier date. Surely a midweek EFL trophy match wouldn't prompt a change to the preceeding weekend fixture.

excessbee wrote:
Amberexile wrote:
excessbee wrote:
All four rearranged away fixtures were announced at the same time. At that point, I think the match scheduled for the Tuesday after Harrogate was the EFL Trophy match against Plymouth. The Northampton match was a later switch with the Plymouth match moving to an earlier date. Surely a midweek EFL trophy match wouldn't prompt a change to the preceeding weekend fixture.
Watching the Harrogate pre-match interview back, Flynn talks about saving the cost of staying overnight, not many fans would have gone anyway and Harrogate already had a few Friday matches. Then he agreed with the interview who pointed out that a Friday to Tuesday turnaround is better than Saturday to Tuesday.

excessbee wrote:Do we ever get the same referee twice in a season? They may have chosen the game where the fewest number of Newport supporters will be in attendance. Are the bookies allowed to offer odds on a team being awarded a penalty?
I would imagine that's possible mate. Try Bet365

rncfc wrote:
excessbee wrote:Do we ever get the same referee twice in a season? They may have chosen the game where the fewest number of Newport supporters will be in attendance. Are the bookies allowed to offer odds on a team being awarded a penalty?
I would imagine that's possible mate. Try Bet365
Not going to start betting this late in life! Just wondered if it was an allowed bet, on the basis that it could encourage underhand events on the pitch. I suppose the bookies will take money from punters for anything that's requested.