Pub Games

Different tack

Love playing cribbage....play at community centre where I volunteer and with a bowls club member (90yrs old and bright as button)
Have a decent bagatelle board that my old man bought me...great fun
Shove halfpenny..now there's a skill. Mahogany board but remember playing on slate in Newport.
Bar billiards ..another gem. Tanner a go when I started playing it in The Brewery Ashtead
Probably my favourite was Euchre...Which I played regularly on Saturday at the
Bridge Inn near Portreatn Cornwall whilst living there for ,8 ,years..
Any more traditional ones people know of?

Re: Pub Games

I'm from Oxfordshire and we played some odd pub games there:

Aunt Sally - played in the pub beer garden
Metal pole sticking out of the floor to waist height with a wooden 'peg' about the size of a rounders bat balanced on top. Players then throw (underarm) another wooden stick and try to knock it off from about 25 yards away. Sounds simple/stupid but is an addictive drinking game.

Lots of pubs still have American bar billiards tables, the one with a little peg on the spot where the black sits, knock this over you lose.

Dominoes and shove ha'penny are still thriving pub games.

Oh yes, plus the usual Friday night fights.

excessbee wrote:I remember being stunned to be told, when about twenty years old, that six spot dominoes was just a kids game and real men played nine spot. I can thank my mate from Wigan for putting me right.
Can you still play 5's and 3's with 9 spots?

mad norm wrote:
Madhatter wrote:Up the Western valley we also played corks.
Think the league is still going ......
Explain please...Never heard of it....Sounds interesting. Ta
Hi Norm,
I played corks a good few years ago for a club called The Progressive Working Mens Club in a Sunday lunch time league.
A basic explanation is if I remember correctly there was a circle with 4 dots if you imagine North, South, East and west on the outer ring of the circle and one in the middle of the circle
A cork was placed on each dot valued at 1 for the nearest cork, 5 in the middle and 3 at the back and 2 and 4 on the right and left of the circle.
The player stood about 10 to 15 feet away, I cant remember exactly, and had 3 corks to throw, 1 at a time, underarm at the corks in the circle trying to knock them out of the circle.
A team started with I think 51 and each cork knocked out of the circle brought the score down according to the value of the cork until you reached exactly zero a bit like darts coming down from 501
If you had for example a score of 3 left and hit the cork valued at 5 out of the circle you would bust
Hope that makes a bit of sense because that was hard to explain lol
Good fun and a few of the older fellas took it fairly seriously especially when playing a nearby club or pub