Re: Louie Hall

Hope we have a one year extension option,

Don’t want to develop him and he then beggars off somewhere else,

I know we would get something as he is under 24 but not a lot .

Nice to see we are trying to develop for the future .

DPT wrote:Hope we have a one year extension option,

Don’t want to develop him and he then beggars off somewhere else,

I know we would get something as he is under 24 but not a lot .

Nice to see we are trying to develop for the future .
Equally people will criticise the club if they give him a longer deal, and the kid fails to make the grade …. Clubs at our level and budget will alway have this stick or twist dilemma.

I'm excited about this move, not necessarily the player itself, but the fact that County are recruiting promising youngsters to assess their abilities, work on their weaknesses with less pressure to perform. Obviously the development squad will succeed or fail possibly on the quality of the opposition put in front of them but it's certainly a move in the right direction.

Justaordinaryfan,

We don’t need to offer a two years contract . What I am suggesting is that we offer a one year contract but the club ( not the player) can extend by a further year if we think is going to make the grade as a L2 player.

A win win situation for the club.

We are in a string position with this type of player, if they don’t like the offer they can always look elsewhere.

DPT wrote:Justaordinaryfan,

We don’t need to offer a two years contract . What I am suggesting is that we offer a one year contract but the club ( not the player) can extend by a further year if we think is going to make the grade as a L2 player.

A win win situation for the club.

We are in a string position with this type of player, if they don’t like the offer they can always look elsewhere.
Two problems with that. Why would he sign a contract with no benefit to himself?

There might also be a problem in that even if he were to sign a contract on such a basis, the lack of what is known as 'consideration' might well make the contract unenforceable in any event.

It's noticeable across L2 that there are far more one-year deals this summer. Some will involve an extension in a club's favour. High time the balance swung that way.

Any player lucky enough to get an offer after weeks on trial at a club who says "Hang on, the lack of what is known as 'consideration' in that which I have been offered is unacceptable" will likely be back in tier 6 multo pronto to start the process all over.

A player on one who quickly proves to be L2 standard would likely get an extension offer during the season.
Last edited by George Street-Bridge on July 29th, 2021, 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

George Street-Bridge wrote:It's noticeable across L2 that there are far more one-year deals this summer. Some will involve an extension in a club's favour. High time the balance swung that way.

Any player lucky enough to get an offer after weeks on trial at a club who says "Hang on, the lack of what is known as 'consideration' in that which I have been offered is unacceptable" will likely be back in tier 6 multo pronto to start the process all over.

A player on one who quickly proves to be L2 standard would likely get an extension offer during the season.
George,

Consideration is a legal term. In contract law, for a contract to be enforceable there as to be what is termed consideration. It doesn't mean thinking about it, it doesn't mean being considerate.

Let me assist you.

It seems Mr Hall has signed a one year contract with Newport County. The consideration which flows from Mr Hall to Newport County is that Mr Hall offers his services as a footballer. The consideration which flows from Newport County to Mr Hall is Mr Hall's wages.

Now even if Mr Hall does now sign an agreement in which he agrees that he be bound to Newport County if County want him but gets nothing in return, the reality is that there is no longer any consideration flowing from Newport County to Mr Hall.

And without that consideration there is no enforceable contract.

There is of course no reason why you should know this as you are not a lawyer, let alone a contract lawyer. However you might be wise to not offer your opinions on matters of which you have know nothing.