Re: Squad too big??

We have 30 players on contract including Podge and excluding Livermore,who is a third year scholar.Of course,that is far too big,we used to knock the likes of FGR for having large squads and now we are doing the same.Some may argue that there are three young pro players plus Hall in that number but,I expect those players to be ready to step up at any time.In fact,Woodiwiss and Twamley should be getting a chance already,Unfortunately,there are a few journeymen dead woods in their way.I would say that 26 is more than enough,save on wages and let the above contribute by moving three or four out.

I know it takes time to bed in a host of new players but, based on early season form, it does look like we’ve switched from a ‘quantity rather than quality loan signings regime’ to a ‘quantity over quality permanent signings regime’.

I can only guess several of our squad are actually registered for the development squad so we can use them but stay within squad size rules?

Have the development squad actually payed a game? Not heard of anything anywhere. What sort of fixtures can we expect? Is there a league? With such a large squad, those who are not getting 90mins week in need to be playing somewhere so when they are needed they can slot straight in.

I’m pretty certain they have not played a game. They are not in a league and will play games on a as and when needed basis…. With a squad of 30 and a match day squad of 18/19 there is a good number not playing regular which surely makes coming in when needed very difficult as not match ready…

Squad size is ridiculous Flynn is set on bankrupting the club with his magpie approach to signings. How many forwards do we have - on the bench last night only one deemed good enough to make the squad.
The Board have indulged him far too much they need to grow a pair and stand up to and hold him to account. Last season he was given a budget to get promotion and failed - his comments post play off deserved the sack but the Board bottled it - luckily we have a struggling Walsall on Saturday anything other than three points for me would put Flynn on notice improve or go.

We have 40 players on the books including Amond, so in reality 39 available.
Of the 39, we have 27 let's say senior players including Livermore and Hall.
We have 12 1st year pros or scholars who are only likely to play in the EFL Trophy.
So that currently leaves 25 senior players available for selection, with Bennett and Senior out injured.

I agree with some very valid points there….
All those strikers and only 1 on the bench!! Although Walsall are hardly struggling… they have the same amount of points as us and a slightly better goal difference… I thought this Director Football may have slowed down all the signings and loans of which just seem a waste of money…

I agree that the squad is far too big. When I first watched County in the 1960s the club would use no more than about 18 players in a season. And some of them would only play a few games.

Having bloated playing resources is not helping anyone. Not the players who want games, or the manager who does not know his best team and can't find out because there are not enough places in match day squads for players to show their worth. Or the club whose wealth is being squandered. Very unhappy at the moment.

Heard an interview on the BBC ( I know) bunch of leftie *****. With Steve Cotterill. (Dying from Long Covid)

Covid, bla, bla. But, he's the manager of Shrewsbury Town. Something he said in the interview was ....I loved all those players that season, but next we have to get a new set.

So, not just in Div 2.

Flynny has worked it brilliantly so far, why not always.

This always reminds me of Juco trying to get to Div 1.