Gay professional footballers

News this morning from Australia that Josh Cavallo who plays professional football for Adelaide has come out as gay. What is staggering is that he is the only professional footballer in the world to do so. That is extraordinary in my opinion. Good for him and I am glad he feels that now is the right time to say so.

However, it raises the question - why haven’t others come out? I suspect that it is because of the perceived reaction from fans. It is probably us that need to change their views, not gay footballers.

I think it will now be only a matter of time before a UK pro comes out as gay. The only downside I can see would be the media hype associated with the player and the club he plays for. It could be managed if done correctly.

For me, the sad thing is that sexuality should have no relevance to how you play football. Can you do the business as a player for your club? That is the main requisite, not your sexuality.

Re: Gay professional footballers

pembsexile wrote: October 27th, 2021, 9:40 am News this morning from Australia that Josh Cavallo who plays professional football for Adelaide has come out as gay. What is staggering is that he is the only professional footballer in the world to do so. That is extraordinary in my opinion. Good for him and I am glad he feels that now is the right time to say so.

However, it raises the question - why haven’t others come out? I suspect that it is because of the perceived reaction from fans. It is probably us that need to change their views, not gay footballers.

I think it will now be only a matter of time before a UK pro comes out as gay. The only downside I can see would be the media hype associated with the player and the club he plays for. It could be managed if done correctly.

For me, the sad thing is that sexuality should have no relevance to how you play football. Can you do the business as a player for your club? That is the main requisite, not your sexuality.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sport ... aller.html

Frog wrote: October 27th, 2021, 8:48 pm If you were a gay footballer would want to out yourself and put up with the abuse from bigots in the crowd
Sadly, the problem appears to be a bigger problem for Football than other sports because of a very small number of as you you say bigots that would almost certainly abuse any footballer brave enough to 'out himself' . I assuming it's not an issue in the women's game. Of course Football having the greatest number of spectators, and the highest profile, inevitably increases the probability of such bigots; and unwanted media attention, especially in some parts of the world.
I'm almost certainly being unrealistic, but look forward to the day when a players' sexuality is regarded as no more relevant than his favourite meal, TV programme to watch or music to listen to.

OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote: October 27th, 2021, 9:53 pm
Frog wrote: October 27th, 2021, 8:48 pm If you were a gay footballer would want to out yourself and put up with the abuse from bigots in the crowd
Sadly, the problem appears to be a bigger problem for Football than other sports because of a very small number of as you you say bigots that would almost certainly abuse any footballer brave enough to 'out himself' . I assuming it's not an issue in the women's game. Of course Football having the greatest number of spectators, and the highest profile, inevitably increases the probability of such bigots; and unwanted media attention, especially in some parts of the world.
I'm almost certainly being unrealistic, but look forward to the day when a players' sexuality is regarded as no more relevant than his favourite meal, TV programme to watch or music to listen to.
It wouldn't be an issue in the men's game now either, it isn't the 1970s anymore.

rncfc wrote: October 28th, 2021, 7:26 am
It wouldn't be an issue in the men's game now either, it isn't the 1970s anymore.
You are deluding yourself, sorry!

DT1892 wrote: October 28th, 2021, 4:26 pm You only have to see some of the comments when a football club reveals the corner flags are going to be rainbow coloured for a game, to realise there's still a long way to go yet.
Sadly I think you’re probably correct. However, it only takes a small trawl through your relatives and friends to realise just how small-minded these fools really are. They probably correlate rather well with the racists and other bigots. Thankfully I do think that the times, they are a changing - at least I bloody well hope so. It’s time for all reasonable people to silence the bullies.

https://www.facebook.com/jonescmj1957/v ... 2803093957 have I ever told you I was HOMOSEXUAL! Never! I have said I am gay, this is me scoring with my first touch of the ball after coming on as a substitute, to score the winning goal and put us in the final of the Gay Games World Cup. I was 42 at the time. Yes I'm proud to have been a pioneer, ashamed I felt the need to resign from the Newport AFC board because of a newspaper article one of which referred to us as Queens of the South. The journey has begun but is not over.

All of you that have thrown cheap Jibes saying, We know you are a HOMOSEXUAL, are proof that we have not achieved parity.

Enough said. Now can I please have some assistance with fundraising for Newport County Supporters Trust? Not one, not one person has come forward with a recent offer of support, with my efforts. But there have been plenty of cheap attacks.

https://youtu.be/K0auysd6ysg

jonescmj1 wrote: October 28th, 2021, 4:22 pm
rncfc wrote: October 28th, 2021, 7:26 am
You are deluding yourself, sorry!
I'd like to think not, but I guess I'm not particularly well-qualified to be sure.

jonescmj1 wrote: October 28th, 2021, 9:27 pm https://www.facebook.com/jonescmj1957/v ... 2803093957 have I ever told you I was HOMOSEXUAL! Never! I have said I am gay, this is me scoring with my first touch of the ball after coming on as a substitute, to score the winning goal and put us in the final of the Gay Games World Cup. I was 42 at the time. Yes I'm proud to have been a pioneer, ashamed I felt the need to resign from the Newport AFC board because of a newspaper article one of which referred to us as Queens of the South. The journey has begun but is not over.

All of you that have thrown cheap Jibes saying, We know you are a HOMOSEXUAL, are proof that we have not achieved parity.

Enough said. Now can I please have some assistance with fundraising for Newport County Supporters Trust? Not one, not one person has come forward with a recent offer of support, with my efforts. But there have been plenty of cheap attacks.

https://youtu.be/K0auysd6ysg
Colin,

Why are you conflating two issues?

Regardless of whether your fundraising ideas are good or bad, I don't see that not assisting you with fundraising has anything to do with the issue of gay footballers.

If it is your contention that people did not support you because you are gay, then say so. And deal with the opposition you will get. If you are not saying that, don't conflate the issues, doing so is making it appear that you may be implying that people on this board are not supporting your ideas because they are homophobes..