Green County?

With Green issues in the spotlight with COP etc, is there anything that we or the club could be doing on the Green issue. This is not a criticism, just a general question. Environmental issues affect us all and most people will try and do their bit to help alleviate the problem. I do things in our household but to be honest, I don’t really have much idea what professional football in general can do. There must be something though.

We do hear things regarding professional football and green issues in the news, and love them or loathe them FGR have stolen a march on us all. I don’t know if the club has a Green Ambassador, do we even need one?

There is so much that the club could do I think, but should football clubs keep out of it or take responsible action? Solar panels at RP perhaps? Cut down on travel or use EV. Why not? Any thoughts?

Re: Green County?

The common denominator being that they are all Clubs with loads of money, of course it is easy to be altruistic when cost is no longer an issue but image is, the ‘green’ agenda then providing an ideal platform to promote their cause or business standing.
In the case of FGR, the more who buy into the green philosophy will ultimately become more customers for Dale Vince and Ecotricity, personally I would be more impressed if he offered free charging for electric vehicles, but I suspect that’s unlikely.

One thing that is massively under used is the recyclable cups, which I've seen at recent trips to Prague and Exeter. You pay £2 for example and either keep a branded cup, or take it back at the end of the game and get your £2 back. Obviously this is a RP issue, not County. But the amount of plastic cups they go through is crazy.

jamiencafc wrote: November 4th, 2021, 11:23 am One thing that is massively under used is the recyclable cups, which I've seen at recent trips to Prague and Exeter. You pay £2 for example and either keep a branded cup, or take it back at the end of the game and get your £2 back. Obviously this is a RP issue, not County. But the amount of plastic cups they go through is crazy.
Good post.
Everybody pays lip service but when it comes to taking even the most simple positive action, suddenly the atrophy is the norm

Taunton Iron Cider wrote: November 3rd, 2021, 6:54 pm
The common denominator being that they are all Clubs with loads of money, of course it is easy to be altruistic when cost is no longer an issue but image is, the ‘green’ agenda then providing an ideal platform to promote their cause or business standing.
In the case of FGR, the more who buy into the green philosophy will ultimately become more customers for Dale Vince and Ecotricity, personally I would be more impressed if he offered free charging for electric vehicles, but I suspect that’s unlikely.
There are a lot of ideas being used, especially by BHA. which shouldn't cost a great deal of money such as waste management and sourcing local food products.

That’s a superb link, thanks for that. Other than FGR I didn’t know anything about what other clubs are doing. I particularly liked the Arsenal idea of using energy from massive batteries for match days. I hope they get it from green sources. The use of batteries supplied with green power is something I have installed at home. You need a battery to mains inverter and a solar panel controller with a usb hub, but, it works. Relatively low cost as well.

FGR are the world leaders in this and only a stone's throw away. I'm sure ol' Dale Vince would lend some advice to a fellow club on how to cost and achieve some green-based goals...

May as well go vegan on the menu as the current crop of food offering is fairly poor to start! 🤣

Problem will always be where to find the money to fund these initiatives as a fan-owned club with finite resource.

I suppose though, we are pretty much limited on stadia-based solutions due to rental agreement...

More on FGR...

Mr Vince has been asked (possibly paid?) by the FA to educate all clubs about how to make football greener.

It’s inevitable most, if not all clubs will have to improve their bet carbon footprints after this week’s govt announcement that all medium and large businesses need to work towards a net carbon zero sharpish, even a business the size of County constitutes a medium sized business.