Re: Green County?

On topic. I still believe that Newport County should examine the feasibility of running a bus service through various areas of what is the Newport/Gwent conurbation much of which is ill served by public transport. Especially as at night many younger and older supporters may be unable to attend if they have to rely on public transport. And indeed it would encourage some people put of cars. Green a real service for supporters and perhaps a way of bringing in potential supporters. I suppose you could also sell p
programmes on board. If you're on a bus for an hour or more you'd want something to read.

Some good suggestions coming in. My contribution to the travel idea was that we reduce the amount of travel or use EV. No way would I want the club to have to fork out for shared travel. If there would be a bus to travel the Newport catchment area, it would be right and proper that the travelling fans pay for it. Needs a lot more thought but it could be done. Colins idea of a Uber type app is great.

I have no idea as to the current Newport transport arrangements (times and routes of buses etc) as I don’t live locally anymore. We could pick up the fans who can’t travel anymore. One of our prominent posters on here doesn’t go to games anymore because of restricted travel arrangements. He may use the facility if it was available.

I have been reliably informed that the efl are about to issue some kind of green initiative to clubs. It will be interesting to see what it is about. Good on them but we don’t want FGR to get too far ahead of us in this table!

Please keep the ideas coming in and I will make a list of the ideas at a later date.

Morning Mike,
Another idea on which I would be interested to know people's views. I can understand the 3-00pm kick-off time on Saturday's in the era of when the working week included Saturday mornings. However with changing work patterns I wonder if when the clocks go back whether it might not be an idea to kick-off games at 2-00pm. Saving the energy and cost of flood-lighting.

pembsexile wrote: November 6th, 2021, 8:55 am Some good suggestions coming in. My contribution to the travel idea was that we reduce the amount of travel or use EV. No way would I want the club to have to fork out for shared travel. If there would be a bus to travel the Newport catchment area, it would be right and proper that the travelling fans pay for it. Needs a lot more thought but it could be done. Colins idea of a Uber type app is great.

I have no idea as to the current Newport transport arrangements (times and routes of buses etc) as I don’t live locally anymore. We could pick up the fans who can’t travel anymore. One of our prominent posters on here doesn’t go to games anymore because of restricted travel arrangements. He may use the facility if it was available.

I have been reliably informed that the efl are about to issue some kind of green initiative to clubs. It will be interesting to see what it is about. Good on them but we don’t want FGR to get too far ahead of us in this table!

Please keep the ideas coming in and I will make a list of the ideas at a later date.

https://www.fflecsi.wales/locations/newport/

This is what is available in Newport, which covers up to 11pm. The idea is to reduce the amount of fixed service buses running next to empty, and is obviously a green initiative, as well as sensible.

Some under fifteens are bussed by the academy, where they have difficult transport options.

Providing an alternative to public transport, is just adding to the problem, not providing a green initiative.

As for starting a bus in Ebbw Vale, I have met County fans who used to come to games from there, as well as Brynmawr, Blaina, Nantyglo and Abertillery. However they were all well into their 80's.

I would suggest that a car sharing service is better for the valleys, along the lines that Colin has suggested.

Finally did the ill fated Ebbw Vale/Newport Rugby franchise deliver many Ebbw Vale based fans?
I don't believe you can just join separate populations together, and assume they will act as one.

Bangitintrnet wrote: November 6th, 2021, 11:14 am
pembsexile wrote: November 6th, 2021, 8:55 am Some good suggestions coming in. My contribution to the travel idea was that we reduce the amount of travel or use EV. No way would I want the club to have to fork out for shared travel. If there would be a bus to travel the Newport catchment area, it would be right and proper that the travelling fans pay for it. Needs a lot more thought but it could be done. Colins idea of a Uber type app is great.

https://www.fflecsi.wales/locations/newport/

This is what is available in Newport, which covers up to 11pm. The idea is to reduce the amount of fixed service buses running next to empty, and is obviously a green initiative, as well as sensible.

Some under fifteens are bussed by the academy, where they have difficult transport options.

Providing an alternative to public transport, is just adding to the problem, not providing a green initiative.

As for starting a bus in Ebbw Vale, I have met County fans who used to come to games from there, as well as Brynmawr, Blaina, Nantyglo and Abertillery. However they were all well into their 80's.

I would suggest that a car sharing service is better for the valleys, along the lines that Colin has suggested.

Finally did the ill fated Ebbw Vale/Newport Rugby franchise deliver many Ebbw Vale based fans?
I don't believe you can just join separate populations together, and assume they will act as one.
So I couldn't resist pressing the display this post icon and am pleasantly surprised. A lucid contribution to debate. And I'm happy to respond in kind.

Firstly, I agree entirely about car sharing. It's not I think Colin's idea is a bad one but why not put a sticky on this board, advertising car share? I'm sure many people would be glad to share transport costs, not just from Gwent but from much further afield.

Secondly I note the problems you raise regarding public transport. Which would seem to me to be an argument in favour of running a chartered bus or busses. I also note the comment about fans in their 80's. Even though some will have sadly left us, others of us are rapidly approaching that age, and for them/us I would have thought such a service a God send.

Finally I note your comment re Ebbw Vale fans. But the truth is neither of us know whether a chartered bus scheme is viable. Your criticism of me would be correct if I were saying that our club should run such a scheme. What I am in fact saying is that the club should investigate the feasibility of such a scheme.

So let us draw a line under the past, I will unblock you and I look forward to any constructive criticism you might have.

Developing Bangitinthenet's idea re car share, perhaps the club should consider running a service whereby supporters who wished to car share could email the club and be put in touch with other like minded supporters. A service with virtually zero cost, good PR, would encourage higher attendance and is very 'green'.

Personally I don't think email is where the UK is at, compared to an app.
I have no idea what it would cost to construct an app, however Peter Managan did have a software company, so would know who to ask.
I would guess that the cost might initially be high, but it would be something that could be licensed to interested third parties. That's assuming that software doesn't already exist.

Should it be decided that it is worthwhile costing, and then going forward, there are COVID Business Bounce Back grants available at present at 2.5% per annum.

Bangitintrnet wrote: November 6th, 2021, 12:31 pm Personally I don't think email is where the UK is at, compared to an app.
I have no idea what it would cost to construct an app, however Peter Managan did have a software company, so would know who to ask.
I would guess that the cost might initially be high, but it would be something that could be licensed to interested third parties. That's assuming that software doesn't already exist.

Should it be decided that it is worthwhile costing, and then going forward, there are COVID Business Bounce Back grants available at present at 2.5% per annum.
Newport County put a small feature in the match programme. Merely saying that if there are fans who travel by car who would be interested in car sharing then the club will pass on email addresses and general area where the journey commences. As there is virtually no cost what can be the harm?

A few years ago I took a man in the last year of his life to about 10 games. He had given up on the idea that he would ever see County again. We 'met' on this board. Sometimes low tech solutions work. Worth a go don't you think?