Yorkshire CCC

Interesting to hear what others think about this.
The press will no doubt revel in it all
Sponsors are going down like flies
Was it "banter"
I'd like to know far more from other parties to make my mind up,although clearly there is an issue
Thoughts?

Re: Yorkshire CCC

Here's the thing Norm.
Banter. Needs to be between equals. It's a way of being inclusive. For powerful people, board members, England players to take the piss out of a young lad Pakistani origin is simply not banter. To use the language that Gary Ballance has admitted to, is in any event, incapable of being banter. Although he at least has had the guts to apologize.

And it goes deeper. As adults we can rationalize. I know for instance there is one anonymous individual on this board who persistently refers to me as a 'foreign troll'. It is unpleasant racist abuse but being an adult I can appreciate that the individual involved is not of high intellect and no doubt has his own insecurities to deal with. However that does not mean that his behaviour doesn't cause pain to children on this board who don't share his white, Anglo-Saxon Protestant heritage. And indeed it reflects badly on the club.
At Yorkshire the abuse was far worse and of a much higher profile. If you were a young talented cricketer of Asian heritage growing up in west Yorkshire this would not encourage you to develop- those talents at Headingly now would it?

I’ve not been following the story too closely, but believe the term ‘Paki’ was used at an Asian cricketer. Now, I’m asking a general question here. When I was growing up in Pill, that term was used to differentiate between the West Indian population & Asians. It was never used maliciously as far as I can remember. Nowadays, the term is deemed offensive & yet we use the words ‘Brits’ (especially here in Spain) & Aussies all the time. Nobody thinks these words are offensive.

That was used in Newport when I was growing up, solely as derogatory term. There even being songs sung in the schoolyard in the 80's like "I see the red light flashing, I'm going p*** bashing" ... it's always been used as a malicious slur since I can remember. Truly awful.

Dogger wrote: November 8th, 2021, 9:25 am I’ve not been following the story too closely, but believe the term ‘Paki’ was used at an Asian cricketer. Now, I’m asking a general question here. When I was growing up in Pill, that term was used to differentiate between the West Indian population & Asians. It was never used maliciously as far as I can remember. Nowadays, the term is deemed offensive & yet we use the words ‘Brits’ (especially here in Spain) & Aussies all the time. Nobody thinks these words are offensive.
It was always deemed offensive, but the "Asians" were too scared of getting beaten up to complain.

Stan A. Einstein wrote: November 5th, 2021, 11:11 am Here's the thing Norm.
Banter. Needs to be between equals. It's a way of being inclusive. For powerful people, board members, England players to take the piss out of a young lad Pakistani origin is simply not banter. To use the language that Gary Ballance has admitted to, is in any event, incapable of being banter. Although he at least has had the guts to apologize.

And it goes deeper. As adults we can rationalize. I know for instance there is one anonymous individual on this board who persistently refers to me as a 'foreign troll'. It is unpleasant racist abuse but being an adult I can appreciate that the individual involved is not of high intellect and no doubt has his own insecurities to deal with. However that does not mean that his behaviour doesn't cause pain to children on this board who don't share his white, Anglo-Saxon Protestant heritage. And indeed it reflects badly on the club.
At Yorkshire the abuse was far worse and of a much higher profile. If you were a young talented cricketer of Asian heritage growing up in west Yorkshire this would not encourage you to develop- those talents at Headingly now would it?
Interesting comments, I am anonymous on an anonymous forum, is there an issue with that then , as I am not attacking you, I am calling YOU out for what you are, a foreign troll. The reason for this is to get you to stop arguing with all and sundry and actually debate.

I attach the word foreign to troll, as a description, in order that others know who I am talking about.
I could have easily chosen Ugly Troll, as that is also true, but as less people have met you, less would understand who I was discussing.

Having described me as anonymous, you then go on to describe me as White, Anglo Saxon, Protestant. First time a White, Celtic, Agnostic has been described as that, but ho hum, if it floats your boat, so to speak.
I agree that you reflect badly on the club, but am glad it is getting to you. It's not banter or attacking you, it's calling YOU out.
You see there is a big difference in that it is up to you. Only YOU can make it all suddenly go away.
Only YOU, but can you? Is it actually possible, after all this time I somehow doubt it.