Willmott - Best Position Now

I was rather surprised that since Upson was sent off Robbie has been playing as a defensive midfielder. He did well there against Stevenage but are his attacking skills being wasted? How did he get on at Morecambe? I've only seen 2 minutes of highlights. He was hardly mentioned in the Radio Wales commentary.

Should JR persist in playing him as a defensive midfielder or should he play further up the field?

Re: Willmott - Best Position Now

Blackandamber wrote: November 9th, 2021, 9:08 am I was rather surprised that since Upson was sent off Robbie has been playing as a defensive midfielder. He did well there against Stevenage but are his attacking skills being wasted? How did he get on at Morecambe? I've only seen 2 minutes of highlights. He was hardly mentioned in the Radio Wales commentary.

Should JR persist in playing him as a defensive midfielder or should he play further up the field?
Don't see him taking the place of Cooper who has been operating right side of midfield in recent games. Will we even play with a defensive midfielder if Dolan is re-introduced as part of a back 3?
Obviously questions JR will have to answer. Nice to have options if everyone stays fit.

It seems that whoever is the manager, Willmott is nearly always in the starting X1 but rarely starts in his strongest position. Whenever there is a problem due to injury or suspension the manager says "I know we'll play Willmott there". He's played every position except centre back and goal keeper, although in one game Robbie thought he was the keeper but the referee disagreed and sent him off lol.

Pains me as it does Percy is quite right.
Nigel Vaughan had that problem, Len Ashurst, God rest him, often played him as a defensive midfielder simply because he was so versatile. If memory serves an FA Cup replay against Enfield saw us 2-0 down at half time. Forced to change formation, Nigel became an attacking midfielder in the second half. Suffice to say we won, I think 4-2.

Enfield home now there’s a memory I was only a pup. If I remember it was a bloody awful night ….. getting stuffed at HT but hammered em second half ? Bit too young to remember the Vaughan switch but it obviously worked.

Went to Morecambe …. Saturday was a strange one tbh, weather was so bad that neither side really grabbed hold of midfield although we did play some good stuff at times …. Cooper or Wilmott couldn’t really get in the game but thought Azaz did well ?

Justanordinaryfan wrote: November 9th, 2021, 8:02 pm Enfield home now there’s a memory I was only a pup. If I remember it was a bloody awful night ….. getting stuffed at HT but hammered em second half ? Bit too young to remember the Vaughan switch but it obviously worked.

Went to Morecambe …. Saturday was a strange one tbh, weather was so bad that neither side really grabbed hold of midfield although we did play some good stuff at times …. Cooper or Wilmott couldn’t really get in the game but thought Azaz did well ?
After tonight's match I can't see Upson getting back into the side (he looked unfit) so probably Willmott will have to play defensive midfield again. Hmm!

Blackandamber wrote: November 9th, 2021, 8:57 pm
Justanordinaryfan wrote: November 9th, 2021, 8:02 pm Enfield home now there’s a memory I was only a pup. If I remember it was a bloody awful night ….. getting stuffed at HT but hammered em second half ? Bit too young to remember the Vaughan switch but it obviously worked.

After tonight's match I can't see Upson getting back into the side (he looked unfit) so probably Willmott will have to play defensive midfield again. Hmm!
Agreed. Although if you put Willmott further forward, who do you drop to accommodate him?

From what I've seen, Willmott has been playing fairly deep for most of the season with Upson next to him.
With those two in the middle and Dolan as the spare CB, we've played some nice football at times. I've always thought Robbie was an out and out winger and looked fairly light weight in previous seasons when moved to the middle. However he's been one of our most consistent performers this season and potentially our player of the season thus far (Telford making a claim for it recently though).

Keep up the good work Robbie.