Question Newport County

Poll ended at October 14th, 2021, 12:17 pm You may select 1 option

should put out the best possible team;
Total votes: 22 (47%)
begin to put resources into the development of the club.?
Total votes: 22 (47%)
Or no opinion
Total votes: 3 (6%)
Total votes: 47

Re: Poll how should we move forward as a Club

Stan A. Einstein wrote: November 10th, 2021, 10:08 am The point being Newport County don't have a choice. If the rugby decide we must go we are f@cked. If the rugby decide to charge a rent which is too high, we have no option but to pay it.

I only studied economics until the end of the first year of my first degree. However unless you can grasp that simple rule of economics then you're heading for an unclassified in GCSE.

Most of you will know the story of the inn keeper who hired out horses. He was the only person for miles around who did so. He charged premium rates for battered old nags. You either paid him what he wanted or you walked. The innkeeper's name was Hobson.

Hence Hobson' s choice.
We could always ask Cardiff City if we could ground share with them. They may need some extra revenue after they've been relegated :lol:

Stan A. Einstein wrote: November 10th, 2021, 10:08 am The point being Newport County don't have a choice. If the rugby decide we must go we are f@cked. If the rugby decide to charge a rent which is too high, we have no option but to pay it.

I only studied economics until the end of the first year of my first degree. However unless you can grasp that simple rule of economics then you're heading for an unclassified in GCSE.

Most of you will know the story of the inn keeper who hired out horses. He was the only person for miles around who did so. He charged premium rates for battered old nags. You either paid him what he wanted or you walked. The innkeeper's name was Hobson.

Hence Hobson' s choice.
Sorry, but even if your unlikely legal industry domesday clause, is at some point necessary, why are Bristol Rovers, Cardiff City, the Brewery Field Bridgend not options?

It's not as if we haven't been involuntary Gypsy's in the past, as a knock-on result of purchasing our own stadium is it?

However rather than dwell on the past, I prefer to look to the future, as Indeed David Buttress does in his podcast. He clearly respects the past, but needs to make decisions based on situation he is facing today. He is happy with the sharing situation, as are the WRU who have invested heavily on behalf of their tenants when they didn't have to.

I am glad that our board of directors are showing commitment also, as all good relationships are based on mutual trust. In this case it's tripartite trust, and I think that relationship makes the group financially stronger and much more stable.

Personally I don't share your divorce lawyer view of the relationship, and trust and hope it grows stronger and stronger.
Last edited by Bangitintrnet on November 10th, 2021, 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

George Street-Bridge wrote: November 10th, 2021, 9:41 am Discounting your typically cracked second para, pretty obviously the domestic landlord also has a choice of tenants which a stadium owner doesn't. Newport RFC having failed - without which we wouldn't have had a sniff of a share - County are the only conceivable sharer.
Okay George I'll try one last time.

The two major sporting teams in Newport are County and Dragons.

Let's reverse their positions.

In 1989 the rugby went bust. A reformed rugby club has dragged it's way up to the fourth tier of British Rugby.

Meanwhile Newport County have been just about surviving in the Premier League. They built a huge Stand at the revamped Somerton Park, which has caused a financial hit and in truth County have been glad of the extra money the rent from the rugby has brought in.

However the directors of Newport County in league with the Football Association actually know what their doing. (Bit of a stretch from reality but you get my point.) and see that the rugby a) have no choice but to play at Somerton Park and b) made a bit of money from a good Cup run. As the rugby are in direct competition County do you think County would hesitate to up the rent?

Secondly. County's fortunes improve. It looks as though we'll qualify for European Championship, if we can win our last two games. Unfortunately our game v a bunch of well known cloggers, Cardiff City I shouldn't wonder, is to be played the day after Dragons intend to tear up our pitch v Leinster. Normally we'd stuff Cardiff with our free flowing football but on a cow meadow the Cardiff cloggers will probably get the point they need to avoid relegation. Worse our last game will need to be moved as Dragons have primacy of fixture. Which displeases the FA who may take away our European place regardless.

I think in those circumstances we would say goodbye to the rugby. Why do you think, in those circumstances the rugby won't do the same to us?

Stan A. Einstein wrote: November 10th, 2021, 10:39 am
George Street-Bridge wrote: November 10th, 2021, 9:41 am Discounting your typically cracked second para, pretty obviously the domestic landlord also has a choice of tenants which a stadium owner doesn't. Newport RFC having failed - without which we wouldn't have had a sniff of a share - County are the only conceivable sharer.
Okay George I'll try one last time.

The two major sporting teams in Newport are County and Dragons.

Let's reverse their positions.

In 1989 the rugby went bust. A reformed rugby club has dragged it's way up to the fourth tier of British Rugby.

Meanwhile Newport County have been just about surviving in the Premier League. They built a huge Stand at the revamped Somerton Park, which has caused a financial hit and in truth County have been glad of the extra money the rent from the rugby has brought in.

However the directors of Newport County in league with the Football Association actually know what their doing. (Bit of a stretch from reality but you get my point.) and see that the rugby a) have no choice but to play at Somerton Park and b) made a bit of money from a good Cup run. As the rugby are in direct competition County do you think County would hesitate to up the rent?

Secondly. County's fortunes improve. It looks as though we'll qualify for European Championship, if we can win our last two games. Unfortunately our game v a bunch of well known cloggers, Cardiff City I shouldn't wonder, is to be played the day after Dragons intend to tear up our pitch v Leinster. Normally we'd stuff Cardiff with our free flowing football but on a cow meadow the Cardiff cloggers will probably get the point they need to avoid relegation. Worse our last game will need to be moved as Dragons have primacy of fixture. Which displeases the FA who may take away our European place regardless.

I think in those circumstances we would say goodbye to the rugby. Why do you think, in those circumstances the rugby won't do the same to us?
When are you going to escape from fantasy land?
And why would we say goodbye to the rugby when it is the tripartite that is financially strong as a group?

Taunton Iron Cider wrote: November 10th, 2021, 9:51 am
In this particular case the landlord does have a choice, and probably their preferred one of developing the site for housing.
When planning is consented for a linked development, IE that the ground development costs are linked to developing the adjacent cabbage patch, that sets a planning president.
The fact that that planning application has now lapsed, doesn't detract from the existing president.
Therefore any future planning granted for the site will have to show the same link to stand any chance of gaining consent.
Notwithstanding that link, the site is not the most desirable anyway, as it is extremely difficult and costly to develop.

Stan A. Einstein wrote: November 10th, 2021, 10:39 am
Okay George I'll try one last time. The two major sporting teams in Newport are County and Dragons. Let's reverse their positions. In 1989 the rugby went bust etc etc etc etc. I think in those circumstances we would say goodbye to the rugby. Why do you think, in those circumstances the rugby won't do the same to us?
Tell you what. Let's shelve fantasies based on things that didn't happen 30-plus years and stick to the real world in 2021.

Blackandamber wrote: November 10th, 2021, 11:14 am Hello is there anybody there? Is there anybody there? Is this a private conversation or can anyone join in?
Please join in.

Seriously I am genuinely interested in what you and anyone else who has an opinion wishes to say. My views are only that, my views. I could be wrong. If I am wrong I would like to have my mind changed. I'm afraid the insults of the three amigos won't do but some structured argument might.

As importantly even those who share my views might want to develop them in ways I have not thought of. Please don't be put off by those who can only hurl vitriol. They simply don't really matter.

Stan A. Einstein wrote: November 10th, 2021, 11:22 am
Blackandamber wrote: November 10th, 2021, 11:14 am Hello is there anybody there? Is there anybody there? Is this a private conversation or can anyone join in?
Please join in.

Seriously I am genuinely interested in what you and anyone else who has an opinion wishes to say. My views are only that, my views. I could be wrong. If I am wrong I would like to have my mind changed. I'm afraid the insults of the three amigos won't do but some structured argument might.

As importantly even those who share my views might want to develop them in ways I have not thought of. Please don't be put off by those who can only hurl vitriol. They simply don't really matter.
Please can you highlight the vitriol that has been hurled in your direction sir.

Disagreeing with a post is in fact healthy debate.

Insulting those that you are debating with however, doesn't help your case, and I will continue to call you out for what you are. An Ugly foreign troll.

Best regards

The White, Anglo Saxon, Protestant, or should that be The White, Celtic, Agnostic. ( I apologize to those that haven't read his outbursts on the Everything Else board).

The only real concern for me is that we can potentially be milked by the RUGBY as we have little in the way of options in terms of locations to play home games in Newport. I'm not party to the finances involved but if we left RP then the RUGBY could re-coup those losses by laying a plastic pitch and renting it out to the community just like Cardiff Arms Park / Sutton Utd etc have done in the past. Sutton anticipate a loss of revenue approx £200k this year. I would anticipate that ground staff costs would be slashed too.

faerun exile wrote: November 10th, 2021, 11:50 am The only real concern for me is that we can potentially be milked by the RUGBY as we have little in the way of options in terms of locations to play home games in Newport. I'm not party to the finances involved but if we left RP then the RUGBY could re-coup those losses by laying a plastic pitch and renting it out to the community just like Cardiff Arms Park / Sutton Utd etc have done in the past. Sutton anticipate a loss of revenue approx £200k this year. I would anticipate that ground staff costs would be slashed too.
Another point about owning your own stadium which I fear is missed. And sadly a boat which sailed for Newport County 35 years ago.

When Somerton Park was demolished for housing I'm sure Newport County council as it was then made a lot of money out of Somerton Park. Let us say developers decided to pay a fortune in order to develop, hotels, shops, restaurants, cinemas etc on the Newport waterfront. Suppose these developers say we will build you a 10,000 stadium on a site on the outskirts of Newport and give you say £X,000,000 into the bargain. The rugby might say well Rodney Parade is an historic site, then again so was Highbury, Maine Road, Ninian Park, Stradey Park. And you can by lots and lots of smarties with all that dosh.

What about the County?

What about the County indeed Sir.

faerun exile wrote: November 10th, 2021, 11:50 am The only real concern for me is that we can potentially be milked by the RUGBY as we have little in the way of options in terms of locations to play home games in Newport. I'm not party to the finances involved but if we left RP then the RUGBY could re-coup those losses by laying a plastic pitch and renting it out to the community just like Cardiff Arms Park / Sutton Utd etc have done in the past. Sutton anticipate a loss of revenue approx £200k this year. I would anticipate that ground staff costs would be slashed too.
All I would say to that is look at the case of Coventry City, overspent, burnt and crashed, and couldn't afford the high rental of the Ricoh. Had to move out to neighbouring Counties, and return when promotions made it viable to do so.
The Ricoh is jointly owned by a charity and the local council, who have a statutory duty to get best value from their investments.
The WRU have no such restraint, simply to make it viable and sustainable.

Stan A. Einstein wrote: November 10th, 2021, 12:14 pm
Another point about owning your own stadium which I fear is missed. And sadly a boat which sailed for Newport County 35 years ago.

When Somerton Park was demolished for housing I'm sure Newport County council as it was then made a lot of money out of Somerton Park. Let us say developers decided to pay a fortune in order to develop, hotels, shops, restaurants, cinemas etc on the Newport waterfront. Suppose these developers say we will build you a 10,000 stadium on a site on the outskirts of Newport and give you say £X,000,000 into the bargain. The rugby might say well Rodney Parade is an historic site, then again so was Highbury, Maine Road, Ninian Park, Stradey Park. And you can by lots and lots of smarties with all that dosh.

What about the County?

What about the County indeed Sir.
You may or may not have been back to Newport for some time, but the waterfront has been developed Sir.

As for smarties, come back when you can find one for us, please Sir.

Hence Hobson' s choice.

Thomas Hobson (1545–1631) ran a thriving carrier and horse rental business in Cambridge, England around the turn of the 17th century. He rented out horses, mainly to Cambridge University students, but insisted that the students took the horse nearest the stable door. The choice his customers were given was 'this or none'; quite literally, not their choice but Hobson's choice.