Re: Laurie Sheffield RIP

I remember him well. He was an old fashioned number 9 who did his national service in the parachute regiment. I think the in word at the time was bustling. He was a "bustling" centre forward. He was credited with having broken Tudor Martin's scoring record with 34 goals in a season but it was debateable whether he had. I can't remember the reason for the dispute.

Anyway R.I.P. Laurie. You were another who left me with fond memories of Somerton Park in my youth. Thank you.

RIP Laurie, one of my earliest heroes at Somerton Park, and who used to assist in coaching duties, with St. Patricks school team which I was part of in the early 60's!
I also remember him scoring an equaliser at Turf Moor V Burnley in my first ever away game watching the County, albeit we lost 1-2 in the 4th round of the FA Cup January 1964, having beaten Sheffield Wednesday 3-2 in round 3 at Somerton Park.....Great Memories.....Great Player......

I don't think Alfie Hale was sold. He disliked playing in England and had a long career in Irish football after he left County and returned to Ireland. Arguably the best striker ever to play for County. I don't think his goal per game ratio of 21 goals in only 34 appearances has ever been beaten. Maybe Telford will do it this season.

G Guest wrote: November 10th, 2021, 5:30 pm I don't think Alfie Hale was sold. He disliked playing in England and had a long career in Irish football after he left County and returned to Ireland. Arguably the best striker ever to play for County. I don't think his goal per game ratio of 21 goals in only 34 appearances has ever been beaten. Maybe Telford will do it this season.
He got a little mention in the Sligo Rovers v Waterford programme a few weeks back. Alfie is one of the top scorers in League of Ireland History, at Waterford and Cork amongst other. Played on until the early 1980's. He was sold to Waterford as he wanted to return home. I believe part of the transfer fee received was in postage stamps. Pleased to say still with us.

Very sad news about Laurie Sheffield. For those of us of a certain age our boyhood heroes are leaving us. May he rest in peace.

Bonson&Hunt wrote: November 11th, 2021, 11:20 am You can tell from my username that I saw the three of them early 60s. Ralph Hunt died in a car accident whilst with Chesterfield in 1964, Bonson passed in 1991 aged just 55, now the last of the 3 has gone. I seem to remember that Laurie was slightly overshadowed by the other 2 or did County play all 3 together?

https://www.doncasterfreepress.co.uk/ne ... 82-3452052
Unless I'm very much mistaken they played all 3 together. Two full backs, centre half, 2 wing backs, 2 wingers, inside left, inside right and centre forward in a 2-3-5 formation.

Just looked on Wikipedia. On 26th August 1963 the County won 5-2 at Bradford Park Avenue. Scorers Sheffield 3, Bonson and Hunt.

G Guest wrote: November 10th, 2021, 1:57 pm I remember him well. He was an old fashioned number 9 who did his national service in the parachute regiment. I think the in word at the time was bustling. He was a "bustling" centre forward. He was credited with having broken Tudor Martin's scoring record with 34 goals in a season but it was debateable whether he had. I can't remember the reason for the dispute.

Anyway R.I.P. Laurie. You were another who left me with fond memories of Somerton Park in my youth. Thank you.
Reading this takes me back to 1965 I worked at STEWART and LLOYDS and Tudor Martin worked there lovely old bloke.

Not a bad trio eh? Saw the odd game when I wasn’t playing myself, we had some great strikers in those days and the football was really entertaining. I loved 2-3-5, can you imagine what a heart attack that would give a manager these days? In reality though, those who remember would know it wasn’t strictly true with inside forwards dropping and even deep lying centre-forwards - it was never simple!