Re: Green County?

Wonder if a holiday transfers like bus service would be viable / desirable wherein buses could be laid on to stop at required destinations based on pre-booked locations requested by service-users in generalised directions (Cwmbran / Pontypool. Rogerstone / Risca / Crosskeys. Caldicot / Magor / Langstone / Llanwern)

I think we would need some sort of fan-based census to establish if there would be any hunger or demand for any of these proposed services and where do fans currently travel from to see if we could use such a resource effectively.

I think the problem is duplication with public services, being mindful of the green agenda here, which is the driving force.
If Fflecsi buses can be linked between areas, or if the Newport service is allowed to run further afield, then there wouldn't be duplication costs/green issues.
Furthermore, if a car sharing could be combined with Fflecsi Bus services, IE a park and ride scheme from Newport outskirts, then everyone is a winner 👍

Jack wrote: November 11th, 2021, 5:14 pm Wonder if a holiday transfers like bus service would be viable / desirable wherein buses could be laid on to stop at required destinations based on pre-booked locations requested by service-users in generalised directions (Cwmbran / Pontypool. Rogerstone / Risca / Crosskeys. Caldicot / Magor / Langstone / Llanwern)

I think we would need some sort of fan-based census to establish if there would be any hunger or demand for any of these proposed services and where do fans currently travel from to see if we could use such a resource effectively.
I haven't seen one idea which I don't think has potential both to enhance a green agenda and/or increase potential revenue for the club.

What would be ideal would be if Newport County AFC engaged with the supporters. Ultimately it is a decision for the directors of Newport County. You, me or anybody else will not agree with every decision. Being human the directors of Newport County will get some decisions wrong. However the more engagement there is, the better.

One final point. Every idea should be looked at. They are not mutually exclusive. Car share is not the enemy of chartered busses is not the enemy of public transport. Message boards and advertisements in programmes are not the enemy of mobile phone apps.

All good ideas but I think we need to separate the car sharing scheme from the bus issue. The bus issue is very important (electric vehicles especially) but to be honest I have not given that a great deal of thought as I think the car sharing issue could be better. As stated we don’t want to duplicate services and there is more carbon reduction to be gained from car sharing than bus info’ I think.

My idea for car sharing was this:

An app that would offer the opportunity for all County fans (whether inside or outside the flexi bus service area) to share travel to RP and also away games.
This app would need to reach out to fans who do not attend because of travel issues but would attend if it was sorted. Bertie B springs to mind.
As Jack mentioned, fan engagement would be paramount to get their view on whether they would use the service. This would probably need to be done with hand outs at games, social media and club announcements.
The app would probably need to be financed by advertisements as it has been pointed out to me that people would probably not pay to register or pay to download the app.
As I mentioned previously, it takes a massive effort to get up and running with some initial cost, but, if we had the app licensed, the potential income from licence rental to other clubs is enormous.
I can’t find any evidence of other clubs running a unique club car share scheme although liftshare, Kinto and bla bla car do offer services but they are not unique to football. The nearest I can find is that Aston Villa run a car pool for players to share transport. I find it quite alarming that this idea has not been developed already.

The person who is looking into the prospect is a major software developer and a County fan and he says it is viable. Lots of work ahead though if it is ‘workable’. Fingers crossed.

I have always thought that solar panels are the best way to use renewable energy both at home and in the industrial/commercial setting. However, they are cumbersome, take up space and need to be set up correctly to get the maximum benefit from the sun. Still good though.

I have today found out that Swansea University had designed and built flexible and malleable solar panels. They can go on the top and on the sides of buildings and look much better. They have the facility at the site to manufacture them and they run them off on machines like printing paper. Superb. They are trialling the idea all over the world. Their whole renewables facility runs on solar power and they even charge the University electric cars off it.

I hope the Swans are watching. It would be great if they collaborated with the University to get panels installed on the Liberty stadium. What a coup.

The panels themselves are only part of the solution. These new ones sound a good idea, but it possibly a little while before they are manufactured on a production scale.

Think of the PV panels as mini power stations. They have to be connected to a part of the network that can take the load (as they are not supplying a massive battery). The load needs to be used at the time that it is produced, if that makes sense.

At Rodney Parade there is a major substation adjacent, and while that is helpful, unfortunately it is not always the point that juice is required into the network.

I would hope that if the North and South terraces are ever roofed, that PV panels could be part of the specification.

They don’t always have to be connected to the network, although a connection to a load is advantageous. For instance, Arsenal have a battery system in the stadium and this provides all the power required on match day. All comes from solar.

I have a much, much smaller system at home. My x2 125 watts solar panels run via a solar power controller, on to a battery which feeds an inverter. I get instantaneous solar power for my usb hub from which I power all my family phones and iPads. I also get stored electricity from the 120Amphr battery which I use at any time to charge up domestic equipment and garden equipment. This is off the grid/network as I don’t have the readies for that. Easy Peasy to install.

As batteries are expensive, and the amount required substantial, I'm not sure how practical it is to scale up to stadium size, without an Arsenal size budget.

I do know however that locally, old electric car batteries are being re-used as PV storage, in people's garages. So maybe one day, when Newport electric bus battery packs require a second use perhaps.

Bangitintrnet wrote: November 14th, 2021, 5:26 pm As batteries are expensive, and the amount required substantial, I'm not sure how practical it is to scale up to stadium size, without an Arsenal size budget.

I do know however that locally, old electric car batteries are being re-used as PV storage, in people's garages. So maybe one day, when Newport electric bus battery packs require a second use perhaps.
I agree, we don’t have the financial clout. That’s why I initially suggested that I hope that Swansea are in talks with the University to get on board with their solar panel initiative.

Two Archimedes screw turbines on a weir in Reading have recently started generating and power the Thames Lido pool and restaurant with any surplus to go to the grid. Cost just over £1m but eventually it will be pure profit.

The potential for turbines on a river with the Usk's tidal range must be huge. Maybe RP could become a renewably powered stadium?

When I read Norm post I must admit I thought it was ‘tongue in cheek’. Still do I suppose. However, as GSB has alluded to, there is a serious side.

I know nearly nothing about water wheels other than the fact I fleetingly looked into them recently as I have a small stream running behind my house. As far as I am aware, the Usk has the second highest tidal range of any river in the world. I think it is 42 ft. The potential to utilise that is enormous. The realist in me says that ‘quite rightly’ as a club we have no financial clout whatsoever to get involved in this. If there was an entrepreneur with local contacts and an interest in football and green issues, that would be the way to go forward.

If, (big if) that transpires we have a major renewable energy source 100 yards away from the club. Right on our doorstep. It wouldn’t need to be major scale, (such as a tidal lagoon), small or medium scale would probably suffice alongside the ideas of small scale nuclear power that was reported recently. Small/medium scale is good.

The banks of the Usk running past Rodney Parade are a site of special scientific interest SSSI. I understand that it is was given protected status due to migrating birds feeding off the mud banks.
Somewhat ironic that protection was granted - after the loss of the Taff mud banks in the Cardiff Bay Barrage - when a barrage scheme was then rejected for the Usk. A Hydro Electric Scheme for the Usk could have been a massive knock on benefit for Newport.

I recently drove past the transporter bridge with my Daughter - an infrequent Newport visitor- and she remarked " what a useless bridge". I laughed, but it is basically true, as it was constructed for tall mast sail ships to pass under.
How fantastic would it be if it was possible for a turbine generator to be strung underneath the Gondula.