Re: GRANDSTAND: Swindon (home) Match Day thread

Very good game, two good sides a draw would have probably been a fair result although I think we may have just edged the game and conceded two softish goals.
Team are playing well set backs happen but I am confident this team will get us into play offs, Telford is looking very confident need to extend his contract and CBR gets better each game again looking confident, Azaz and Cooper - quality.

This messing about passing back to Day has finally cost us,it has been on the cards for a while so,let’s ditch it.We actually played some great stuff today and would win most weeks playing like that.I wasn’t sure of Norman as an attacking threat but,he has really come on under JR with another assist and some dangerous crosses second half.Certainly deserved something today,gutted to lose but,encouraged by the performance.

Percy plunkett wrote: November 20th, 2021, 6:33 pm This messing about passing back to Day has finally cost us,it has been on the cards for a while so,let’s ditch it.We actually played some great stuff today and would win most weeks playing like that.I wasn’t sure of Norman as an attacking threat but,he has really come on under JR with another assist and some dangerous crosses second half.Certainly deserved something today,gutted to lose but,encouraged by the performance.
I totally agree about this because Day is clearly uncomfortable on the deck. The answer though instead of changing our playing style is to change goalkeepers. Townsend is quite happy playing out from the back.
As I’m writing this I just witnessed Arsenal conceding their second to Liverpool by buggering about at the back, you can only do it with the right personnel.

I'm normally a bit grumpy at home when we get beaten but not tonight. I thought that there were a lot of positives and we were unlucky not to come away with 3 points, a sentiment echoed on the Swindon forum by many of their fans. We often just wanted to take that extra touch or look for that bit of space in front of goal and had a lot of shots blocked.
I will be glad to have Wilmott back in the team and would bring back Lewis as Haynes has lost his mojo a bit, on his day though he is a great left back.
Will there be sanctions against Swindon for the flare and /or pitch invader (or is the last one due to our stewards)?

As stated, a Very Good game, with the outcome decided by two poor mistakes! Swindon were a very good side indeed, and will undoubtedly be in the automatic promotion positions on that performance....Joe Day made a couple of outstanding saves, but as seen, made a crucial error on the deck! Ed Upson, whilst a very good footballer should have prevented the run from Payne for the winner, alas whilst it wasn't to be there were some very good performances, and whilst Dom Telford and Courtney Baker-Richardson were well marshalled by the Swindon defence, I was impressed by Ollie Cooper and Finn Azaz, and moreover Cameron Norman!
Disappointed not to have got anything from today, and whilst there are no easy games in league 2, hope our returns from Crawley an Colchester are somewhat better!

Some good football played by both sides.
Azaz looked good.
Swindon upped the tempo especially when Williams came on.
Joe Day really does need to work on his kicking. His kicking was dreadful when he last played for us, it has got better but not much.
That was an awful pass out which resulted in the corner and goal.
Some of his kicks from hand were't much better, one sliced off into the Hazel Stand.
Saying that he did make a couple of nice saves.
Upson was caught caught for speed when picked off, which resulted in the final goal.
Shame because I thought we deserved a point.

I’m not trying to apportion blame here because Swindon were a good side, both teams played well and the result could have gone either way albeit they had an international sub to add to the fray. However I couldn’t understand Flynn resigning Joe Day. Now don’t get me wrong, he’s a lovely chap and a good goalkeeper but ( here it comes ) he’s just not very good with the ball at his feet and at distribution. We had changed our playing style in his absence and had two goalkeepers who suited that style. Day’s recruitment made no sense.

lowandhard wrote: November 21st, 2021, 12:52 pm I’m not trying to apportion blame here because Swindon were a good side, both teams played well and the result could have gone either way albeit they had an international sub to add to the fray. However I couldn’t understand Flynn resigning Joe Day. Now don’t get me wrong, he’s a lovely chap and a good goalkeeper but ( here it comes ) he’s just not very good with the ball at his feet and at distribution. We had changed our playing style in his absence and had two goalkeepers who suited that style. Day’s recruitment made no sense.
Afternoon Mike I think the best thing to do would be to get him to do extra training with the outfield players work on his foot work .

Or stop farting around a at goalkicks and launch it up field

BertieB wrote: November 21st, 2021, 3:12 pm I,,,,,,,,,,, Joe Day is NOT our best goalkeeper in my opinion but he seems to be favoured every game, but even after he had failed in Cardiff back he comes and gains favour with County I cant understand why?? Bob Bassett
Bit harsh. He was never going there to be the number 1.

He's 31 now. No amount of kicking practise in training is going to change his kicking style, that's been set in stone for the best part of his career.

Robbie could be back for Tuesday and Benno in squad.JR did hint at a chance of tweaking the team with another two games in six days.I know he wasn’t on long enough to make a difference but,Abraham doesn’t do much for the team,time to give Greenidge that sub spot.He is slow so don’t expect him to run the channels but,play him around the D and play balls into him,get to the byline and see him attack some decent crosses.He is a big lump so has to be worth a go.