Re: Grandstand: Newport v Harrogate Town (Home) Behind Closed Doors))

Justanordinaryfan wrote: January 16th, 2022, 11:49 am
OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote: January 15th, 2022, 8:58 pm Refreshing to see a game without a succession of players throwing themselves to the ground to deceive the ref; rolling round feigning injury; or stealing 20 yards at throw-ins. Overall well done ref. Especially for having the fortitude to book the Harrogate player for diving.
Still didn't agree with Coopers booking though.

Think Coopers yellow was for an accumulation of fouls ? Harrogate had pointed this out to the ref moments before when one of theirs was booked.

I appreciate that, but am of the opinion his yellow wasn't a foul, but shoulder to shoulder and the Harrogate player threw himself to the ground in front of Cooper, contrary to the laws of physics, as a result of contact between them.

George Street-Bridge wrote: January 15th, 2022, 7:28 pm
CBR just too casual and slashing at that shot in the first half when Telford had a tap-in if he'd passed was criminal. He just isn't as good a footballer as he thinks he is. That shoulder injury - he hasn't, has he?
Bit of hyperbole there, GSB ("criminal") ? All strikers are guilty of doing that at times. He noticeably held back for the ball to go on to Telford for our 3rd goal. But I did enjoy your joke about the shoulder injury. Personally I could get used to routine 4-0 County wins and I'm not even a betting man!

OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote: January 16th, 2022, 11:55 am
Justanordinaryfan wrote: January 16th, 2022, 11:49 am
OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote: January 15th, 2022, 8:58 pm Refreshing to see a game without a succession of players throwing themselves to the ground to deceive the ref; rolling round feigning injury; or stealing 20 yards at throw-ins. Overall well done ref. Especially for having the fortitude to book the Harrogate player for diving.
Still didn't agree with Coopers booking though.

Think Coopers yellow was for an accumulation of fouls ? Harrogate had pointed this out to the ref moments before when one of theirs was booked.

I appreciate that, but am of the opinion his yellow wasn't a foul, but shoulder to shoulder and the Harrogate player threw himself to the ground in front of Cooper, contrary to the laws of physics, as a result of contact between them.
Interesting how we all see things differently …. Actually thought the Harrogate was unlucky to be carded for his supposed dive …. I watched it back several and was still unsure about it … very surprised they didn’t make more of the appeal tbh.

OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote: January 17th, 2022, 11:51 am
UPTHEPORT wrote: January 17th, 2022, 10:01 am He put his leg out to get a pen the ref was spot on
Although the ifollow angle wasn't the best it did seem to me that the Harrogate player initiated what minimal contact there was.
Like I said …..funny how we see things differently …. That’s why being a ref is so hard ? …. Don’t you agree UTP ?

Justanordinaryfan wrote: January 17th, 2022, 4:06 pm
UPTHEPORT wrote: January 17th, 2022, 10:01 am He put his leg out to get a pen the ref was spot on
Although the ifollow angle wasn't the best it did seem to me that the Harrogate player initiated what minimal contact there was.
Like I said …..funny how we see things differently …. That’s why being a ref is so hard ? …. Don’t you agree UTP ?
It is the sad thing is players including our own con referees it's one part of the game I hate but on the other hand if we get a pen because of it I'm first to cheer
So basically it's come to if we get them great but if it happens to us you just got to live with it

Who'd be a ref! BTW he had a very good game in my opinion I'd go as far as give him a 9

UPTHEPORT wrote: January 17th, 2022, 4:25 pm
Justanordinaryfan wrote: January 17th, 2022, 4:06 pm
It is the sad thing is players including our own con referees it's one part of the game I hate but on the other hand if we get a pen because of it I'm first to cheer
So basically it's come to if we get them great but if it happens to us you just got to live with it

Who'd be a ref! BTW he had a very good game in my opinion I'd go as far as give him a 9
Agree that refing is an almost impossible job, and despite disagreeing with Coopers yellow thought the ref was extremely good. Would agree with your score of 9.

UPTHEPORT wrote: January 17th, 2022, 4:25 pm

Surely not Jim. I read this board frequently. Week in week out I am told that our fans that our players are constantly being kicked, tripped, pushed and pulled. Also that opposition players do nothing but attempt to con referees by diving at every opportunity.

Surely these County fans can't all be wrong? :grin: