Not 'appy

Is anyone else miffed at the proliferation of apps for this that and the other especially when ordering stuff in pubs & restaurants? - its almost like 'funk off and use the app' – ‘get the app’ - I don’t want an extra app on my phone which risks viruses and all sorts of security/privacy issues and take ages of faffing around – I just want a funking coffee! – not many come on here but any hospitality industry people take note we just want to order something not ‘download an app’ – fine have apps but have paper menus too – ultimately apps make life easier for the venue not necessarily the customer - right rant over…

*the ‘because covid’ thing doesn’t wash because its not surface transmissible

Re: Not 'appy

UPTHEPORT wrote: January 14th, 2022, 9:51 am I always use apps now for ordering stuff no queue just sit there job done no handling dirty cash as well

I think they are great sorry
should be a choice though - I'm a grumpy old B but even I appreciate a bit of personal interaction in a place - ordering on the app I may as well do just eat at home! and any place which is app only and then the staff want a tip - jeff right off! I've done most of the work!!! I'm not a luddite btw and work with tech just in a hospitality setting I want some...well actual hospitality and not - 'don't talk to me - use the app' which is the stance I've had in a few places and have just walked away.

I just think at the moment they are safer the less human contact the better
In work we now have an app all our work now comes through the app ie patient moves etc it's very efficient no having to listen to radios to get your jobs where most of the time you cant understand the other person

Also as regards app safety I've got security which I pay for had no issues touch wood

UPTHEPORT wrote: January 14th, 2022, 10:56 am I just think at the moment they are safer the less human contact the better
In work we now have an app all our work now comes through the app ie patient moves etc it's very efficient no having to listen to radios to get your jobs where most of the time you cant understand the other person

Also as regards app safety I've got security which I pay for had no issues touch wood
To stop the spread yes to an extent but that would have applied to flu or norovirus, etc and we did not have the 'apps' foisted on us then even though the technology was there - and if anyone is that scared of covid (for however credible & sincere or otherwise reasons) then they should be staying at home frankly (not a dig at you because you seem rational and not a pant wetter but some people are). Apps have their uses and can form part of an offering but should not be de facto 'compulsory'...

CathedralCounty wrote: January 14th, 2022, 11:03 am
UPTHEPORT wrote: January 14th, 2022, 10:56 am I just think at the moment they are safer the less human contact the better

To stop the spread yes to an extent but that would have applied to flu or norovirus, etc and we did not have the 'apps' foisted on us then even though the technology was there - and if anyone is that scared of covid (for however credible & sincere or otherwise reasons) then they should be staying at home frankly (not a dig at you because you seem rational and not a pant wetter but some people are). Apps have their uses and can form part of an offering but should not be de facto 'compulsory'...
Agree with your sentiments on this. As with paying by cash instead of card there still has to an alternative. Although I do have some apps, my experiences in recent months include 3 occasions when I went to use them to be told the technology wasn't working.

Spot on....absolute pain.
My local 'spoons is a prime contender for all things terrible.(acknowledging the fact that if it was infested with staff and opulent in design ,the beer would be more expensive)
So.I go to the bar ,no one else ,one behind bar stacking glasses and another paying lip service to a screen going beep and scuttling off to satisfy an app order..... "Who's next"?...clearly a difficult decision as I'm the only one there...Pint of Shipyard please says i...." £2-55 please". Yes I know that ,can you start pouring it please". FFS I don't go into Co Op and pay first for a loaf of bread.
Relax with pint.....HOW CAN YOU RELAX with that fecking beeping going on all the time?
As for interaction with a member of staff.....the only chance to get served again is go BEEP...
So NO I too am not appy
If people looked up from their phones now and then the art of conversation might surface again

mad norm wrote: January 14th, 2022, 5:01 pm Spot on....absolute pain.
My local 'spoons is a prime contender for all things terrible.(acknowledging the fact that if it was infested with staff and opulent in design ,the beer would be more expensive)
So.I go to the bar ,no one else ,one behind bar stacking glasses and another paying lip service to a screen going beep and scuttling off to satisfy an app order..... "Who's next"?...clearly a difficult decision as I'm the only one there...Pint of Shipyard please says i...." £2-55 please". Yes I know that ,can you start pouring it please". FFS I don't go into Co Op and pay first for a loaf of bread.
Relax with pint.....HOW CAN YOU RELAX with that fecking beeping going on all the time?
As for interaction with a member of staff.....the only chance to get served again is go BEEP...
So NO I too am not appy
If people looked up from their phones now and then the art of conversation might surface again
TBF I find Whether’s to be OK (no frills does what it says on the tin) and haven’t been made to feel like a pariah for not using the app - suppose varies from branch to branch but guess they are used to dealing with older/less tech savvy or in my case miserable customers? I only go in for breakfast now and again and rarely in the evenings and don’t really go in for a ‘pint’ as such – usually just for a coffee and breakfast to read my weekend paper (I’m only in my 40’s but sound like a right old git!)! not my nearest branch but Maindee one is usually pretty good…and one thing I would say is they all have very clean bogs!

Aldi now opening no till shop looking like the way forward you get a special app for which you have an account
It's not rocket science at present you fill up your trolley you empty your trolley you then refill your trolley you then empty your trolley again into your car FFS !

You've got to admit we've been doing shopping all wrong