arrest of campaigner Jennifer Swayne - sinister/unjust?!

Whatever ones views on trans issues - the arrest of campaigner Jennifer Swayne (who happens to be disabled which might have swayed the police away from hauling her and her mobility scooter down the ‘nick’ or at least to have acted a little less enthusiastically) https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-60161666 appears to be at best misguided and overzealous at worst a gross injustice not to mention the cost of this operation/investigation! - its not as if Newport/Gwent does not have plenty of FAR more serious issues than someone putting up a few stickers! Next time the chief constable moans about lack of officers/funds on BBC Wales I’ll be spitting my overpriced coffee out at the hypocrisy of it!

Re: arrest of campaigner Jennifer Swayne - sinister/unjust?!

UPTHEPORT wrote: January 31st, 2022, 4:28 pm Did you read the part sharp objects found behind posters? Sounds to me that's to hurt someone taking them down

Sorry if that's true then she deserves the full force of the law
AH! OK well if that is true and she was responsible then yes is dodgy on her part and I agree with you and I suppose she had to at least be questioned about it - I bow to others on here on that.

For clarity I have no irons in the fire on her particular beef and don't necessarily support what she believes in, just her right (peacefully and without the alleged sharp objects) to make her point.

Two points.

The Police and Criminal Evidence Act (1984) codifies the police powers of arrest. An arrest therefore is either legal or it is not. I have no idea on the facts in the public domain whether or not this person was legally arrested or not. And therefore can't comment on this specific case.

However as a general principl. If an arrest is unlawful then a fully ambulant, white, heterosexual man will have legal redress. If an arrest is lawful then a black, lesbian in a wheelchair should be arrested.

Stan A. Einstein wrote: February 1st, 2022, 1:19 pm Two points.

The Police and Criminal Evidence Act (1984) codifies the police powers of arrest. An arrest therefore is either legal or it is not. I have no idea on the facts in the public domain whether or not this person was legally arrested or not. And therefore can't comment on this specific case.

However as a general principl. If an arrest is unlawful then a fully ambulant, white, heterosexual man will have legal redress. If an arrest is lawful then a black, lesbian in a wheelchair should be arrested.
I'm not a reactionary and am a very much of the 'left' but nowadays would say the opposite is true - police go out of their way NOT to arrest any minority groups - see the stark difference between how the BLM protests and statue pulls down were [not] policed and the brutality meted out to lockdown protesters (I have no beef or truck with either groups btw just an observation)

https://www.spiked-online.com/2020/09/2 ... gree-with/