Keto diet.

I'm 2 weeks in to the Keto diet (as little to no carbs as you can manage) and lost a stone (started at 17.8). I recommend it if you're looking to make a bit of a change. My sleep is so much better and I'm starting to feel less like a disgusting fat bstrd.

Check with your GP (obvs) before doing a drastic change but it's working for me so far. The good thing I find about Keto is that you can eat what you like (within reason) of certain types of foods.

Missing beer though. Would happily kill all my family for a pint.

Re: Keto diet.

Hi Chepstow.

I’m also on the Keto diet* and have found it to be brilliant for immediate weight loss, but more importantly for forcing me into better eating and (ahem) toilet habits. Like you, my sleeping pattern is so much better, even if I do spend 8hrs a night dreaming of pies!

It suits me perfectly - I do a lot of walking and running so having a low-carb diet means it burns off any fat quicker. Word of warning though - it doesn’t suit everyone and you need to be physically active 5-7 days a week or it can be a dangerous diet as your body can object to continually going in/out of a state of ketosis.

Down sides - not being able to eat bread. I make my own low-carb bread once a week but it’s damned expensive to buy the mix, and I end up paying £3-4 just for a few bread rolls. The cost of other low-carb foods are generally expensive also. I find I typically eat a lot of bacon & eggs for breakfast, a Caesar salad or similar for tea or make something like fish, homemade Moussaka and salad to go with it. Unsweetened almond milk to go in my cuppa is just as good as regular milk.

* It’s perhaps not advisable but I have 2-3 ‘cheat days’ where I will drink beer or eat a sneaky portion of chips. I do find the whole Keto diet so much easier in the summer when salads are fine, but in the winter months I just want something warm and heartening to eat.

I recommend the Carb Manager app as a good way of keeping track of what you eat, exercise done etc.

Good luck!

Re: Keto diet.

DeePeeNCAFC wrote: March 7th, 2022, 3:51 pm Hi Chepstow.

I’m also on the Keto diet* and have found it to be brilliant for immediate weight loss, but more importantly for forcing me into better eating and (ahem) toilet habits. Like you, my sleeping pattern is so much better, even if I do spend 8hrs a night dreaming of pies!

It suits me perfectly - I do a lot of walking and running so having a low-carb diet means it burns off any fat quicker. Word of warning though - it doesn’t suit everyone and you need to be physically active 5-7 days a week or it can be a dangerous diet as your body can object to continually going in/out of a state of ketosis.

Down sides - not being able to eat bread. I make my own low-carb bread once a week but it’s damned expensive to buy the mix, and I end up paying £3-4 just for a few bread rolls. The cost of other low-carb foods are generally expensive also. I find I typically eat a lot of bacon & eggs for breakfast, a Caesar salad or similar for tea or make something like fish, homemade Moussaka and salad to go with it. Unsweetened almond milk to go in my cuppa is just as good as regular milk.

* It’s perhaps not advisable but I have 2-3 ‘cheat days’ where I will drink beer or eat a sneaky portion of chips. I do find the whole Keto diet so much easier in the summer when salads are fine, but in the winter months I just want something warm and heartening to eat.

I recommend the Carb Manager app as a good way of keeping track of what you eat, exercise done etc.

Good luck!
Thanks mate. Some really good advice there. Given me lots of food for thought (literally!). I'll try carb manager now.