Newport a good or bad place to live?

Newport is the most dangerous major town in Gwent and is the 45th safest overall out of Gwent's 117 towns, villages, and cities. The overall crime rate in Newport in 2021 was 45 crimes per 1,000 people.1 Feb 2022

Newport, Gwent Crime and Safety Statistics - CrimeRate.co.uk

Quality of life |Newport City Council

Newport offers an excellent quality of life with popular schools, beautiful scenery, and a lively sporting and entertainment scene. Investment is transforming the city centre with new housing, shops, offices, and leisure facilities. Property is affordable with house prices around 59% of the national average.

11 things people get wrong about Newport - Wales Online

Figures from the Office for National Statistics last year showed that overall crime in Newport is above the average for England and Wales. You can read where the most and least crimes are committed in the city here. 9th Sept 2021

What is the best area to live in Newport?

Bassaleg. You'll find Bassaleg about 2 miles North West of Newport, there are good schools and transport links here, which make it a desirable place to live.

The Ultimate Guide to Living and Working in Newport

Re: Newport a good or bad place to live?

Overall good - listen having studied/worked/live in a few towns and cities in the UK (grew up in Newport and came ‘back’ a few years ago) I can say Newport is not worse nor better than some of even the more 'glamorous' places – OK so I live in a middling area and not one of the rough [or posher] parts but overall I feel safe and we have some great things here like nice parks, good walks – Newport County FC of course! and plenty of sports/other organisations to participate in & well connected by road/rail/coach – we are what we are - a mid to lower range post-industrial city with all its good and bad bits among tens of others like it

CathedralCounty wrote: April 11th, 2022, 9:40 am Overall good - listen having studied/worked/live in a few towns and cities in the UK (grew up in Newport and came ‘back’ a few years ago) I can say Newport is not worse nor better than some of even the more 'glamorous' places – OK so I live in a middling area and not one of the rough [or posher] parts but overall I feel safe and we have some great things here like nice parks, good walks – Newport County FC of course! and plenty of sports/other organisations to participate in & well connected by road/rail/coach – we are what we are - a mid to lower range post-industrial city with all its good and bad bits among tens of others like it

May I ask you why do you need to be aggressive?

yourfinalanswer wrote: April 11th, 2022, 2:45 pm
CathedralCounty wrote: April 11th, 2022, 9:40 am Overall good - listen having studied/worked/live in a few towns and cities in the UK (grew up in Newport and came ‘back’ a few years ago) I can say Newport is not worse nor better than some of even the more 'glamorous' places – OK so I live in a middling area and not one of the rough [or posher] parts but overall I feel safe and we have some great things here like nice parks, good walks – Newport County FC of course! and plenty of sports/other organisations to participate in & well connected by road/rail/coach – we are what we are - a mid to lower range post-industrial city with all its good and bad bits among tens of others like it

Eh? was I being aggressive?! I’ve had some health issues this past week so perhaps I'm a little grumpy but honestly hadn’t meant to come off as aggressive – I do tend to get a bit dog with a bone when people, unintentionally or otherwise, do Newport down – trust me there are a lot worse places to live and I’ve lived in some of them!

CathedralCounty wrote: April 11th, 2022, 3:04 pm

Eh? was I being aggressive?! I’ve had some health issues this past week so perhaps I'm a little grumpy but honestly hadn’t meant to come off as aggressive – I do tend to get a bit dog with a bone when people, unintentionally or otherwise, do Newport down – trust me there are a lot worse places to live and I’ve lived in some of them!
Don't worry mate the bloke would start off in an empty room I ignore him now he's a wum

Could you please tell me where am saying that Newport is such a bad place to live?

I'm only showing good and bad points about Newport that's all.

You have given your opinion and I respect that. I'm sorry that you are feeling unwell at the moment, I wish you a speedy recovery. I am also sorry if you thought that I was being rude.

yourfinalanswer wrote: April 11th, 2022, 4:17 pm

Could you please tell me where am saying that Newport is such a bad place to live?

I'm only showing good and bad points about Newport that's all.

You have given your opinion and I respect that. I'm sorry that you are feeling unwell at the moment, I wish you a speedy recovery. I am also sorry if you thought that I was being rude.
Wasn't having a go at you but was a bit negative - my point is/was that Newport is what it is imperfect yes but it my city and tbh fed up with it being run down (not necessarily by you) - compared to [say] Plymouth or [say] Mansfield its an OK place - on a sunny day standing atop Stow Hill looking across the city and beyond to the hills you could be anywhere - if Newport were in the Coastal South West or leafy London area people would rave about it

[edit] you only have to look at the picture you posted and it looks a nice place (shot of Rodney Parade as well) - don't want to be listing all the good points and places to visit, eat, shop etc but as I say the Port is overall a nice place and genuinely upsets me when people slag it off (not saying you were doing that)...and thanks for kind words on health matters - hopefully our NHS will come good and diagnose & treat me - 90% its nowt serious so you all may have to put up with my contributions for some time yet!