Re: Cameron Norman

Stan A. Einstein wrote: May 5th, 2022, 5:58 pm
excessbee wrote: May 5th, 2022, 4:08 pm If, as you say, they stand a far better chance of dragging themselves back up, how come they haven't done so?
Stockport?

Also pause for a moment. Five years ago we nearly lost our League status. As it turned out Hartlepool went down. Hartlepool are back in League 2. Now I accept that we can never know for sure. Hand on heart though, had Mark O'Brien not scored that goal do you really believe we would have come back?

Me neither.
Well, I did as you suggested and looked at the current National League North. I found Kidderminster, York, Hereford, Southport, Darlington and Chester. None of whom have regained their league status. Hartlepool didn't drop into 'Conference North'.

excessbee wrote: May 5th, 2022, 6:59 pm
excessbee wrote: May 5th, 2022, 4:08 pm If, as you say, they stand a far better chance of dragging themselves back up, how come they haven't done so?
Stockport?

Also pause for a moment. Five years ago we nearly lost our League status. As it turned out Hartlepool went down. Hartlepool are back in League 2. Now I accept that we can never know for sure. Hand on heart though, had Mark O'Brien not scored that goal do you really believe we would have come back?

Me neither.
Well, I did as you suggested and looked at the current National League North. I found Kidderminster, York, Hereford, Southport, Darlington and Chester. None of whom have regained their league status. Hartlepool didn't drop into 'Conference North'.
Boston, Bradford, Gateshead. Not to mention others who have been there, Halifax and Stockport.

The Hartlepool point was not that they had been in National League North. I can chew gum and walk at the same time. My point was that when clubs fall out of the League they need either to regroup or they stay down. Hartlepool regrouped. Do you genuinely believe we would have done?

Stockport?

Me neither.
Stockport,Really??? :lol:
"Clubs who build a proper infrastructure, develop a sustainable youth policy"?
They have a millionaire owner who's thown crazy wages on old pro's to finish above another millionaire owned club that's doing exactly the same thing

daftasfxxx wrote: May 5th, 2022, 9:33 pm
Stockport?

Me neither.
They have a millionaire owner who's thown crazy wages on old pro's to finish above another millionaire owned club that's doing exactly the same thing
Rather than trying to prove me wrong, because let's face it Luton, Doncaster, Lincoln, Colchester, etc and I could go on have all spent time in non-league. Had it been us and not Hartlepool that went down 5 years ago, hand on heart, do you think we would now be back in League 2?

daftasfxxx wrote: May 5th, 2022, 9:33 pm
Stockport?

Me neither.
Which leads me to ask "How's Mr Scadding these days?"

You've lost me Stan, here's me thinking you were using Stockport as an example as a Club who built a proper infrastructure, developing youth etc when it boils down to money men every time, even the monkey hangers have a millionaire owner and yes Norm even us

daftasfxxx wrote: May 5th, 2022, 9:57 pm You've lost me Stan, here's me thinking you were using Stockport as an example as a Club who built a proper infrastructure, developing youth etc when it boils down to money men every time, even the monkey hangers have a millionaire owner and yes Norm even us
Forgive me.

Let us say you are entirely correct about Stockport. It doesn't alter the fact that clubs relegated from League 2 either regroup or continue to decline.

So again had we lost our League status 5 years ago do you believe that like Hartlepool we would now be in League 2?

We've turned down a bid from St Mirren for Norman. I can't understand what the appeal would be for him. Can't imagine the money would be significantly higher, it's a better standard of football if you're playing the Old Firm (working on the basis St Mirren stay in the SPL). Renfrewshire is just like Monmouthshire; there are lovely bits and hellish bits. I think we've more to fear from the likes of Salford/Swindon or dare I say the Hollywood Gogs!

Other than the big 2 up there the rest of the SPL is basically dire.
Let's not forget that Warren went there having been part of a poor Conference side that could easily have gone down.
Foley also ended up there, and as good as he was for us was no European standard player.
Bottom line is, unless Celtic or Rangers come calling then ending up in the SPL is hardly a step up.
So if a CS side is willing to risk a 6 figure gamble then perhaps we would have to consider that as beneficial for all parties

County-at-the-races wrote: May 6th, 2022, 7:54 pm Other than the big 2 up there the rest of the SPL is basically dire.
Let's not forget that Warren went there having been part of a poor Conference side that could easily have gone down.
Foley also ended up there, and as good as he was for us was no European standard player.
Bottom line is, unless Celtic or Rangers come calling then ending up in the SPL is hardly a step up.
So if a CS side is willing to risk a 6 figure gamble then perhaps we would have to consider that as beneficial for all parties
I think you are being a bit ignorant about the quality of the SPL. Rangers are in a European final and often have to battle hard to beat teams with much lower budgets. Aaron Ramsey has gone there as a supposed world class player and struggles to get in the team. Dropping down a division you havd Nicky Cadden sign for FGR from a relegation battling team and end up one of the strongest players in League Two. Also St.Mirren recently poached a manager from League One Morecambe.

Of course the SPL is weaker than the EPL but that applies to most leagues in Europe due to the excessive money floating around.

daftasfxxx wrote: May 7th, 2022, 10:39 am St Mirren are definitely league two equivalent as are most in the bottom half of the table, Celtic,Rangers probably lower prem, top half of Championship, a few others Hearts etc bottom of championship, league 1
I would say bottom of SPL would be League 1 standard. Two players have moved from my hometown club (Championship) and thrived in League Two and both gone onto League 1.

Also explains why Morecambe to St.Mirren was a step up for Stephen Robinson.