I'm backing JR and his team

Gutted I missed yesterday due to the dreaded lurgy not covid tested negative for that.

It's the first time I've missed applauding the team off at the end of a season since we came back to the football league but had I been there I would've been on my feet because we've had a decent season disappointing end but decent all the same.

I backed MF when the usual suspects were ready to throw him under the bus at the first opportunity and I'll back JR in exactly the same way.

I think we have a historic Newport first with 2 of our own managing our club in succession and that's rare anywhere in football.

MF will always be a Newport legend let's hope JR continues the progress and reaches that status.

My wish for next season is County champions and Walsall runners, they're 2 of our own why would anyone want anything different.

Re: I'm backing JR and his team

Nobody, but nobody wants anything different than our success but what we’re likely to get may be rather different. I must confess, however, that I am indifferent to Walsall’s future results unless they’re playing us when of course I hope they get stuffed. I’m not sure whether or not you are inferring that being critical of Rowberry means that you are not a Newport County supporter, I certainly hope not.

supporter wrote: May 8th, 2022, 3:11 pm Nope Longandhard I'm consistent in my comments so show equal support to both Newport lads.

I was also consistent backing MF in the bad times when the jump shippers put the boot in.

The same jump shippers are the same false bestwishers when things are going well.

I'm consistent.
Well I happen to think it’s more important to be concerned for the success of the football club than any individual and while I wish Rowberry and Flynn all the best, I hold no brief for them and would ditch either one in a heartbeat if the future of Newport County were to be in jeopardy.

I disagree, this collapse eclipses that of 1983 for me. With the exception of Azaaz it seems that every other player has gone backwards in the last 3 months.

2 wins from our last 10 at home highlights that we have clearly been found out without counteracting any of the opposition plus any changes coming far far too late to make any impact.

It seems to me that he has tried to shoehorn players into a system that he believes in, but the players either do not or are not capable or comfortable playing it.

A costly experiment when a win against Hartlepool would have seen us go second.

Alan G Bryant wrote: May 8th, 2022, 6:22 pm I disagree, this collapse eclipses that of 1983 for me. With the exception of Azaaz it seems that every other player has gone backwards in the last 3 months.

2 wins from our last 10 at home highlights that we have clearly been found out without counteracting any of the opposition plus any changes coming far far too late to make any impact.

It seems to me that he has tried to shoehorn players into a system that he believes in, but the players either do not or are not capable or comfortable playing it.

I tend to agree but being honest I really haven’t seen any signs of a process or processes let alone a Plan A and certainly no Plan B in the latter part of the season! I think Rowberry needs to look at himself as well as his playing staff. I really do think he needs a mentor like Flynn had Lennie. Learning on the job is a very precarious strategy in L2 when oblivion is very close at hand.

Alan G Bryant wrote: May 8th, 2022, 6:22 pm I disagree, this collapse eclipses that of 1983 for me. With the exception of Azaaz it seems that every other player has gone backwards in the last 3 months.

Four wins from last six away football is played home and away and our back end season form is mid table but I think this reflects the squad which over performed when Telford was on fire in front of goal.

County ranger wrote: May 8th, 2022, 8:03 pm

Four wins from last six away football is played home and away and our back end season form is mid table but I think this reflects the squad which over performed when Telford was on fire in front of goal.
It was however the same squad which previously “ over performed “ though by what benchmark?
It was after all exactly the same flute, why couldn’t Rowberry get a tune out of it despite home fans turning up in numbers to support him? Answers on a postcard.

County ranger wrote: May 8th, 2022, 8:03 pm

Agree with that. Believe we were 13th with a game in hand to several teams above us when JR took over, therefore finishing 11th we have maintained our level overall.
Of course we did reach the dizzying heights of third when Telford was 'on fire' and we had played more games than several teams just below us, thus flattering to deceive, and in my view giving false hope of promotion. I've consistently maintained and posted since JR took over that we concede far too many goals to have a chance of finishing in the top 7.
What I didn't anticipate however was our dramatic underperformances in our last 5 home games. Our course JR has to take some responsibility for that but believe the greater share of the responsibility lies with the players themselves who 'froze' under the pressure. Evidently far less so in their away performances.
I remain open-minded as to what to expect for next season. Hopefully lessons will have been learned by JR and those 12 + players who will remain.
Of course much will depend upon recruitment also.

JR could do with a little more humility and less arrogance about his processes which are clearly not working.

Personally I think he has been over promoted at this stage in his career, and ideally should have taken an assistant managers role to help in his development. Even his current No 2 is lacking in management experience, and for that reason I have advocated for sometime a need to have an experienced mentor working alongside.

We seem to have a small army of coaching staff, with an offer for Kev also now on the table. The point being, a little reorganisation could free up funds to bring in an older and wiser head, that is if JR is prepared to listen and recognise when his process is wrong!