Re: News regarding ex County players

reebok0165 wrote: May 11th, 2022, 5:48 am
flat4 wrote: May 11th, 2022, 4:15 am FA Cup hero Pádraig Amond cut by Newport

https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer ... 37477.html
Ho sad by Roweberry. Amond deserves a better send off than that.
Disgraceful, Podge deserved better. Another indication of Rowberry being a weak and ineffective manager, someone who hasn’t the courage of his convictions when delivering bad news. Had it been a face to face situation he probably would have offered him a coaching job!!

George Street-Bridge wrote: May 11th, 2022, 7:44 am He very clearly does have the courage of his convictions in delivering bad news, because he has done just that. How else is he meant to do it, summon him to the ground to give him his cards?
Yes, exactly that - JR should have met Podge at the club offices to thank him for his services, explain the reasons, ask him if he needs any help or references in his quest to find a new club. Particularly as the interview suggests Podge lives close to the ground.

I feel there is more to this though, judging by an interview Podge did at the start of the season when he was sent to Exeter. I imagine the board and MF realised he was only going to be on the periphery of the squad this year and wanted to cut his wages or renegotiate his contract and Podge, quite rightly, wouldn’t budge, so he was loaned out with Exeter picking up the tab. That’s only my guess though.

Disappointed to read this, always two sides to every story but Podge has been a good servant to us, still lives in Newport and we put him through his coaching badges so at the very least he deserves more than a 25 second phone call. I get lots of players will be in the same position but we have always until recent years had an excellent reputation with regards player relationships and welfare this now seems to have disappeared this will not bode well in terms of player recruitment either as players talk and the one thing they demand is respect. The way that this has been dealt with is in my view disrespectful. James has some very steep learning curves to climb this close season if we are not to face a relegation battle next season

owlsabout wrote: May 11th, 2022, 9:35 am Disappointed to read this, always two sides to every story but Podge has been a good servant to us, still lives in Newport and we put him through his coaching badges so at the very least he deserves more than a 25 second phone call. I get lots of players will be in the same position but we have always until recent years had an excellent reputation with regards player relationships and welfare this now seems to have disappeared this will not bode well in terms of player recruitment either as players talk and the one thing they demand is respect. The way that this has been dealt with is in my view disrespectful. James has some very steep learning curves to climb this close season if we are not to face a relegation battle next season
Sorry to see Podge go but as you said we've put him through his coaching badges that suggests to me we have more than treated fairly I expect they cost a lot of money.

The loan to Exeter City worked out well for Podge. He was part of a better team than Newport and now has an EFL promotion to his name.

We can’t hold onto players for ever but the parting with Podge is particularly painful because he played such a key part in our successes. He also played some of the best football of his career with us. Gone but certainly not forgotten.

The Irish newspaper report says he was on the verge of signing for Sligo in January but they pulled out of the deal at the last minute. As he was still under contract to County at that stage doesn't it suggest he had already been told his contract here wasn't going to be renewed? Otherwise why would he be trying to sign for another club if the club he was contracted to wasn't aware this was happening? Maybe JR had a face to face meeting with him then?

ajs wrote: May 11th, 2022, 10:58 am Flynn got rid of Podge and got Fisher, poor choice, regarding how we now treat players I have not heard Rowberry slag any of the current players off individually, uses collective terminology ie we didn't take our chances, defensive decisions poor, Flynn called them cowards
AJs (Perhaps these are your wife’s initials) or is it James Waite or even maybe Rob, whatever name you are choosing lately. The topic is not about calling players out after the game it is about being respectful to a very good pro and a good servant to our football club.

OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote: May 11th, 2022, 4:00 pm
neilcork68 wrote: May 11th, 2022, 3:55 pm Conor Washington released by Charlton
Josh Pask by Coventry...
Ryan Broome ( Newport boy )by Peterborough .

At least one will be signing for US

Which one ??

Is it Charlton?
No Old Cromwellian, I don’t think it’s Bobby Charlton, I don’t think age is on his side, not to mention his combover would keep getting in his eyes during tackles. Arguably he could still do a better job in midfield though than some we’ve had on our books in recent years.