C'mon Dagenham!

As much as I want a 'North v South derby' I really do not think I could stand the nauseating media love in if Wrexham get promoted - to channel Kevin Keegan 'I would love it' if they did not get promoted and also question how/why they have managed to secure some government funding for their stadium?

Jealous? – a little, miffed at unfair and unbalanced media love it – definitely, miffed at unfair and unbalanced attention from the ‘powers that be’ – definitely. Note I don’t go in for all this 6 finger rubbish, etc but do get a little sick in the mouth every time I hear Wrexham mentioned.

Re: C'mon Dagenham!

I have said this before but if we do play the Gogs it will not be a derby game. North v South yes, but a derby game, no. Nobody would consider it a derby game if Crewe played Swindon or Shrewsbury played Brizzle RVs. Similar geographic distance, but not a derby.

CathedralCounty wrote: May 13th, 2022, 10:16 am As much as I want a 'North v South derby' I really do not think I could stand the nauseating media love in if Wrexham get promoted - to channel Kevin Keegan 'I would love it' if they did not get promoted and also question how/why they have managed to secure some government funding for their stadium?

Jealous? – a little, miffed at unfair and unbalanced media love it – definitely, miffed at unfair and unbalanced attention from the ‘powers that be’ – definitely. Note I don’t go in for all this 6 finger rubbish, etc but do get a little sick in the mouth every time I hear Wrexham mentioned.
With You brother

I can always remember the abuse they gave my nephew who was 14 and me before play off final some of the comments where sickening

pembsexile wrote: May 13th, 2022, 10:53 am I have said this before but if we do play the Gogs it will not be a derby game. North v South yes, but a derby game, no. Nobody would consider it a derby game if Crewe played Swindon or Shrewsbury played Brizzle RVs. Similar geographic distance, but not a derby.
There is that recent rivalry though - a 'derby' may be a stretch but think they would want to get one over on us after their play off final loss (2:0 to us but in reality they never looked liked winning it) in the policing lexicon it would be a 'high profile' game - football fans have long memories, anyway lets hope it doesn't happen and they slip into the play offs and lose

UPTHEPORT wrote: May 13th, 2022, 10:57 am
CathedralCounty wrote: May 13th, 2022, 10:16 am As much as I want a 'North v South derby' I really do not think I could stand the nauseating media love in if Wrexham get promoted - to channel Kevin Keegan 'I would love it' if they did not get promoted and also question how/why they have managed to secure some government funding for their stadium?

With You brother

I can always remember the abuse they gave my nephew who was 14 and me before play off final some of the comments where sickening
And that was then imagine it now they are actually good

CathedralCounty wrote: May 13th, 2022, 10:59 am
pembsexile wrote: May 13th, 2022, 10:53 am I have said this before but if we do play the Gogs it will not be a derby game. North v South yes, but a derby game, no. Nobody would consider it a derby game if Crewe played Swindon or Shrewsbury played Brizzle RVs. Similar geographic distance, but not a derby.
There is that recent rivalry though - a 'derby' may be a stretch but think they would want to get one over on us after their play off final loss (2:0 to us but in reality they never looked liked winning it) in the policing lexicon it would be a 'high profile' game - football fans have long memories, anyway lets hope it doesn't happen and they slip into the play offs and lose
Yes, we got one over on them that day, it was brilliant. I don’t really want to play them again though. Cmon Dagenham.

Totally agree. Absolutely can't stand the Gogs. The entitlement of their fans, media bias, Hollywood owners etc etc.

CathedralCounty wrote: May 13th, 2022, 10:59 am
Don't forget our 4-0 FA Cup replay win after the drab 0-0 draw at their place.

Bonson&Hunt wrote: May 13th, 2022, 2:06 pm Agree with all above, also hate to see teams buy promotion.
I'd agree to an extent but in fairness 'Lotto Les's'* millions (well perhaps 2 million) helped us get into the league! albeit not on the level of a Wrexham, Salford, FGR or Fleetwood, etc and for all my dislike of them Wrexham are a 'proper' club and its more the media love in I find nauseating and unbearable especially given how we were ignored in our non league days (and to an extent we are still)

*Unfairly hounded out imo and his money took us into league 2 and he should be remembered as a hero

Hi Mike and greetings from a warm and humid Ireland.

I am afraid that you are wrong. I only know this courtesy of dictionary corner and the absolutely gorgeous Susie Dent.

A derby is a big match. From which we get local derby. And many people think, as I did, that the local was superfluous. It isn't. Although to be accurate and not repeat the error, Newport v Wrexham should be termed a Welsh derby.

Stan A. Einstein wrote: May 13th, 2022, 3:38 pm

I am afraid that you are wrong. I only know this courtesy of dictionary corner and the absolutely gorgeous Susie Dent.

A derby is a big match. From which we get local derby. And many people think, as I did, that the local was superfluous. It isn't. Although to be accurate and not repeat the error, Newport v Wrexham should be termed a Welsh derby.
Same as Carlisle verses Exeter should be termed as an English derby

Stan A. Einstein wrote: May 13th, 2022, 3:38 pm

Evening Brendan. Greetings from sunny Pembrokeshire.

Interesting thread this. I like the comments about other potential derby rivalries. Hull v Grimsby, the fish head (cod) derby? Anyway, enough nonsense.

I suspect that I may be on dodgy ground if I disagree with the superb wordsmith Susie Dent. However. In context, regards to football, the word derby is normally used to refer to local football rivalries. I would question whether it is superfluous. Is this what Ms Dent intended?

I would disagree with you that County v Wrexham should be termed a Welsh derby. It is certainly not local. Geography defines this game. Geography and the politics within Wales of North v South. It is a game between two Welsh teams over 100 miles apart. Sort of loses any minor glamorous inference when put like that. That is fine by me.

You never know, the superb Ms Dent may have a view. Don’t even know if she is a footie fan though.