Re: An open letter to the chair of Newport County.

George Street-Bridge wrote: May 18th, 2022, 9:56 am it's been said many times, but the reality is short of a strings-free gift not far short of eight figures we would never own our own ground. We'd be in hock to a commercial lender answerable only to shareholders. And even if we were gifted it, from day one we'd have to fight off the urge to mortgage it.
George again you are failing to engage. Nobody is talking, certainly not me of Newport County owning Rodney Parade.

To be clear. Sometimes opportunities arise. And often they arise out of adversity. For me this is one such occasion. I have often stated that it makes good sense for Dragons and County to make common cause on groundshare. Until a week ago that was far more important for County than it was for Dragons.

That situation has now changed. The future of both clubs is under threat from the WRU. My belief is that the two clubs should work together to persuade NCC to purchase Rodney Parade. And then let the stadium out to both clubs. This as I have said, in addition to helping secure the future of both codes in Newport also enhances the name of our city and in the scheme of things does so at minimal cost.

So again George whilst I'm interested in your view on what I have said, I'm not really interested in your view of something I haven't said.

Taunton Iron Cider wrote: May 18th, 2022, 9:31 am Isn’t it a League requirement to have at least a 10 year tenure, against which we currently have one year left at best?
With the unsettling news about the potential demise of the Dragons, I would be very surprised, not to say disappointed, if the Board were not already giving this issue the priority it deserves. Unfortunately for us communication remains as poor as ever.

The relevant part being appendix 3

CathedralCounty wrote: May 18th, 2022, 9:32 am My feeling is having our 'own' ground is as much a blessing as a curse - for clubs like [say] Harrogate, Sutton or Solihull (if they come up which we all hope they do!) who have organically built up from small beginnings albeit more compact and limited facilities its a different concept (not least because those traditional 'non league' [now league] clubs I feel they will never generate as big as crowds as we potentially could) but for us and our weird and wonderful travails and history my view is I'd rather rent - but off whom is the question? No doubt I'd rather be paying Newport Council (likely via leisure trust?) than the WRU - BUT do not really want that yoke of a hulking half full and frankly - 1 stand and one newish terrace apart (North terraced could do with a roof?!) - a somewhat dilapidated stadium albeit in a great location - after some teething troubles we seem to have hit a point where we rub along OK with Dragons and relations seem to be as good as they have ever been - there have been casualties and I do feel for Newport RFC a little but overall I see RP as 'home'...

So...we are not hampered by renting [off whoever] as having our own stadium means we are solely responsible for upkeep which can drag clubs down - BUT as others have said we need security of tenure which I feel we have now but in the medium to longer term perhaps not - all possibilities need exploring - including as back up a refurbished Newport stadium (which we could buy tomorrow but obv covenants would mean we'd need to retain athletics track and ultimately fund a new one elsewhere which can cost a lot - Newport Harries/Lliswerry runners [athletics clubs who currently use that venue] as well as Welsh Athletics - would rightly want guarantees on that) but by far favoured option is to stay at RP for the next several decades and work together with whoever might own/rent it along with us to gradually improve - ultimately within the next 15-20 years a new 6-8000 capacity stadium on the RP site/elsewhere [if RP retain Bisley and build new stand on other 3 sides retraining at least 1 terrace - similar to Burton's or Fleetwood's grounds] for County and the senior [regional or club] in the city to share which in a relatively small and economically challenged city makes sense for all parties
The issue I am raising follows on from the post on another thread posted by Amberexile. An article about Stockport County in part dealt with how paying a huge rent to a private owner of Edgeley Park helped them towards bankruptcy whilst the stadium being bought by the local council helped in part their recovery.

There is an opportunity now to impress upon the local authority that it is the best interest the Dragons, Newport County and the city of Newport generally that Newport City Council buy Rodney Parade and guarantee it's future as a stadium fit for our great home town and the 21st century.

If we try we might fail. If we don't try we will fail. Sometimes things really are that simple.

Stan A. Einstein wrote: May 18th, 2022, 10:13 am
George Street-Bridge wrote: May 18th, 2022, 9:56 am it's been said many times, but the reality is short of a strings-free gift not far short of eight figures we would never own our own ground. We'd be in hock to a commercial lender answerable only to shareholders. And even if we were gifted it, from day one we'd have to fight off the urge to mortgage it.
George again you are failing to engage. Nobody is talking, certainly not me of Newport County owning Rodney Parade.

To be clear. Sometimes opportunities arise. And often they arise out of adversity. For me this is one such occasion. I have often stated that it makes good sense for Dragons and County to make common cause on groundshare. Until a week ago that was far more important for County than it was for Dragons.

That situation has now changed. The future of both clubs is under threat from the WRU. My belief is that the two clubs should work together to persuade NCC to purchase Rodney Parade. And then let the stadium out to both clubs. This as I have said, in addition to helping secure the future of both codes in Newport also enhances the name of our city and in the scheme of things does so at minimal cost.

So again George whilst I'm interested in your view on what I have said, I'm not really interested in your view of something I haven't said.
An open letter, on forum for Newport County fans! that is so full of assumptions it is unbelievable.

First that a Council that has massive backlogs in essential services due to covid, will somehow prioritise non essential spending on behalf of who exactly?

The WRU have invested in the viability of the facilities, but at the same time have loaded the Dragon's with a £5 million debt due to Covid.

IF and its a massive assumption, they now wish to sell, that's the original cost to the WRU of write offs ect, plus the new debt. That will require around £9 million.

Even if you are requesting that the Council just take a majority holding in RP, then you require someone with the financial ability to continue to make the facility viable, and that includes if the Dragon's are not at RP, as you have now introduced that possibility in your letter.

The Liberty Stadium in Swansea, the council have now handed operational responsibility to Swansea City FC who have the financial ability and desire to develop the facilities to reap the rewards of doing so.

Newport City Council have handed operational responsibility of Spytty Stadium to Newport Live, along with other sporting facilities. Like Council housing that was bereft of funding, was taken on by housing associations.

I could go on and on, but as always it's pointless with you, as you simply aren't interested in anything that doesn't align with promoting your own personal view, as you don't represent anyone.

A number of points.

Firstly if we are to have a reasoned discussion it is probably best if needless insults such as those in your final paragraph are best left out don't you think?

Turning to the substantive part of your post you raise two main points. If I have understood you correctly yhey are as follows. Firstly that it is not likely that the WRU would sell and secondly that the local authority have other priorities. I think you are wrong.

You are correct that the WRU may have no interest in selling Rodney Parade. Although the WRU have expressed this is not the case and you have yourself pointed out the difficulties for the WRU selling the land for development. But that is a side issue. By way of analogy I walk into a bar. I set eyes upon the most beautiful woman. I walk over to her and ask her if I might have the pleasure of her company at dinner. Of course she might she might rebuff me. And if she does I dine alone. If I don't ask her, I dine alone. I've lost nothing have I? Then again this Venus made flesh might say yes. In terms my friend there is nothing wrong with asking for anything.

Your second limb is in my view utterly ill conceived. Of course there are other priorities, there always are. But follow through the logic. Are we never to spend money on entertainment? Schools, hospitals etc always need more money. Should local authorities close down every civic amenity and should the money saved by not having leisure centres all be put into health or education? To paraphrase W.H.Davies, a poor life this, if full of care, we have no court for a game of squash.
And of course your argument entirely misses the point of the revenues paid by way of rent, and the ancillary benefits that come with successful sporting teams.

Stan A. Einstein wrote: May 18th, 2022, 11:09 am A number of points.

Firstly if we are to have a reasoned discussion it is probably best if needless insults such as those in your final paragraph are best left out don't you think?

Turning to the substantive part of your post you raise two main points. If I have understood you correctly yhey are as follows. Firstly that it is not likely that the WRU would sell and secondly that the local authority have other priorities. I think you are wrong.

You are correct that the WRU may have no interest in selling Rodney Parade. Although the WRU have expressed this is not the case and you have yourself pointed out the difficulties for the WRU selling the land for development. But that is a side issue. By way of analogy I walk into a bar. I set eyes upon the most beautiful woman. I walk over to her and ask her if I might have the pleasure of her company at dinner. Of course she might she might rebuff me. And if she does I dine alone. If I don't ask her, I dine alone. I've lost nothing have I? Then again this Venus made flesh might say yes. In terms my friend there is nothing wrong with asking for anything.

Your second limb is in my view utterly ill conceived. Of course there are other priorities, there always are. But follow through the logic. Are we never to spend money on entertainment? Schools, hospitals etc always need more money. Should local authorities close down every civic amenity and should the money saved by not having leisure centres all be put into health or education? To paraphrase W.H.Davies, a poor life this, if full of care, we have no court for a game of squash.
And of course your argument entirely misses the point of the revenues paid by way of rent, and the ancillary benefits that come with successful sporting teams.
You seem to have a problem with people pointing out the truth, you represent no-one, but you are asking some-one's to spend money for you. That is simply the fact of the matter, whether you like it or not.

Your second counter is simple, that is what the WRU are providing already, why do the Council need to spend money on something that is already there, in preference to statutory obligation to provide services that are in obvious backlog.
An imagined problem doesn't become an actual problem, just because you're worried about it.

Your problem, as pointed out previously by David Buttress, was not something that was mentioned for the first time last week, its an annual event. And still the WRU are investing in RP because it is difficult for David Buttress to get long term finance for facilities, when the bank says "what guarantees do you have"
David Buttress also said that he is not going to waste valuable time worrying about it.

The issue on the table remember is how to develop Welsh players via the regions. He has also pointed out that while the region's are not successful in themselves, the national side has actually been more successful than at any time since the seventies.

Stan A. Einstein wrote: May 18th, 2022, 10:40 am
CathedralCounty wrote: May 18th, 2022, 9:32 am My feeling is having our 'own' ground is as much a blessing as a curse - for clubs like [say] Harrogate, Sutton or Solihull (if they come up which we all hope they do!) who have organically built up from small beginnings albeit more compact and limited facilities its a different concept (not least because those traditional 'non league' [now league] clubs I feel they will never generate as big as crowds as we potentially could) but for us and our weird and wonderful travails and history my view is I'd rather rent - but off whom is the question? No doubt I'd rather be paying Newport Council (likely via leisure trust?) than the WRU - BUT do not really want that yoke of a hulking half full and frankly - 1 stand and one newish terrace apart (North terraced could do with a roof?!) - a somewhat dilapidated stadium albeit in a great location - after some teething troubles we seem to have hit a point where we rub along OK with Dragons and relations seem to be as good as they have ever been - there have been casualties and I do feel for Newport RFC a little but overall I see RP as 'home'...

So...we are not hampered by renting [off whoever] as having our own stadium means we are solely responsible for upkeep which can drag clubs down - BUT as others have said we need security of tenure which I feel we have now but in the medium to longer term perhaps not - all possibilities need exploring - including as back up a refurbished Newport stadium (which we could buy tomorrow but obv covenants would mean we'd need to retain athletics track and ultimately fund a new one elsewhere which can cost a lot - Newport Harries/Lliswerry runners [athletics clubs who currently use that venue] as well as Welsh Athletics - would rightly want guarantees on that) but by far favoured option is to stay at RP for the next several decades and work together with whoever might own/rent it along with us to gradually improve - ultimately within the next 15-20 years a new 6-8000 capacity stadium on the RP site/elsewhere [if RP retain Bisley and build new stand on other 3 sides retraining at least 1 terrace - similar to Burton's or Fleetwood's grounds] for County and the senior [regional or club] in the city to share which in a relatively small and economically challenged city makes sense for all parties
The issue I am raising follows on from the post on another thread posted by Amberexile. An article about Stockport County in part dealt with how paying a huge rent to a private owner of Edgeley Park helped them towards bankruptcy whilst the stadium being bought by the local council helped in part their recovery.

There is an opportunity now to impress upon the local authority that it is the best interest the Dragons, Newport County and the city of Newport generally that Newport City Council buy Rodney Parade and guarantee it's future as a stadium fit for our great home town and the 21st century.

If we try we might fail. If we don't try we will fail. Sometimes things really are that simple.
For a period of 15 years, this grand old ground became a millstone around the neck of Stockport County. The club’s financial disaster was seeded in the collapse of ITV Digital in 2002, which pushed multiple clubs close to the abyss, but the sale of the club in 2005 offered short-term sanctuary and long-term issues.

Stockport County used to own the ground until they gambled against future regular earnings that didn't materialise. That's what made them bankrupt Stan.

Anyone reading the two posts above by Bangitinthenet will be left in no doubt about his views. With respect to Stockport County i would suggest reading the article linked by amberexile on another thread. Whether the present chairman of Stockport County or Bangitinthenet is best placed to decide that which caused Stockport's difficulties is for you to decide.
Likewise Bangitinthenet's views on what the CEO of the Dragons feels are a matter of conjecture. I generally find it better simply to state my own views. Rather than rely on my interpretation of what someone else has said.

My view is simple. Dragons and County face the same threat and as a consequence we now have a unique opportunity to work together. I think we should grab it. It may not work out but then again it may.

As always I am interested in the views of others on the subject. As usual the views of others as to what my problems are I find tedious in the extreme.

Stan A. Einstein wrote: May 18th, 2022, 10:13 am So again George whilst I'm interested in your view on what I have said, I'm not really interested in your view of something I haven't said.
Ladies and gents, Stan has at long last, after more than a decade, coughed up what he's all about here.

Someone else raised the pitfalls of outright ownership. Not everything posted here is in orbit around what's going on inside your head.

Stan A. Einstein wrote: May 18th, 2022, 1:19 pm Rather than have a sensible discussion once again George Street Bridge and Bangitinthenet decide that they would rather indulge themselves with puerile insults.

I do wish that just for once they would try to be constructive.
By being constructive you mean agree with your view's. Most people don't want to engage with someone who doesn't want to know, just ignores any other veiw and just rewrites his own view or states things such as:

"My dear chap you just don't get it do you" ... I. E. I'M Ignoring your view , and just repeat your own.

Or its "there are only two possible answer's" when clearly there isn't.

Or "you simply don't understand my point of view do you" rather than try to engage with the view of the person.

None of the above are engaging, same as all your threads. You simply repeat the same scattergun approach of finding some other reason why we are Fecked, unless someone other than yourself spends some money.

A good piece. Sadly it always feels like they probably have too many other issues requiring investment so I’m sure Rodney Parade will ever get near the top of their agenda. To be fair, local schools, high streets, and public services are all deteriorating. So I can only imagine they’d engage if they could build on some of the land.

But Stan is right, I hope the board are constantly discussing the precarious situation at the Dragons with the Council. Losing one or both teams would be disastrous for Newport’s businesses and the council.