Anyone know much about binoculars?

I’m looking to buy a pair for a lady, who lives by the sea and wants to use them to watch birds, dolphins, porpoises, seals etc. Plus presumably to watch me stagger home from the pub.

Neither of us are bino-experts so don’t know what to buy, other than me thinking she’d prefer a handbag sized compact pair.

Not looking to do any professional watching, but maybe something good enough to see things up to 5 miles away in a clear day. And, being tight, I don’t want to break the bank buying them.

Any advice please? Thanks

Re: Anyone know much about binoculars?

DeePeeNCAFC wrote: May 21st, 2022, 8:00 pm I’m looking to buy a pair for a lady, who lives by the sea and wants to use them to watch birds, dolphins, porpoises, seals etc. Plus presumably to watch me stagger home from the pub.

Neither of us are bino-experts so don’t know what to buy, other than me thinking she’d prefer a handbag sized compact pair.

Not looking to do any professional watching, but maybe something good enough to see things up to 5 miles away in a clear day. And, being tight, I don’t want to break the bank buying them.

Any advice please? Thanks
Try https://www.cameracentreuk.com/contact branches in Newport & Cardiff - they are the 'experts' likely not the cheapest but you'd get good advice - think 'Zeiss' as in Carl Zeiss Jena are still a big name in binoculars! or try RSPB shop in the RSPB reserve in Newport? Sure they'd offer some advice too...