Re: Season Tickets.

County ranger wrote: June 11th, 2022, 4:20 pm
wattsville_boy wrote: June 11th, 2022, 2:53 pm
Stan A. Einstein wrote: June 10th, 2022, 10:05 pm
daftasfxxx wrote: June 10th, 2022, 8:56 pm
County ranger wrote: June 10th, 2022, 8:06 pm We are not a charity disappointed to see general price freezes, as I assume players, backroom staff etc will want salary increases where does this lead - a lower playing budget or cash issues - keeping prices fixed will not be repaid by increased crowds - tighter personal budgets will mean people will go or they will not I don’t think £2 on a ticket would make any difference - how many people who will no doubt shout me down happily pay more for their pint!
Can't win can they
This is the type of post which leads to rows on this board. I will explain.

I think that the board have made the right decision on holding prices down. Two reasons for me are that football is far too expensive. For people on limited incomes increasing a £20 to £22 does matter. By the time you have travelled to the game, bought a programme and a cup of tea, 90 minutes of Newport County costs more than a months internet connection.

County ranger takes a different view and puts a coherent argument. By doing that you can have a debate.

And there's a further point. A decision by it's very nature requires a choice between options. So apart from the no brainers, every decision will not please everyone. And those who think the decision is wrong should express why they think it's wrong. And if people are bright they listen to those with whom they disagree.

So by all means disagree with County ranger. I do. And say why you disagree. There are a few on here who always agree with the board of directors. If you want nodding dogs I suggest setting up a fan club.
It seems as if they have held prices down but as they explain a standard season ticket buys you 8 "free" games this season as opposed to 9 "free" last season - so an increase but below the current rate of inflation. I think in the current cost of living crisis this is a sensible compromise.

I still contend that £22 for admission is too high and have been consistent every year in expressing this viewpoint. It is an expensive afternoon, because I usually have to have something to eat and I like a couple of beers (sometimes it deadens the pain) and a hot beverage before the game. So that £22 admission can often be doubled when I travel by public transport (because of the couple of beers). This season may be the first one that I buy a season ticket for. I am a semi-retired shift worker now (down to 18 hours a week) and so the likelihood of getting sufficient games to make the season ticket viable is greatly increased. Next year I'll turn 60 which greatly reduces the cost of attending matches.
Could I just ask do you think that the price of a pint is too high , the cost of food too high and a cuppa. I get it that you want an afternoon out but we can all go a couple of hours without food and drink and forgo them rather than expect County to keep costs down. If we wish to have a competitive side I regret we are going to have to pay for it.
I don't always have food and it's never inside the ground anymore because the prices are inflated. My routine tends to be one in Tiny Rebel before and after the game and sometimes a can at half time. I expect to pay more for a decent pint in Tiny Rebel which I don't mind paying but inside the ground it's not much cheaper for rubbish beer (either draught or can).

I know Stan used to compare it to Cineworld. I still have my Unlimited card for them and it's £16 for as many films as I want to see a month. The comparison with football is striking. I'm sorry football is overpriced and lower prices could bring in larger crowds. It's a shame that the maximum capacity is higher at RP so that theory could be explored.

wattsville_boy wrote: June 11th, 2022, 2:53 pm I still contend that £22 for admission is too high and have been consistent every year in expressing this viewpoint. It is an expensive afternoon, because I usually have to have something to eat and I like a couple of beers (sometimes it deadens the pain) and a hot beverage before the game. So that £22 admission can often be doubled when I travel by public transport (because of the couple of beers).
But surely this describes a scenario where the football is just one element in making the afternoon too expensive? The beers are a choice which dictates the further choice of public transport, and you'll have to eat wherever you are?

wattsville_boy wrote: June 11th, 2022, 11:15 pm
County ranger wrote: June 10th, 2022, 8:06 pm We are not a charity disappointed to see general price freezes, as I assume players, backroom staff etc will want salary increases where does this lead - a lower playing budget or cash issues - keeping prices fixed will not be repaid by increased crowds - tighter personal budgets will mean people will go or they will not I don’t think £2 on a ticket would make any difference - how many people who will no doubt shout me down happily pay more for their pint!
Can't win can they

I think that the board have made the right decision on holding prices down. Two reasons for me are that football is far too expensive. For people on limited incomes increasing a £20 to £22 does matter. By the time you have travelled to the game, bought a programme and a cup of tea, 90 minutes of Newport County costs more than a months internet connection.

County ranger takes a different view and puts a coherent argument. By doing that you can have a debate.

And there's a further point. A decision by it's very nature requires a choice between options. So apart from the no brainers, every decision will not please everyone. And those who think the decision is wrong should express why they think it's wrong. And if people are bright they listen to those with whom they disagree.

So by all means disagree with County ranger. I do. And say why you disagree. There are a few on here who always agree with the board of directors. If you want nodding dogs I suggest setting up a fan club.
It seems as if they have held prices down but as they explain a standard season ticket buys you 8 "free" games this season as opposed to 9 "free" last season - so an increase but below the current rate of inflation. I think in the current cost of living crisis this is a sensible compromise.

I still contend that £22 for admission is too high and have been consistent every year in expressing this viewpoint. It is an expensive afternoon, because I usually have to have something to eat and I like a couple of beers (sometimes it deadens the pain) and a hot beverage before the game. So that £22 admission can often be doubled when I travel by public transport (because of the couple of beers). This season may be the first one that I buy a season ticket for. I am a semi-retired shift worker now (down to 18 hours a week) and so the likelihood of getting sufficient games to make the season ticket viable is greatly increased. Next year I'll turn 60 which greatly reduces the cost of attending matches.
Could I just ask do you think that the price of a pint is too high , the cost of food too high and a cuppa. I get it that you want an afternoon out but we can all go a couple of hours without food and drink and forgo them rather than expect County to keep costs down. If we wish to have a competitive side I regret we are going to have to pay for it.
I don't always have food and it's never inside the ground anymore because the prices are inflated. My routine tends to be one in Tiny Rebel before and after the game and sometimes a can at half time. I expect to pay more for a decent pint in Tiny Rebel which I don't mind paying but inside the ground it's not much cheaper for rubbish beer (either draught or can).

I know Stan used to compare it to Cineworld. I still have my Unlimited card for them and it's £16 for as many films as I want to see a month. The comparison with football is striking. I'm sorry football is overpriced and lower prices could bring in larger crowds. It's a shame that the maximum capacity is higher at RP so that theory could be explored.
Cineworld at Friars Walk shut during covid and is yet to reopen. So much for their business model.

Bangitintrnet wrote: June 12th, 2022, 8:38 am
wattsville_boy wrote: June 11th, 2022, 11:15 pm
Can't win can they

Cineworld at Friars Walk shut during covid and is yet to reopen. So much for their business model.
They're still open at Spytty. I suspect they were given an inducement to open in Friars Walk, possibly because there is no cinema in central Newport and a cinema can often be a source of revenue for nearby restaurants in Friars Walk. If you ever went to Cineworld in FW it was obvious it wasn't viable.

George Street-Bridge wrote: June 12th, 2022, 8:14 am
wattsville_boy wrote: June 11th, 2022, 2:53 pm I still contend that £22 for admission is too high and have been consistent every year in expressing this viewpoint. It is an expensive afternoon, because I usually have to have something to eat and I like a couple of beers (sometimes it deadens the pain) and a hot beverage before the game. So that £22 admission can often be doubled when I travel by public transport (because of the couple of beers).
But surely this describes a scenario where the football is just one element in making the afternoon too expensive? The beers are a choice which dictates the further choice of public transport, and you'll have to eat wherever you are?
Absolutely it's a choice. But if you're for an afternoon (or evening) of entertainment does that often include going early, something to eat and drink and factoring in transport costs if you are not within walking distance? It was always something I factored in when I lived in London and went out in the West End, why should it be different because I live on the outskirts of Newport?

George Street-Bridge wrote: June 13th, 2022, 6:21 am In percentages, roughly how much have public transport and a pint in Newport gone up in, say, the last five years? My guess is more than a football ticket, but that's all it is.
Rather than make up figures I decided to do a proper calculation.

I know that the adult price to watch Newport County in 1967 was 4/- 6p. 22.5p in modern money. The Bank of England provide an inflation calculator. So you can put in the cost of a commodity in 1967 and compare it with the cost in 2022.

Now there are two points which I'm going to make. Firstly the cost of some items will massively bring the inflation figure down, comparitively speaking you would for instance be forking out many thousands of pounds for a colour television. And only be able to watch the odd colour transmission on BBC 2. I say this because the mean rate of average will be different from the mode, therefore a fair calculation will mean the figure I arrive at will appear a little worse than it is.

Secondly I won't go into the details of the prisoners dilemma but in terms if everyone else is selfish then you are forced to be selfish also. So my criticism is of everyone.

However fairly obviously I agree with Wattsville_boy that football is today way too expensive. Using the BoE calculator and adjusting for inflation the adult standing ticket at Somerton Park in 1967 cost the equivalent of £2.96p.

Now to be fair entertainment generally has seen, for the reasons I alluded to in paragraph three above, inflation at a higher rate than the 4.8% annually using the bare figures alone. But even if we triple the cost and add some a tenner to stand and watch a fourth division football match strikes me as fair.