Re: Bury AFC v Bury FC

wattsville_boy wrote: June 17th, 2022, 10:01 pm
Percy plunkett wrote: June 17th, 2022, 5:50 pm I see that The Drifters are currently on a World Tour.It says that they were formed in 1953,that means that the four guys on stage are all about 95 years old but,the photo shows them to be half that age.One singer says to the audience “ This is a song that you put in the charts for us in 1965 “,how can that be correct as none of the guys on the stage were even born in 1965.The answer,the daughter of the original manager now owns the trade name of The Drifters,she knows that calling these singers The Drifters means that they get prestigious venues where she can charge top ticket prices.They are in fact a tribute act but,if she called them The Plunketts,a sensational tribute to The Drifters,the venues and ticket prices would be much lower,even though it would be the exact same singers on the stage.Now,if someone in the audience wants to believe that they have just seen The Drifters then so be it but,they haven’t.If fans of ours want to think that this football club is the old County then,as long as they keep supporting us then so be it but,we are not the old County.
I have seen "The Bootleg Beatles" twice in my life. I know they weren't the original Beatles but the fact that they portray the Beatles from their Hamburg days to the Let it Be sessions (through the many style changes) make it the best Beatles concert anyone could see.
I go and see tribute acts quite regularly and agree,they have a place in the music scene.I myself spent some years singing around the clubs singing songs by the likes of Billy Fury,Elvis,Johnny Kidd etc.My point was that these tribute acts and myself,never pretended to be the act that we were performing.The Drifters are trying to convince the public that they are The Drifters because their manager owns the trade name and,became the club own the County name and are using it,fans think that we are the old club.We are not a tribute club but,we are a club in our own right who happen to have fans,and were formed by fans,who were fans of the old club.

One final thing on this.Over the years,fans on here have said that they followed County but didn’t go to Moreton,Gloucester etc because they didn’t feel it was County.Those same fans then started following us when County was used in our name.You could say,that these fans were lost forever but them coming back is good for the club as we need as many fans as possible.My question is,how can we not be County for ten whole years then suddenly we are just by sticking County in the name.As Bangitinthenet said,the voters wanted to keep the name AFC but the then board fiddled it to include County Borough votes just to use the name.

Percy plunkett wrote: June 18th, 2022, 1:44 pm
Bangitintrnet wrote: June 18th, 2022, 12:57 pm So 1+1= A pantomime horse now
Can you remember what the true result of the vote was and how many County Borough votes were used to fiddle the result.
No, but I think Steve Williams, the chairman's son ran the vote. I have a vague memory of 7 people voting for Newport County Borough which amazed me. However the vote between Newport AFC and Newport County AFC was very close, so the added 7 made the difference. I don't remember anyone complaining, but most seemed happy to have the name restored.

Bangitintrnet wrote: June 18th, 2022, 2:10 pm
Can you remember what the true result of the vote was and how many County Borough votes were used to fiddle the result.
No, but I think Steve Williams, the chairman's son ran the vote. I have a vague memory of 7 people voting for Newport County Borough which amazed me. However the vote between Newport AFC and Newport County AFC was very close, so the added 7 made the difference. I don't remember anyone complaining, but most seemed happy to have the name restored.
From memory, "Newport County AFC" was not an option on the vote. The name was concocted by combining votes for different names to allow something with County included to "win". My impression at the time is that it was, in part, an attempt to flush away the AFC period and my view at the time was that we should have waited a little longer until the new club reached the Conference where the old club went bust before reinstating the County part of the name.

There is a contradiction there Bang,if there were more votes to stay AFC then how can most have been happy with the name change.

Amberexile wrote: June 18th, 2022, 2:49 pm
From memory, "Newport County AFC" was not an option on the vote. The name was concocted by combining votes for different names to allow something with County included to "win". My impression at the time is that it was, in part, an attempt to flush away the AFC period and my view at the time was that we should have waited a little longer until the new club reached the Conference where the old club went bust before reinstating the County part of the name.
Yes,the new board were determined to have County back,they thought it would be a landslide victory so allowed the fans to decide.When the fans voted to stay AFC,they rigged the result.

Percy plunkett wrote: June 18th, 2022, 4:24 pm
There is a contradiction there Bang,if there were more votes to stay AFC then how can most have been happy with the name change.
In the scence that the predecessor to this list acted the result without many negative comments

Percy plunkett wrote: June 18th, 2022, 1:09 pm
wattsville_boy wrote: June 17th, 2022, 10:01 pm
Percy plunkett wrote: June 17th, 2022, 5:50 pm I see that The Drifters are currently on a World Tour.It says that they were formed in 1953,that means that the four guys on stage are all about 95 years old but,the photo shows them to be half that age.One singer says to the audience “ This is a song that you put in the charts for us in 1965 “,how can that be correct as none of the guys on the stage were even born in 1965.The answer,the daughter of the original manager now owns the trade name of The Drifters,she knows that calling these singers The Drifters means that they get prestigious venues where she can charge top ticket prices.They are in fact a tribute act but,if she called them The Plunketts,a sensational tribute to The Drifters,the venues and ticket prices would be much lower,even though it would be the exact same singers on the stage.Now,if someone in the audience wants to believe that they have just seen The Drifters then so be it but,they haven’t.If fans of ours want to think that this football club is the old County then,as long as they keep supporting us then so be it but,we are not the old County.
I have seen "The Bootleg Beatles" twice in my life. I know they weren't the original Beatles but the fact that they portray the Beatles from their Hamburg days to the Let it Be sessions (through the many style changes) make it the best Beatles concert anyone could see.
I go and see tribute acts quite regularly and agree,they have a place in the music scene.I myself spent some years singing around the clubs singing songs by the likes of Billy Fury,Elvis,Johnny Kidd etc.My point was that these tribute acts and myself,never pretended to be the act that we were performing.The Drifters are trying to convince the public that they are The Drifters because their manager owns the trade name and,became the club own the County name and are using it,fans think that we are the old club.We are not a tribute club but,we are a club in our own right who happen to have fans,and were formed by fans,who were fans of the old club.
I agree. I'm only old enough to remember the Beatles breaking up so only really know them via their records. I know the Bootleg Beatles through seeing them live twice and on those times they would easily feature in the top 50-odd concerts I'd been to for their ability to recreate some of the best popular music ever. But both are different. If I had been born earlier and had the fortune to see the actual Beatles live then I have little doubt that experience would have blown the two performances from the Bootleg Beatles out of the water. But I'm not older, never saw the Beatles, so cannot make the comparison.

I am old enough (and some would argue lucky enough) to remember watching the "original" Newport County. Much of it wasn't of the finest quality (my father probably started taking us from around 1972 until about 76 when I was deemed old sensible enough to go with my friends) but we had a few wonderful seasons that still last in the memory.

I'm happy to accept that Newport County died when it was declared bankrupt. I am happy that the name was bought by someone with interests in the name not being degraded further. I was happy to see a team from Newport start again from scratch, as I believe all football clubs that go bankrupt should. I am happy that Newport AFC changed its name to County, but the "new" County are no more the original Newport County than the Bootleg Beatles are the original Beatles. They are different, but very very similar. And I get much the same pleasure and pain from both.