Re: Our own ground?

DorsetExile wrote: June 13th, 2022, 9:36 pm Sorry if it sounded like a lecture. It wasn't meant to. I was just trying to show why I believe David Hando is correct in thinking that the original club and the present one are, strictly speaking, different ones. And I agree totally that supporting a football club has everything to do with emotion. That was the point of me saying that I have been fanatically devoted to both (?) Newport Counties since I attended my first game in the 1950s. As you rightly point out, Logic can have had nothing at all to do with it!
No need to apologise. Your post was informative and interesting. I enjoy hearing other peoples views on the logic/emotion topic with regards to football clubs, particularly the County. For me it’s all about emotion. I just cannot understand how logic can apply to any person who follows the club. I could be wrong of course, I just don’t think so. Nobody in their right mind would follow us etc…….That probably explains a lot.

Bangitintrnet wrote: June 14th, 2022, 8:32 am The logic part is normally proximity or family related. But it's the emotional roller coaster ride that traps you in Amber.
True , our primitive dopamine reward mechanism has a lot to answer for. For my sons, we were so bad in those days that no dopamine release and consequently never got hooked.😟 luckily for them ? Or have they missed out on a magnificent obsession? They do follow results still however so there’s a germ of addiction 😂

lowandhard wrote: June 14th, 2022, 9:09 am
Bangitintrnet wrote: June 14th, 2022, 8:32 am The logic part is normally proximity or family related. But it's the emotional roller coaster ride that traps you in Amber.
True , our primitive dopamine reward mechanism has a lot to answer for. For my sons, we were so bad in those days that no dopamine release and consequently never got hooked.😟 luckily for them ? Or have they missed out on a magnificent obsession? They do follow results still however so there’s a germ of addiction 😂
I would point out that :idea: the yellow surround around the pitch, must be something to do with one of your son's.

Bangitintrnet wrote: June 14th, 2022, 9:15 am
lowandhard wrote: June 14th, 2022, 9:09 am
I would point out that :idea: the yellow surround around the pitch, must be something to do with one of your son's.
You are absolutely correct and he can take the credit because I know another colour was suggested but he chose amber 😂😂😂UTC

Stan A. Einstein wrote: June 14th, 2022, 12:09 am
Percy plunkett wrote: June 13th, 2022, 11:27 pm Let’s go back to 1989.Jerry Sherman was saying that he had the financial backing to save Newport County and,they would be playing in the Gola League for the forthcoming 89/90 season.Fans were less sure,one April evening,a Lifeline meeting was arranged to ask,do we wait for Jerry to resurrect County or,do Lifeline Society give back the funds held in the society to the members.Marc Williams and Colin Jones suggested another option.Why don’t we form a new club to replace the old County,as Sherman may not keep his word.This idea was discussed after the meeting and AFC were officially born in June 1989.We were advised by a Sherman aid not to bother as Jerry was in the process of reforming County,we ignored that advice and continued our dream.Indeed,the Gola league still left a place open for Newport County well into July so,if by some miracle,Sherman had got the funding to save County,there would have been two Newport teams playing in exile that season.Would two sides have survived with small crowds in exile,how many of the 400 fans at that Lysaghts meeting would have stayed with AFC,how many would have gone with Jerry and the County name,who knows.What I do know is,there would have been two separate teams so,we cannot possibly be the old County.
Percy,
I know that as with many who were involved with the reformation, it is important to you that there are two clubs. I understand that and that is a view you are perfectly entitled to take.
However for those of us who think there is only one club there is only one club. For me we are the old County, for you we are not. Trying to make a definitive argument doesn't work. Buying the name Newport County and using it is not an argument I would use to try to convince you. It holds no water. Nor does your argument that there would have two clubs. As I said there is no right or wrong answer.
Just to correct you Brendan,neither I or anyone else was involved in a reformation,that was what Jerry Sherman failed to do.If you check all the correspondence in 1989 you will remember that we formed a new club to replace the old one.As for buying the name,that was done to stop Sherman, and others,talking of reforming County the following years,as seems to be the case with Bury.There was no intention of changing our name to County.That was done by a different board of directors ten years down the line.The fact that there would have been two clubs,if Jerry had found some backers,proves that we were not the old club.I take it that you would have supported Jerry with the County name instead of David and AFC at Moreton.

Percy plunkett wrote: June 14th, 2022, 4:15 pm
Percy plunkett wrote: June 13th, 2022, 11:27 pm Let’s go back to 1989.Jerry Sherman was saying that he had the financial backing to save Newport County and,they would be playing in the Gola League for the forthcoming 89/90 season.Fans were less sure,one April evening,a Lifeline meeting was arranged to ask,do we wait for Jerry to resurrect County or,do Lifeline Society give back the funds held in the society to the members.Marc Williams and Colin Jones suggested another option.Why don’t we form a new club to replace the old County,as Sherman may not keep his word.This idea was discussed after the meeting and AFC were officially born in June 1989.We were advised by a Sherman aid not to bother as Jerry was in the process of reforming County,we ignored that advice and continued our dream.Indeed,the Gola league still left a place open for Newport County well into July so,if by some miracle,Sherman had got the funding to save County,there would have been two Newport teams playing in exile that season.Would two sides have survived with small crowds in exile,how many of the 400 fans at that Lysaghts meeting would have stayed with AFC,how many would have gone with Jerry and the County name,who knows.What I do know is,there would have been two separate teams so,we cannot possibly be the old County.
Percy,
I know that as with many who were involved with the reformation, it is important to you that there are two clubs. I understand that and that is a view you are perfectly entitled to take.
However for those of us who think there is only one club there is only one club. For me we are the old County, for you we are not. Trying to make a definitive argument doesn't work. Buying the name Newport County and using it is not an argument I would use to try to convince you. It holds no water. Nor does your argument that there would have two clubs. As I said there is no right or wrong answer.
Just to correct you Brendan,neither I or anyone else was involved in a reformation,that was what Jerry Sherman failed to do.If you check all the correspondence in 1989 you will remember that we formed a new club to replace the old one.As for buying the name,that was done to stop Sherman, and others,talking of reforming County the following years,as seems to be the case with Bury.There was no intention of changing our name to County.That was done by a different board of directors ten years down the line.The fact that there would have been two clubs,if Jerry had found some backers,proves that we were not the old club.I take it that you would have supported Jerry with the County name instead of David and AFC at Moreton.
Percy I accept entirely that for you there are two clubs.
For me there is only one. It is entirely a subjective view and neither of us can be right or wrong.

Percy plunkett wrote: June 14th, 2022, 4:15 pm
Percy,

'What ifs' .. 'maybe's' .. 'buts' ... It's the same club

I've always viewed it as the same club, and have always referred to it as 'the county'.
The one that represents my home town, now going by the name of a city, but still the same place.
Most importantly.
Not withstanding everyone and everything, we are still here!
Perhaps Dafydd Iwan should write a song about it

When we reformed in 89 my late father kept referring to us as the County. As a 30 something know it all I kept correcting him saying it's not the County any more, we are a new club.
How right my Dad was. With the benefit of a lot more age and a little bit more wisdom I now know we will always be the County no matter how many time we reform.

jonescmj1 wrote: June 21st, 2022, 4:21 am Assuming to purchase Rodney Parade, does anyone know the max approx. funds the RFU would require, the minimum deposit required, max mortgage period allowable for such an asset?

Colin
From my experience, for a commercial mortgage a main stream lender would work to an LTV (loan to value) of 60% or 70%. As for term, then you are typically looking at a max of 10 to 15 years. As with anything there are always exceptions to the rule, but the perceived increased risk is reflected in the pricing.
Regarding the WRU, only they could quantify what price would be accepted, and of course they would need to be a willing seller. To have a stab at a valuation, I would suggest that as a sports stadium there are probably only three potential purchasers, County, Dragons and the Council, and possibly a combination of all three. Therefore the value is what they would be prepared to pay, say £3/£4m.

So to expand on that, a purchase price of £4m would conservatively qualify for a loan of £2.8m which over 15 years on an amortising basis and at a rate of say 7%, would equate to approx £25,000 per month, or £300,000pa. In addition, there would be an arrangement fee to be paid at the outset, so basically the buyer would need about £1.5m to start the process off. All this illustrates the need to involve the Council, both as lender and partner.

However if the Council were daft enough to consider the site for housing, then of course the position changes. Doesn’t the whole site extend to around 9 acres? If so, then I guess the value for residential development could be £5/£6m, but the economic loss to the City considerably more!