Women's Euro's

Anyone excited? I ask not to dismiss it but to genuinely gauge the interest, Wales aren't in it (realistic chance of being in the world cup though) - for me the coverage seems to be more about the nauseating gender politics than the football itself - one thing I like about [say] women's rugby, athletics & tennis just focus on the sport itself which can be enjoyed on its own merits - whereas the plaintive cry around women’s football [often/usually towards male fans of the men’s game] is ‘you MUST like women’s football and if you don’t you are a misogynist!!!’ – instead of ‘take a look, come along see what you think’ which is far better way to engage people and also a blind drive to get fans of the men’s game into women’s football instead of looking to new markets…as for the games themselves I’m supporting Northern Ireland

Re: Women's Euro's

I am all in favour of women playing football, or any sport. I also think that at the elite level women's football should be given proper coverage on the television and indeed all media. And I hope that the women's Euro's is a resounding success.
That said I have no interest in women's football.

One thing I would say is that as a spectacle, it's become more watchable in the past couple of years and I shall tune in to some of this tournament. It is more reliant on skill and fitness than sheer physical power. Hopefully England will not be hyped above their capability but I fear that may happen.

I really think it's going to go from strength to strength.... Although when it comes to the "dark arts" woman's football is not squeaky clean. I shall.be watching the Euros.... Personally hope it doesn't take off too much or Sky et al will want to muscle in

Good Evening

Regarding the Womens euros, in my opinion it is good for womens sport to be respected by all. Whilst agreeing that Womens football does not carry the fanatical intensity of the male game. It can run on its own merit and is gaining momentum every year.
My first born became interested in football at an early age, played for ten years, won cups and trophies, played in the FA CUP and a tournament abroad. I was part of that ride, proudly supporting and encouraging along the way. This first born is now a Newport County supporter too, as well as a big football fan in general and is as we speak at Old Trafford to support Englands women against Austria.
To me the fact she is female is immaterial, we both love football and have shared countless special memories together watching and taking part in the game.
Long may that continue!

Phil in Northampton

Not sure that it can run on it's own merit if that includes transfer fees and spiralling wages. Shocked to hear that one of the major trophy winning teams has a stadium with a capacity of 4,000. I suppose maybe they don't earn anything like as much as I imagine.
Last edited by excessbee on July 6th, 2022, 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Not sure that it can run on it's own merit if that includes transfer fees and spiralling wages. Shocked to hear that one of the major trophy winning teams has a stadium with a capacity of 4,000. I suppose maybe they don't earn anything like as much as I imagine. I shall watch this evening's match.

excessbee wrote: July 5th, 2022, 6:15 pm One thing I would say is that as a spectacle, it's become more watchable in the past couple of years and I shall tune in to some of this tournament. It is more reliant on skill and fitness than sheer physical power. Hopefully England will not be hyped above their capability but I fear that may happen.
I agree that the lack of the physically powerful element of the mens game provides the opportunity for skill to come to the fore in the women’s game. I don’t watch a lot of women’s football but I’ve seen some technically brilliant pieces of skill on display.

phil_in_npton wrote: July 6th, 2022, 6:29 pm Good Evening

Regarding the Womens euros, in my opinion it is good for womens sport to be respected by all. Whilst agreeing that Womens football does not carry the fanatical intensity of the male game. It can run on its own merit and is gaining momentum every year.
My first born became interested in football at an early age, played for ten years, won cups and trophies, played in the FA CUP and a tournament abroad. I was part of that ride, proudly supporting and encouraging along the way. This first born is now a Newport County supporter too, as well as a big football fan in general and is as we speak at Old Trafford to support Englands women against Austria.
To me the fact she is female is immaterial, we both love football and have shared countless special memories together watching and taking part in the game.
Long may that continue!

Phil in Northampton
And I guess that’s my point - less emphasis on gender politics more on the joy and opportunity the game can bring

excessbee wrote: July 6th, 2022, 6:36 pm Not sure that it can run on it's own merit if that includes transfer fees and spiralling wages. Shocked to hear that one of the major trophy winning teams has a stadium with a capacity of 4,000. I suppose maybe they don't earn anything like as much as I imagine. I shall watch this evening's match.
Average attendance only about 2,000. So women's football has a very long way to go before it is comparable with the men's game.

Yeovil had a very successful Women’s football team which played in the top tier, that was until it was decided by the League to have a Premier type setup. Costs increased overnight to unsustainable levels, meaning only those financially backed by the big clubs were able to compete.
Yeovil Ladies have now merged with Bridgwater, the lesson being that unless you are in receipt of massive subsidies the financial viability of professional Women’s football is questionable, and I guess always will be.

Taunton Iron Cider wrote: July 7th, 2022, 6:57 am Yeovil had a very successful Women’s football team which played in the top tier, that was until it was decided by the League to have a Premier type setup. Costs increased overnight to unsustainable levels, meaning only those financially backed by the big clubs were able to compete.
Yeovil Ladies have now merged with Bridgwater, the lesson being that unless you are in receipt of massive subsidies the financial viability of professional Women’s football is questionable, and I guess always will be.
That’s where I feel the women’s game in England indeed Scotland [a little less so in Wales] has lost its way – the selling of smaller clubs or ‘by women for women' clubs like Doncaster Belles and to a lesser extent Glasgow City (the most successful UK women’s only football club ever I believe) down the river. As we have seen mid and post Covid women’s teams which are part of men’s ‘parent’ clubs are the first to suffer when money is tight and the current model is simply unsustainable – my view is that women’s teams should work on a more [women’s] rugby/cricket or Olympic model where the mid/upper echelons are de facto semi pro with a 2-4 year central contract cycle with a view to get a [women’s] GB team in the Olympics regularly as well – the women’s game MUST follow a different path than the men’s model to be sustainable unless we want a [financially doped] 6 team women’s premier league or a hugely uncompetitive 12 team one.

Trouble is ANY even slightly negative comments about the women's game is shouted down as 'misogynist' - I hate to say it but just worry that we'll be left with a mess of an elite women's game in a few years if things don't change.