Re: Townsend or Day

If you’d have asked me this question, as we walked away for the Riverside after the last gasp equaliser, I would never have believed the answer I’m about to give, as Townsend looked anything but a pro goalkeeper ….. however not sure what’s happened to Day since the Cardiff sketch, but he looks devoid of any confidence ….. I was at the Cardiff game, his kicking was poor (again) and looked to be beaten easily for the goals …. Then at Torquay he tucked Drysdale up with a dreadful pass in the 6 yard box …… so Townsend for me now his shot stopping has improved and his kicking is good (although he’s prone to a few lapses).

I said in the Summer the perfect scenario would be to get Day off the wage bill, get a decent No 1 and have Townsend as a No 2?

G Guest wrote: July 22nd, 2022, 12:17 pm I disagree. I don't think that they are as good as each other. I think that Townsend is distinctly the better player.
Same. NT better in my opinion. Ive seen Day have too many bad games whereas NT has very few bad games although his distribution can be a bit wayward at times.

owlsabout wrote: July 22nd, 2022, 5:13 pm I still dont get why we signed Joe back on a 3 year deal it's a crazy decision , he will be one of the highest earners and wont have a sell on profit. Must have been one hell of a barbecue the night the deal was done .we had nick just needed a tidy backup word is Joe been told he's the number one this season .so expect him to start
If that’s the case then it worries me greatly that Rowberry is unable to see the great difference in the relationships our goalkeepers establish with their defence. Day reluctant to come out to snuff out danger and uncomfortable on the floor. They’re both decent shot stoppers but in my view Day has gone backwards, why on earth we re-signed him is beyond me. I give up because if he can’t see that, what else isn’t he seeing. No new start for JR for me, he’s on that home run of losses and to my mind we shouldn’t take until Xmas to make our minds up on him.

Got to see both keepers play a half each at FGR. If there's anyway to splice the 2 together then you'd have Allison Becker but as it stands it's a very tough choice. I'm more Team Townsend but Joe pulled off an absolute worldie point blank save on Sat and he is clearly a great keeper at our level. I just think that Townsend has less mistakes in him.