Re: Women's Euro's

excessbee wrote: July 28th, 2022, 9:31 am I've quite enjoyed what I've seen of the tournament but must say last night's match was poor. Both sides seem to work on the principle of 'kick it forward and let's see what happens'. Alex Scott thought it was a terrific game. At least England mostly seem to have a purpose to their play.
Yes, the French seemed to have more flair but constantly lost the ball upfront. The Germans are well -drilled but don’t appear to have much ingenuity to hurt teams. Their organisational skills will make things difficult for England who in fairness to them look more enterprising going forward. Should be interesting.

CathedralCounty wrote: July 28th, 2022, 8:59 am
lowandhard wrote: July 28th, 2022, 8:14 am To make it worse, it’s England v Germany so it’ll be jingoism central and hyper hype. Can’t see Germany matching England tbh but I hope it’s a great game.
Ah but it won;t be 'jingoism' it'll be 'friendly banter' because the women's game can do no wrong - I think there could be full on pyro and pitch invasion and it'd be 'you go girls' and a government minister would come out in support - I just hope Germany can win it but England seem to be on one and almost unbeatable
After all the football's coming home b0ll0cks time and time again, I'll find it quite funny when they do it before the men.

mad norm wrote: July 31st, 2022, 7:50 pm Is it in your repertoire UTP to just for once say "Well Done"?
It IS in mine despite my sceptical view of the propagandist and authoritarian nature of women’s football and it’s diktats (and yes I had hoped for a German win) BUT let’s be honest there will be some vomit inducing hoorah and yet more persecution complex/chip on the shoulder gender politics ballacks for a good week especially on the woke broadcasting corporation which treats its public with barely concealed contempt while taxing us for its funding! England won well done to them but women’s league games will remain poorly attended and the league uncompetitive (may be the case that rather like men’s rugby women’s football is driven by and viewed through the lens of its international games?) so it’ll be my cache of recorded history documentaries & switching off my usual radio station (radio 5) for this coming week.

UPTHEPORT wrote: July 31st, 2022, 6:06 pm Lots of empty seats for a sell out 🤔
Re education for you you misogynist - all propaganda must be believed and any criticism is punishable by re education and forever having to politely lie about how great women’s football is and fully accepting that you are jointly responsible for women’s football not being as huge as the men’s game due to a “ban” (that was never actually a “ban”) that ended 50 YEARS AGO…honesty isn’t welcome

Good Afternoon
I’m a football fan, a Newport County fan and English. I have enjoyed the England ladies success. I have never been moved enough to watch International football live. My daughter is a football fan, a Newport County fan, a Man Utd fan(???) and an England fan who goes to both mens and ladies matches.
We support any home nation against other teams, whoever it is. We bear no football grudges against other teams but celebrate victory against them. The sheer joy of seeing the team you support succeed is a memory for life.
There is no reason for people who are not English to be supportive of an English victory. They react how they wish and this message board has a unique mixture of Welsh/English folk. I like to think that adds to its interest and won’t divide us.

Phil in Northampton

I was beginning to give Womens football a chance after some earlier games at least showed some decent build up play but I thought todays game was absolutely dreadful. Congratulations to England ladies for outdoing the men but bloody hell, that was a dire extra time. The Germans were laughably poor at being unable to cope with taking the ball into the corner when England were seeing the game out. I thought at least the English keeper and the German „ Beckenbauer type „ I think she was called Oberdorf looked competent, I thought recently they might give a L2 side a game but nah! they’d be slaughtered.

Well done England and great for women's football. But media coverage has been way over the top and people have been whipped into a frenzy for a tournament with vastly inferior skill levels compared to men's football. Some of the mistakes today were embarrassing to watch. There is an agenda, footballers and other celebrities can't come out and say what I've just said because they'lll be slated and lose their jobs. So, this will be all we'll hear about for the next few weeks/months. In my opinion massively OTT!

aberexile wrote: July 31st, 2022, 9:25 pm Well done England and great for women's football. But media coverage has been way over the top and people have been whipped into a frenzy for a tournament with vastly inferior skill levels compared to men's football. Some of the mistakes today were embarrassing to watch. There is an agenda, footballers and other celebrities can't come out and say what I've just said because they'lll be slated and lose their jobs. So, this will be all we'll hear about for the next few weeks/months. In my opinion massively OTT!
Couldn't agree more,next thing there will be a frenzy about inequality with pay compared to the men's game.

Disappointed at some of the comments on here to be honest. Women's football still has to grow more, and all of this 'hidden agenda' tin hat nonsense just holds back progress that desperately needs to be made. Also disappointed that England won the World Cup, Euros, World War 1, World War 2, World War 3, the Hunger Games, Eurovision, the Everest Double Glazing Salesperson of the Month and Crufts in one match. Or at least that's what it seems.

All this will do is accelerate women's football's progress into an identikit to men's, with the same old teams dominating as per. Remember when Yeovil and Notts County were in the WSL? And then Man United applied for a license and the FA put them straight in the second tier?