Viking tickets

Like a fair few Sligo Rovers I was unable to obtain a ticket for the next round of European competition v Vikings of Norway.

For those of you who are interested if you google Sligo Rovers and go on their website you can read for yourself the club statement. In terms it states as follows.

We are aware that a lot of supporters are disappointed. We messed up. This is what we got wrong. On reflection this is what we should have done. We will learn from this mistake. The administration is done by volunteers and we hope you will understand they were working under pressure. Hopefully there may be returns. Once again we extend our apologies.

I am disappointed I didn't get a ticket. The club statement makes me feel good about the club.

Re: Viking tickets

UPTHEPORT wrote: August 3rd, 2022, 10:53 am Morning Bren tell us what you think our club has done wrong in its communications
Think the issue is there is a perception, unfair or otherwise, that Newport County simply doesn't communicate, or communicates too late on matters that people are clearly concerned about - in fairness a recent email sent did get an albeit belated reply (and a route to possible further communication on the matter) so this perception may be unfair but in terms of overall 'club statements' there does seem to be an almost perverse unwillingness to just say something on matters of concern if nothing else simply on the basis that a positive anything is better than a negative nothing and being opaque – it’s a case ‘on [x matter] we know people are concerned/upset on this – we should/should not have done x and are sorry’ or; ‘on [x matter] we do not have any news we can share yet but will do so when we have’ OK so that may sound like doing it for the sake of it but at least it’s out there and saying nothing just invites people to imagine all sorts of scenarios and often the reasons are actually quite prosaic (so [say] ticket issues = because of new contracts and some back handers on contracts for x company who supply an inferior system and we have sacked all our ticketing staff disgrace!!! – no actually the system just broke for half a day – or whatever – that’s a fictional EXAMPLE for illustrative purposes btw)

UPTHEPORT wrote: August 3rd, 2022, 10:53 am
Morning Jim.

To quote one of my favourite films, what we have here is failure to communicate.
And when they do it is usually reactive. By way of example. Our license to play at Rodney Parade runs out at the end of this season. That is a matter of concern. It is reported by Bangitinthenet, I don't know whether accurately or not, that Dave Buttress will not sign a new agreement until there are new owners of the Dragons. If you read the so called 'minutes' produced by the club either the directors are not discussing this, or they are not letting on that they are.
My view is that this makes a mockery of Newport County being a fans club.
Contrast that with the statement from Sligo Rovers. I don't expect perfection, I do expect accountability.

The Club has said that talks for the lease are ongoing what more can they say

Also the other day there was a thread about seats missing now common sense says to me if these missing seats weren't going to be ready then the club should make a statement

Now I believe the refs room has bulbs missing do we need a statement to that effect

No they will have new bulbs by Saturday

UPTHEPORT wrote: August 3rd, 2022, 1:08 pm The Club has said that talks for the lease are ongoing what more can they say

Also the other day there was a thread about seats missing now common sense says to me if these missing seats weren't going to be ready then the club should make a statement

Now I believe the refs room has bulbs missing do we need a statement to that effect

Well at the Tranmere game at Wembley, the Gavin Foxall was telling everyone that the agreement was pretty much in place. Now admittedly Bangitinthenet's reputation for accuracy is not an unqualified meritorious success but he is stating that the Chair of Dragons will not be signing any agreement.

My view is that if a problem that has been arisen the clubs owners deserve to know that. If there is no problem then the speculation and misreporting of facts would end with a simple unambiguous statement.

UPTHEPORT wrote: August 3rd, 2022, 1:08 pm The Club has said that talks for the lease are ongoing what more can they say

As I said it may be an unfair perception but there is a 'vibe' that, certainly in the past, the club has not been very transparent on many & various matters - now and going forward that is changing/may well change

Mr Buttress is understandably desperate to bring in some investors, although I’m not even sure that he has ever put any of his own money into the Club yet, so what better enticement is there than the Dragons owning some city centre real estate, particularly as the franchise is historically loss making?

The trouble is that those self same people will not necessarily be interested in the welfare of the Dragons, or indeed Newport County, instead they will be eying the possibility of making a quick buck.
The land will be hived off into a separate company and without an existing lease, both Dragons and County could be faced with extortionate rental demands, and nothing would please them more if both teams followed the economic path of NRFC by moving out.

It is for that reason, amongst many others, that the Council need to come forward about a possible purchase of RP and preserve it for future generations to come, in that I would also include the cabbage patch which makes an ideal car park.

Taunton Iron Cider wrote: August 3rd, 2022, 6:47 pm Mr Buttress is understandably desperate to bring in some investors, although I’m not even sure that he has ever put any of his own money into the Club yet, so what better enticement is there than the Dragons owning some city centre real estate, particularly as the franchise is historically loss making?

The trouble is that those self same people will not necessarily be interested in the welfare of the Dragons, or indeed Newport County, instead they will be eying the possibility of making a quick buck.
The land will be hived off into a separate company and without an existing lease, both Dragons and County could be faced with extortionate rental demands, and nothing would please them more if both teams followed the economic path of NRFC by moving out.

It is for that reason, amongst many others, that the Council need to come forward about a possible purchase of RP and preserve it for future generations to come, in that I would also include the cabbage patch which makes an ideal car park.
I agree with your analysis insomuch as the scenario you foresee is very possible. My view remains that a proactive board of directors should be galvanizing the supporters to lobby Newport City Council.

I live in hope.

Taunton Iron Cider wrote: August 3rd, 2022, 6:47 pm Mr Buttress is understandably desperate to bring in some investors, although I’m not even sure that he has ever put any of his own money into the Club yet, so what better enticement is there than the Dragons owning some city centre real estate, particularly as the franchise is historically loss making?

The problem with this analysis is that the Dragon's play so few games at Rodney Parade no one has been interested in purchasing Rodney Parade or the Dragon's in the last 15 years.