Cost of living money saving advice

Going to be a hard winter so share your tips

To cut down on bills I've brought a 9in 1 ninja cooker cooks stuff a lot quicker and cheaper than a conventional oven and so far food been lovely

If you do any boiling I bring to the boil say you're eggs turn off the heat leave lid on, poached eggs I just do the toast as soon as that's done the eggs are perfect boiled eggs I just leave for about 8-10 minutes lid on when boiled,Cut your spuds smaller do the same rice as well that's if you use saucepans .

Got a fan for heating one room

Walking more good for me and my bank walking to work and shopping you know bits and bobs in week 😂

Decided to go to one car the second hand market is very strong at moment made more on selling her car than we brought it for using that money for fuel on the other car for year or so

Any more ideas?

Re: Cost of living money saving advice

When boing a kettle for tea coffee, only fill it up for the amount of cups needed. Boiling a kettle is one of the least efficient and most expensive uses of electricity in the house.

If you can’t afford to go completely solar (I can’t), install a small solar system in your garden and use it to power all your garden electrical equipment via charging up batteries that come with the device. Can be used with household appliances as well - hoover, etc. I have about 12 appliances run on batteries via solar. I haven’t had to plug an iPad/iPhone into the mains since April last year apart from a month last Dec/Jan.

No probs Jim - share the info’ I say.

Early last year from Amazon (as a kit) for approx £340 I bought:

X2 120 Watt Eco Worthy Solar panels
Super Batt 12 v battery 110Ah
1.5 KW Solar panel inverter
Eco worthy Solar power inverter

They are installed on my shed. They were bought as a kit but they have been separated by Amazon now. You can buy the solar panels and the controller but the battery and inverter have to be bought separately. They have also gone slightly up in price unfortunately.

If you are considering getting one, think of the power output you will need. 1.5 Kw provides approx 6 Amps which is not a great deal but the inverter is the most expensive part of the project. Get the best you can afford preferably pure sine wave output not modulated. I have x2 mains outputs and x4 usb outputs from it. There are also x2 usb outputs from the solar panel controller.

This system is more than enough to charge all devices that have a battery to power them. As I mentioned, I have approx 12 and the batteries that power them are always either on charge or fully charged up and ready for use. Normally my first job in the morning is to take out to the shed for charging the batteries that have charged up mine and Mrs P iPads/phones overnight.

I am thinking of upgrading my garden system but I just cannot afford a full solar system for my house.

UPTHEPORT wrote: August 31st, 2022, 5:04 pm Cheers Mike I'm thinking of one just for our mobiles they are charging every day at moment
If I was doing it just for mobiles, this is what I would do Jim:

Buy one 100W solar panel with a solar panel controller for installation in the garden. They are on Amazon. Very easy. Buy two 10,000mA power banks (battery packs) and continuously charge them in the day. Bring them inside and use them to charge up your and yr Mrs mobiles overnight. They can be bought for about £25 on Amazon. For a phone you should get approx 4/5 full charges. If you have kids and grandkids, (I have 3 and 6) you can use them to charge up their phones/iPads as well. I had x3 batteries and my grandsons iPad on charge today. I also used another battery to charge my granddaughter iPad. Very useful.

DeePeeNCAFC wrote: September 2nd, 2022, 7:57 pm
rncfc wrote: September 2nd, 2022, 3:24 pm When doing a shop, did you know that Tesco has a "buy 2, get 1 free" offer on absolutely everything scanned at the self-service checkout? The items don't even have to be the same.

The carrier bags are also free when using this service.
At the fear of being ‘whooshed’ here, are you sure? Please tell me more. Is it legal?
WWWHHHOOOOOSSSSSHHHHHH! Lol

rncfc wrote: September 9th, 2022, 4:16 pm
DeePeeNCAFC wrote: September 2nd, 2022, 7:57 pm
rncfc wrote: September 2nd, 2022, 3:24 pm When doing a shop, did you know that Tesco has a "buy 2, get 1 free" offer on absolutely everything scanned at the self-service checkout? The items don't even have to be the same.

The carrier bags are also free when using this service.
At the fear of being ‘whooshed’ here, are you sure? Please tell me more. Is it legal?
WWWHHHOOOOOSSSSSHHHHHH! Lol
You bugger! 😉
It reminded me of a special offer that Tesco did a few years back, where if you bought 20p worth of fresh carrots they would knock 30p off your food bill. The offer ran for about 24hrs when some wise guy realised that if you only bought carrots and nothing else, you’d pay no money but get 10p given to you by the cashier, so people were buying masses of kilos to make a few quid.

Good Morning
Took my old Mum shopping to Asda yesterday, she isn’t always well enough to go every week. Got to the till and when scanning her tins of 23p plain label rice puddings the cashier said you can’t have four of those, it’s a limit of three! Apparently to stop bulk buying. I couldn’t be bothered to tell the cashier that we could have bought two each separately.

Phil in Northampton