Re: Two wrongs

mad norm wrote: December 8th, 2022, 9:23 am
UPTHEPORT wrote: December 8th, 2022, 9:19 am https://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/24- ... s-28641417

Watched this episode the other night ok he shouldn't have chased them but he got 22 months
Why shouldn't he have chased them?
I'm no 'hang em and flog em' type by any means BUT the way in which justice and policing has got things back to front from even 10 years ago is almost scary. I wasn’t born in the 'Heartbeat' era but as per some [mis] interpretation of laws around Covid justice is not being done as it was (not that the bad stuff like police corruption and forced confessions were great either but in general the villains got banged up and the decent people were kept safe). The police of today seem to have become impotent and unable to make their own judgements and the courts seem to make egregiously unjust decisions. In a world where this guy can get put in prison for 22 months and people can be jailed for posting a tweet something has gone seriously wrong.

I don’t agree with vigilantism as some tragic cases have shown that to be no way to bring justice (mistaken identity & rumors, etc) BUT this is a clear case of the obvious perpetrators being chased by an aggrieved property owner and them [the perpetrators] getting their just deserts. I’m not an alpha macho man and very quiet and non-violent BUT if anyone broke into my property and tried to damage/steal my property or me/my wife person my instinct and very fibre of my being would kick in and I’d probably get hold of the heaviest object I could find and smack them on the head with it - I'd have hoped that I wouldn't be the one getting in trouble.

Once we decide to ignore the rule of law, we do so at our peril. A true story that happened back in the 1970s a few miles from where I now live.

An arms cache was discovered in an old barn. The army placed microphones in the barn and waited for the paramilitaries to turn up and collect.
What should have happened then is that when the paramilitaries turned up they should have been arrested and put on trial. Instead an operational decision was made to 'take out' the terrorists.

Now if any of you are thinking good, just ponder this.

Imagine you are a parent of one of the two 15 year old totally innocent lads who messing about as young lads will had the misfortune to stumble into that barn.

I have sympathy for the provoked electrician but the rule of law keeps us civilized.

Stan A. Einstein wrote: December 10th, 2022, 11:02 am Once we decide to ignore the rule of law, we do so at our peril. A true story that happened back in the 1970s a few miles from where I now live.

An arms cache was discovered in an old barn. The army placed microphones in the barn and waited for the paramilitaries to turn up and collect.
What should have happened then is that when the paramilitaries turned up they should have been arrested and put on trial. Instead an operational decision was made to 'take out' the terrorists.

Now if any of you are thinking good, just ponder this.

Imagine you are a parent of one of the two 15 year old totally innocent lads who messing about as young lads will had the misfortune to stumble into that barn.

I have sympathy for the provoked electrician but the rule of law keeps us civilized.
You’re example is a security services funk up not “vigilantism” BUT agree rule of law is important even if justice isn’t always done that said the guy should have been given a suspended sentence