Re: Charlie McNeill

OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote: January 31st, 2023, 1:41 pm
lowandhard wrote: January 31st, 2023, 12:38 pm Like others I’m looking forward to watching the lad but he’s not from Hogwarts so I hope people aren’t expecting too much! Let’s hope we manage to create some chances for him.
Exactly that. We have to be realistic about how likely it is for a 19 year old striker to be able to handle the physically of League2 football from the off.
Agree with both.

I hope he does well. And he might do.

There are two difficulties he will face. Firstly the physicality of men's football will come as a shock. And secondly if he does need time to adjust the high expectations of supporters can quickly result in the halo slipping and becoming a noose.

That said once he pulls on an amber shirt he has my full suuport.

I wouldn't worry too much. 3 goals in five games in the EFL Trophy this season suggests that he can handle the man's game. But I don't think he is an old style number 9. He is 6 feet tall but doesn't appear to head the ball a lot. He scores with his feet. So someone else may have to provide the knock downs for him to score with the second ball. He will need timely and accurate through balls as well. I think we have players who can do that. I'm hopeful that the new lad from Port Vale can as well. Also I think he is the type of player who will benefit from and enjoy the excellent RP pitch.

Chepstow'sFine wrote: January 31st, 2023, 2:04 pm As long as he's better than Rob Street.
After the disaster that was Rob Street, that's the concern I will have over any January loan signing with no league experience. I suspect we have this lad on the understanding that he will be given game time which, unfortunately, is was probably happened with Street. Rowberry was certainly seen off with that deal.

excessbee wrote: January 31st, 2023, 5:43 pm
Chepstow'sFine wrote: January 31st, 2023, 2:04 pm As long as he's better than Rob Street.
After the disaster that was Rob Street, that's the concern I will have over any January loan signing with no league experience. I suspect we have this lad on the understanding that he will be given game time which, unfortunately, is was probably happened with Street. Rowberry was certainly seen off with that deal.
Obviously there is a greater element of risk with any teenage loanee compared with a EFL 'tried and tested' experienced player. As it appears we were outbid/couldn't attract the later, we can but hope the lad is somewhere near the quality his hype suggests. Don't see we have anything to lose by throwing him straight in.

I have seen far worse players than Rob Street.He at least scored a couple,unlike some,and is in L1 with Shrewsbury so not sure why he would be singled out.

Percy plunkett wrote: January 31st, 2023, 8:01 pm
I have seen far worse players than Rob Street.He at least scored a couple,unlike some,and is in L1 with Shrewsbury so not sure why he would be singled out.
Bit tongue in cheek. He showed some decent promise but quickly looked out of his depth. He must have one hell of a show reel to get a L1 gig! McNeill will be interesting as he has a lot of hype around him. I know there's no direct correlation but his goal numbers at all levels he's played are phenomenal.