When we were the best in Wales

Everyone remembers our promotion to the 3rd division, playing in Europe and nearly getting promoted to the 2nd division.

However in 1985/86 and 1986/87 the County finished these seasons as the top side in Wales, despite having poor seasons. Yes Cardiff, Swansea and Wrexham were all beneath us for the only times on our history.

Re: When we were the best in Wales

Blackandamber wrote: February 9th, 2023, 11:32 am
pembsexile wrote: February 9th, 2023, 10:48 am My memory ain’t what it used to be, but, weren’t we top of the Welsh pile when we beat Cardiff 1-0 on Easter Monday 1983 to go top of the old Div 3 with 6 games to go? Happy days.
You got me thinking Mike or googling to be honest. Swansea were in the 1st division in 1982/83.
Yeah, you are right. Haven’t checked but I think the Jacks went from Div 4 to Div 1 in about 4 seasons in the early eighties. I do remember when they entered Div 1 after 5 games they were top. Great days for Welsh club football.

pembsexile wrote: February 9th, 2023, 1:29 pm
Blackandamber wrote: February 9th, 2023, 11:32 am
pembsexile wrote: February 9th, 2023, 10:48 am My memory ain’t what it used to be, but, weren’t we top of the Welsh pile when we beat Cardiff 1-0 on Easter Monday 1983 to go top of the old Div 3 with 6 games to go? Happy days.
You got me thinking Mike or googling to be honest. Swansea were in the 1st division in 1982/83.
Yeah, you are right. Haven’t checked but I think the Jacks went from Div 4 to Div 1 in about 4 seasons in the early eighties. I do remember when they entered Div 1 after 5 games they were top. Great days for Welsh club football.
Saw them beat Leeds 5-0 at the Vetch, in their first game of the season

UPTHEPORT wrote: February 9th, 2023, 2:39 pm I always thought it was just one season we was number one in Wales
Both Cardiff and Swansea were relegated from the 3rd division in 85/86. Wrexham were in the 4th division, where they stayed until 92/93. So the County finished above C & S in the 3rd division in 85/86 and all 3 Welsh rivals were in the 4th division in the following season.

Athletico Lovells wrote: February 11th, 2023, 8:41 am
Was it the defeat at Huddersfield that was the killer blow?
I often wonder what would have happened if we had been promoted into the 2 tier of English football in 1983.
You may well be right. I have never really understood as to why we had a crash in form in our last 6 games after being top and thereby missing out on promotion.

If we had been promoted we may have been able to keep our best players instead of them moving on. We would have had to have the attendance figures increase as well to match our status at the time. We would have had to pay them better. It would have taken a lot of effort and investment in the infrastructure. The sad thing is that we had (in my opinion) the best ever County team with a stadium that was dilapidated and out of the ark. Who knows I suppose.

I often wonder what would have happened if we had been promoted into the 2 tier of English football in 1983.
I went to the game after Cardiff, Gillingham away, well beaten 2-0. We beat Wrectum 4-0 losing 3 other games. We needed something from Huddersfield to still be in contention for promotion but lost. Last game was a dead rubber which we drew. Bottled it springs to mind

I think it was the 3-0 home defeat to Portsmouth which did for us. I remember going to that game utterly convinced we would win and convinced we would be promoted. I remember the utter deflation leaving Somerton Park that day. I don't think we ever recovered.