Re: Grandstand: Barrow v Newport County

Kevinmoorefellover wrote: February 11th, 2023, 6:45 pm I know this won’t be of huge relevance to the younger members of this forum (if there are any youngsters posting on here) but I took the opportunity to come up to Barrow yesterday and travel on to Workington. I wanted to see the ground where we secured our place in the Football League back in 1977, and where Workington lost their place to Wimbledon at the same time. I had no expectations beyond standing outside the ground and reminiscing quietly, but came across the groundsman who gave me a complete tour of the stadium. Bill Shankly managed them in the ‘50s and there were plenty of references to him in the ground. I believe it was Eddie Woods that scored that critical goal in Cumbria 45 years ago, as I sat at home in Newport hoping for the best. It took me 45 years to make a pilgrimage to that ground and was fortunate to meet someone who was prepared to reminisce with me. I wish Workington AFC all the best for the future. Both Barrow and the County have proved it’s possible to come back.
Very good post. Enjoyed that.

Re: Grandstand: Barrow v Newport County

pembsexile wrote: February 11th, 2023, 9:00 pm
Kevinmoorefellover wrote: February 11th, 2023, 6:45 pm I know this won’t be of huge relevance to the younger members of this forum (if there are any youngsters posting on here) but I took the opportunity to come up to Barrow yesterday and travel on to Workington. I wanted to see the ground where we secured our place in the Football League back in 1977, and where Workington lost their place to Wimbledon at the same time. I had no expectations beyond standing outside the ground and reminiscing quietly, but came across the groundsman who gave me a complete tour of the stadium. Bill Shankly managed them in the ‘50s and there were plenty of references to him in the ground. I believe it was Eddie Woods that scored that critical goal in Cumbria 45 years ago, as I sat at home in Newport hoping for the best. It took me 45 years to make a pilgrimage to that ground and was fortunate to meet someone who was prepared to reminisce with me. I wish Workington AFC all the best for the future. Both Barrow and the County have proved it’s possible to come back.
Very good post. Enjoyed that.
Cheers.